Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
About two weeks ago I got an email from Trail Tech, seems they were aware of my less than positive experience mentioned here. The rep asked if I would be willing to test a new improved MR16 HID light. I emailed him back saying I'd be interested.

I spoke to the rep as I was curious what improvements were made. The rep was very interested in my comments on the light. I gave some thoughts about their light construction and some other things. Trail Tech is definitely interested in correcting problems w/ the previous design and is targeting the Dual Sport market w/ the improvements.

There weren't any changes to the light housing. Internally the light has been changed. Without going into specifics the ballast and bulb were changed.
Standard Operating Procedure for TT. Get the new light and see if it works any better. Then let everyone know.

They bought back an X2 HID from me after countless replacements, bulbs, ballasts and whole lights. They sent me a new and improved version and after about the same amount of hours it also failed. End result; they stated it was not designed for street applications Hello! It is designed for a motorcycle! If my SMC were and SXC the light would have still failed.

Lots of frustration with TT. I don't know about the earlier post about TT having a good rep with off roaders, I see lots of posts about bad TT stuff.

After refunding me the $$ for my light, I continue to reply to others who are thinking of buying a TT light. They did refund my $$ but their product still sucks

And now, as usual someone in the TT organization will blast me again for posting my sour opinion of their company.

Geoff at TT

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,576
As stated earlier, I was less than happy w/ the lights and they did fail quite quickly...very little use. I was given a refund. With the refund of the 1st two lights, I spoke w/ a rep and was told the same as you, "not designed for street use," but working on fixing the problems.

At this point I, I was just happy to get a fulll refund, and not impressed w/ the HID's at all. Oh well, so be it, I got my money back.

I was contacted through an IM, through ADV rider, some 4 months later by a rep of Trail Tech, asking if I would like to test a redesigned MR16 HID light, no cost to me. Sure why not, I've got nothing to loose, it's worth a shot.

If they want to improve a product why should anyone blast a company for trying to improve it? So the light isn't the same as before but changes have been made to the bulb and ballast.

I just mounted them yesterday, and tried them out briefly on the road.. So far so good, but only about 20 minutes of use, with quite a few off and on from High beam (HID's are wired directly to the high beam).

I understand your feelings about the lights and I'll post my findings w/ the lights for good or bad.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Not Designed For On-Off Switching

According to Trailtech, these lights are not designed for the on-off procedures required for highway use, ie., slaving them to the high beam and turning them off for on coming traffic. This shortens bulb life on all bulbs, but especially HID's.
But, maybe they have fixed the issue. Best of luck to you on your road tests.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Light Improvements

I completely understand the frustrations with the MR16 and X2 line. Recently there have been changes made to the ballast and lamp in an attempt to address the needs of the street market. Our in-house test show a significant improvement, and we are hoping to have the same results in the field. Hooking the lights up to the high beam will give us a good test of the reliability even under the stress of being switched on and off.

Garridan
Trail Tech
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

So here's how I've installed the Tail Tech MR16 HID's,

Extra parts- Piaa moutning brackets
- deutsch waterproof connectors as used by Vision X
-Piaa wiring harness

Wiring the deutsch connectors

Pictured in order of assembly, those two flat black things are shrink wrap.

metal terminals are soldered to red and black wires. Make sure to double check polarity as the lights have to be connected correctly.

Push in wire prongs through the little end and make sure they are fully seated,then insert green locking tab at the other end.

Push red sealing gasket in place then shrink warp wires.

Light ready to install to crash bar.

Piaa light mount, notice the tab is facing towards the rear. This offers some protection in case of and off/on road accident.

See why???

and on

NO no one can dispute how bright these lights are. Unfortunately mine are mounted low on the bar so that hurts the range some. But range is far better than the Vision X, but it takes 10-15 seconds to warm up.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
trail tech lights

Thanks One Less Harley for the install description.
I had been looking at these lights for a while and wish I had seen this thread before I ordered them. Makes me a little nervous when I read about the durability and warranty issues of others in the past. I intend to use the Piaa mounts and keep them independant of the rest of the lights by wiring them through my Touratech fuse box. My GSA has all the lights working on HID at the moment and I am just looking for some LONG distance lamps for those late nights after 12 hours on the road and you are coming into Wibeax, MT or maybe Matawa, Ontario. I will install them in the next few weeks and then wait 3 more months until the snow disappears along with the warranty.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

No one can dispute how brite these are. Better than any LEDs, sure wish LED technology would catch up. Just no beam pattern out of the LEDs. Currently the lenses on mine are smoked some, but dosen't appear to affect light output.

I spoke w/ Garradin and he was going to send me a more updated lights, but decided not to and see how long these would last. The latest update is due to out gassing ( the whitish covering on the lense, which mine have) of the design I have. The next version has a different sealant around the lense, which should (if it works right) prevent that.

I have a few long daytime trips on mine (highway), probably 18-25 hours of use. Still working, but like mentioned earlier whitish film on lens.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
GAP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Thanks OLH
In San Diego right now and flying out to MTL tomorrow. It would be great if they work well. My nearby dealer has the Piaa kits that seem to be identical but twice the price! Time will tell.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Long time since a report. Last long trip (October) w/ the lights on was to Barber, about 5-6 hours away. Had some issues w/ the lights turning off for no reason. Checked tom make sure it wasn't a switch or relay problem, well it wasn't. Power at the lights but the lights wouldn't come on. I did see a brief flash as the lights attempted to arc, but nothing. So both lights are out right now. Lot of money for lights that don't last that long. Good thing I didn't pay for these.

If LED technology ever puts out as much light as HID and the beam can be focused then that's where my money would go.

These lights according to the Trail Tech guy are of an older design, as the "new" design has a change in the Glue(?) for the lens which should keep them from getting a white haze. I'm not sure what changes if any have been made to the light or ballast. I think the bulb or ballast are bad hence the lights not arcing enough to light.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #25
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
I absolutely love the brightness of those lights, but damn, I could never keep them working.

Don't get me wrong, TrailTech's customer support was absolutely awesome, but the lights just got to be too much trouble. With all was paying in shipping to send the lights back and forth, I could have bought a set of the Touratech HIDs the first time.

I really hope they work these out. TrailTech is an awesome company and I'd love to put these lights back on my bike.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

IMHO- not worth the trouble.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #27
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,176
This horse...is dead....stop beating it....please.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #28
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 495
I hate to say it but,,,I told you so. Sorry to hear though, at least with mine TT started to pick up the tab for shipping both ways.

If you can see past the fogging look for the bulb, no bulb=blown light, bulb in place=blown ballast. IIRC the ballasts are now lifetime FWIW

No I'm NOT sorry to beat this dead horse It need to be beat to let everyone know these lights are not a good product.

As for TT well, that's how I feel.

I've a DDM H-4 HID in my OEM rectangle that has been flawless for a year now. It doesn't have the light output of the TT but I could easily do a Buell setup or something and match or exceed the TT for the price.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

To bad you feel that way, but I wanted to update the final stage of these lights, so it's not beating a dead horse. It's my thread I started it and wanted to tell what had happened.

If I hear from TT about this post I will mention it here. As of now I'm not interested in trying any more TT lights. As stated previously, these were offered to me for free so I felt it would be good for me to tell of my experience with them good or bad.
Personally I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on these. I want a product to me more durable and longer lasting. These are neither.

OK, looks like I'm going to have to update. I pulled the TT HID lights and put the vision X lights back on. Noticed that one of the lights was flickering and/or slow to light. Further inspection revealed a bad relay. So I double checked the TT HID's and they lit up just fine.

So the TT HID lights are still working! SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 07:00 PM