Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
How fast was I going 10 min ago?

Is there anyway to tell how fast I was going on a Garmin 60CSx? I just got pulled over for "allegedly" doing 86mph and I honestly don't think I was going near that fast. The cop who gave me the ticket said his "parter" going the opposite direction was the one who clocked me at 86???

Anyways - the honest truth is I wasn't paying attention and I don't know but I really don't think I was doing more than 78 as the motor is pretty wound out in that gear. I had my GPS on the whole time with excellent siganal strength. I know it tells me my max speed (unfortunately that reads 546 mph from an airplane) but is there anyway to my max speed in the few miles before I got pulled over? (I did mark the place with a way point.)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
Is there anyway to tell how fast I was going on a Garmin 60CSx?
Hey, I always thought we'd go fast on a bike, but how did you manage to do it on a GPSr?

Anyway - the answer to your question is "Yes, but" ... The speed is recorded in the track log, which you can download to a computer and examine. You cannot revise it on the GPSr itself (i.e. not in the moment when a LEO asks potentially embarrassing questions).

--
1990 BMW R80GS and K100LT * Lausanne, Switzerland
My Motorcycle WebPages - LED voltage monitor (aka charge light)
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Thanks Joerg! Would you have any idea what program opens the track log? I tried my Garmin mapsource and that wasn't getting it...
Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
KTMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Download your tracks to mapsource, in the left side of the page, click on tracks. find the track for the date and time of the interest. right click on that track, choose show on map, then select properties. You can then see every point on the track, and see the speed at that point. When you click on any point on the track, it will highlight it on the map. It is also cool to click show profile, and see the elevation changes for that track.
Dan
KTMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Warning - Don't "Save" the track on your gps first - it doesn't save speed information when it saves. Best to upload it to a computer asap.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
pbgunrunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
what country/state were you in when this happened? As far as Illinois goes, your pretty much screwed. Go to the court date on the ticket, tell the DA that you werent going that fast and see if he will drop it to 10 over, if he wont (and the usually will, they are in that department for the wins) request a jury trial, Dont admit to speeding AT ALL in court (ie, dont say that I was only going 78 if the speed limit was 65), take in pics of your bike...dirty and loaded if you got em... then explain that your bike CANT go that fast. More than likely the cops wont show...both would have to be there for the jury trial anyway... if you were out of country...i havent a clue what to tell you.

PS- your GPS track prolly wont be admissable since its not a "certified accurate instrument"

good luck- c
Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

I was in California and I don't know the rules here ... anyone know if there are jury trials here? How about admitting gps tracks as record?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Thanks Joerg! Would you have any idea what program opens the track log? I tried my Garmin mapsource and that wasn't getting it...
Mapsource DOES get it. Just connect the GPSr, launch Mapsource, then "Download from GPS" (or whatever that button is called), and be sure to include "Tracks" in the selection. The log is called ACTIVE LOG.

--
1990 BMW R80GS and K100LT * Lausanne, Switzerland
My Motorcycle WebPages - LED voltage monitor (aka charge light)
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Warning - Don't "Save" the track on your gps first - it doesn't save speed information when it saves. Best to upload it to a computer asap.
Unless you have some antique, saving track does not erase Active Log. If you have "x" and have it set up correct, active log will also be on Data Card.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
I was in California and I don't know the rules here ... anyone know if there are jury trials here? How about admitting gps tracks as record?
Theyre gonna screw ya. I havent been to court here yet - and hopefully wont - but from what i here from my co-workers, the state is broke and they are going to do whatever they can to sap every bit of money from you that they can.

Good luck fighting it and i cant wait to see your results of admitting GPS info. I hope it works. But even if its admissible, i think the speed is actually an average speed along the leg of the tracklog that you're looking at... not a specific speed at a point. I could be wrong.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
deputy963
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Not legal advice, but...

Something to remember is that BOTH officers will need to be there. The one who witnessed the offense AND the one who wrote the ticket. If only the officer who wrote the ticket shows any testimony he makes about the offense will be hearsay.
deputy963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 AM   #12
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Unless you have some antique, saving track does not erase Active Log. If you have "x" and have it set up correct, active log will also be on Data Card.
I never said it would erase the active log - it just would not save speed information in the saved track. This may have changed since I found that out some time ago, but it's best to just upload the track as it is to the computer.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
rickypanecatyl OP
SE Asia adventure tours

Thanks guys - I got it and I was not doing 86 mph where he said - only 117 kph which is 73ish? It shows it as the average speed between points but my points are only about 70 yards apart on average ... that's just a few seconds ...

Now I have to wonder if its a good thing to fight a charge of 86 in a 65 with solid proof I was going 73. If they admitted the track log as evidence would they just give me a ticket for 73? Maybe even dig deeper and see my 103 or my jaunt down the "authorized vehicles only" trail...
Old 06-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Now I have to wonder if its a good thing to fight a charge of 86 in a 65 with solid proof I was going 73. If they admitted the track log as evidence would they just give me a ticket for 73? Maybe even dig deeper and see my 103 or my jaunt down the "authorized vehicles only" trail...
GPS tracklogs can be manipulated and won't likely be admitted as evidence.

Some times it is better to take it and be thankful they didn't catch you on the faster jaunts.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
You shoud have just paid them off.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote