User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,899
Torque Limiter upgrade on my Big Orange

While I've got my bike down for some TLC, I figured I would do the Torque Limiter upgrade.

I go look at KTM Twins. No more Kit.
Does anybody have the parts list for the upgrade?
P/N's would be helpful too.
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart

Ummm.
N/M- I found the link the the TSB, thanks to CPModem.

Found the kit number there
600.40.016.044 Goes for $221.
I may have to wait until NEXT TLC session for that.
My2Wheels
Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Oddometer: 6,413
Hey, D2B.

Re-torque the clutch pressure cap mounting bolts while you're in there (TB0804).

You can get the Torque limiter done on warranty (regardless of your warranty status) if it has actually failed.
jamesbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Oli990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Mine was also starting to make al lot of noise when starting, bike was 3 years old. Dealer replaced the torque limiter under warranty.
Oli990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbrown
Hey, D2B.

Re-torque the clutch pressure cap mounting bolts while you're in there (TB0804).

You can get the Torque limiter done on warranty (regardless of your warranty status) if it has actually failed.
I spoke with the ktm tech here once before and he indicated that it would have to be doing it all the time for it to be "Failed" I was just figuring to do the kit as a preventive measure. Do the job while it is already down for other stuff. Not have it fail out on the trail.
With our discount at Munn Racing it is only $188. I just ordered it and some other stuff I needed too.
My2Wheels
Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
I spoke with the ktm tech here once before and he indicated that it would have to be doing it all the time for it to be "Failed" I was just figuring to do the kit as a preventive measure. Do the job while it is already down for other stuff. Not have it fail out on the trail.
With our discount at Munn Racing it is only $188. I just ordered it and some other stuff I needed too.
Yeah, based on my conversation with KTM NA, it does need to be a constant problem before they'll warranty it. Better to do it as a preventative measure. There's a short write-up on the HOW.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,390
mine had not "failed", and it was warranted by my dealer bike is an 05.5 and well out of warranty.
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon
mine had not "failed", and it was warranted by my dealer bike is an 05.5 and well out of warranty.
Lucky you; I don't imagine KTM NA would check any returned parts, so it's the dealers call I guess. I don't visit my local dealer much.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Lucky you; I don't imagine KTM NA would check any returned parts, so it's the dealers call I guess. I don't visit my local dealer much.
In my case, I DO NOT want the tech at this shop touching my Big Orange. I let him do the 600 mile maintenance (at 2000 miles) and I spent the next month getting it all straightened out again.
No body touches my bike but me. Cheap insurance to pay for the parts myself. At least I know it is done right. I'll know who to look at if anything goes wrong. Step in front of the mirror.
My2Wheels
Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
In my case, I DO NOT want the tech at this shop touching my Big Orange. I let him do the 600 mile maintenance (at 2000 miles) and I spent the next month getting it all straightened out again.
No body touches my bike but me. Cheap insurance to pay for the parts myself. At least I know it is done right. I'll know who to look at if anything goes wrong. Step in front of the mirror.
I hear ya. No one is gonna give it the attention to detail that you're willing to give it when it's your ass on the line.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart

I just pulled mine apart to wash it. I was told by the tech that all tsb's were up to date. Since the head nuts are still the old ones w/o washers, I'm now going by NO TSB's were done. The only TSB that I know was done is the one I had to UNDO. The damn tank crossover tube.
I guess I'll go into the HOW and find all TSB's no matter what year. Then check every single one. I'm gonna get real intimate with my Big Orange.
My2Wheels
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
I read the bulletin, that they would inspect the returned parts and deliver 20 lashes to any dealer replacing a non repeatedly-faulting part.

My dealer replaced mine (I was within warranty). I mentioned it, that it happened once and they told me they didn't want it happening while I was down in MX. Of course they are an amazing dealer. I didn't even buy the bike from them (got it used) but they still treated me like a valued customer.

My only suggestion is if you have the job done, don't let them drill the stupid holes in the tank for the venting "fix". Ugh, wish I'd know what this entailed ahead of time.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
I read the bulletin, that they would inspect the returned parts and deliver 20 lashes to any dealer replacing a non repeatedly-faulting part.

My dealer replaced mine (I was within warranty). I mentioned it, that it happened once and they told me they didn't want it happening while I was down in MX. Of course they are an amazing dealer. I didn't even buy the bike from them (got it used) but they still treated me like a valued customer.

My only suggestion is if you have the job done, don't let them drill the stupid holes in the tank for the venting "fix". Ugh, wish I'd know what this entailed ahead of time.
Interesting. The KTM NA rep. mentioned to me that the dealer would return the parts, but didn't mention the lashes

Too right about that poxy cross-over tube
Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 512
What is it

What is this Torque Limiter thingy?
Thought more torque was a good thing, why limit it?
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
dad2bike OP
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat
What is this Torque Limiter thingy?
Thought more torque was a good thing, why limit it?
If you restart your bike when hot and hear that load rachet sound (klack)... That's the torque limiter. It is doing its job. All too well. The update supposedly eliminates the klacking.
My2Wheels