Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
RUOK OP
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
V-Strom crash bar dilemma. Buy Pat Walsh?

Getting ready for the ride to Alaska and hopefully Deadhorse, and trying to get the bike as prepared as possible. I bought a SW Motech skid and crashbar set from craigslist, the parts were in good shape but the seller didn't have any of the hardware ( the bike had been totaled in a deer collision, rider was ok ) Tried getting hardware from Twisted Throttle, they sold me the skid hardware and told me there was a 2 month wait for the bar hardware. When the skid hardware came it was missing several pieces, I called Twisted Throttle about the missing parts they said they'd check on it and get back to me, never got a reply, and when asked about the status of the crashbar hardware I was told since I was not a motorcycle mechanic they couldn't sell me the parts unless I e-mailed them photographic proof they were SW Motech parts
Considering just going with the Pat Walsh set-up, nice you can get them with highway pegs. Looking for some feedback on them, just trying to stay on some kind of spending cap this trip is getting expensive and I haven't even left yet.
Or does anybody have a line on getting the SW's mounted. Any help is much appreciated.
RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,099
My Wee-Strom had the Walsh set-up on it already when I bought it.

So far so good...the PO had a low speed get off in some gravel and I've had it fall off the side stand once and the bars did their job. Last summer I did a trip to CO and tested the skid plate on some jeep passes and although it now has a few dings in it....it did it's job and I suffered no damage to the bike itself.

Here's a pic of the bike in action after all of the above had happened!

edit: maybe I should post a pic of the side it actually fell onto.

btw...a pic of my bike on Ophir Pass is in the gallery on the Walsh website.

I do believe that I tapped it a time or two on that pass.

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 01:02 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
RUOK OP
no, no I guess not

Great pics, love the action shot, heard some concerns about cornering clearance, looks like there's plenty enough for my skill level.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK
Great pics, love the action shot, heard some concerns about cornering clearance, looks like there's plenty enough for my skill level.
Now that you mention it...I have heard that as well.

I should mention that my bike has the Sonic spring upgrade up front and rear raising links.

I have never scraped the Walsh in a corner....footpegs yes...plate/bar combo no. If you have lowered your bike I definitely think that would be something to consider though.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Get whatever bars you want. There are a bazillion brands now, and they all protect the important part- the RADIATOR. No, they aren't meant to protect the plastic.

Running Haul Road doesn't require much. Crashbars are a must for around-town work, of course. Carry a lot of helmet visor cleaner and an extra gallon of gas. No biggie.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
RUOK OP
no, no I guess not

I've already got the Motech parts, just need the bolts. I could make the spacers and probably find most of the bolts, except for the M12 x 380 that goes through frame. I don't want to spend more money but if I buy the Walsh's at least everything will bolt up ( I should stick to buying retail i suck at buying used ) I'm not concerned that much with the plastic getting scuffed, just want to protect the vitals from the occasional drop, and to keep the gravel from hitting the crankcase, oil cooler, etc.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
tedder
irregular

Quote:
I've already got the Motech parts, just need the bolts. I could make the spacers and probably find most of the bolts, except for the M12 x 380 that goes through frame. I don't want to spend more money but if I buy the Walsh's at least everything will bolt up ( I should stick to buying retail i suck at buying used ) I'm not concerned that much with the plastic getting scuffed, just want to protect the vitals from the occasional drop, and to keep the gravel from hitting the crankcase, oil cooler, etc.
Sounds like you know what you're doing. Yep, you need the long bolt. I don't know how else to get it, but try bothering TT more. If you bought it from them just threaten to return the parts and have them pay shipping unless they complete the order. They seem a mostly decent batch of folks most of the time. Ask for supervisors or for Erik if you aren't getting good answers. Really, it should be easy to get that bolt.

I'm a fan of the Motechs. They were the first brand available, so the only option when I started with Stroms. They didn't have the vibration or ugly issues that Givi had/has, so I've kept with them. I think I've installed.. 4? new pairs on my own bikes, plus some on others.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
RUOK OP
no, no I guess not

Tedder thanks for the info, I'll try to get a hold of Erik tomorrow at TT . I got a month yet before I head north, installing the guards, putting in a new battery and mounting a new front Tourance are the last big bits of bike prep left. I've wanted to see the Arctic Ocean since I was kid, and to be able to ride the Dalton, too cool. My mom lives in North Pole, when I told her I was riding to Alaska this summer, she made sure to warn me to stay off the haul road, seems like when I visited in the past ( didn't have a bike then ) many of the locals who had never even been to Deadhorse made a point that it would be certain disaster to travel the "haul road" but from what I've gathered from ride reports if I use common sense and allow myself enough time it's achievable.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Tedder thanks for the info, I'll try to get a hold of Erik tomorrow at TT . I got a month yet before I head north, installing the guards, putting in a new battery and mounting a new front Tourance are the last big bits of bike prep left. I've wanted to see the Arctic Ocean since I was kid, and to be able to ride the Dalton, too cool. My mom lives in North Pole, when I told her I was riding to Alaska this summer, she made sure to warn me to stay off the haul road, seems like when I visited in the past ( didn't have a bike then ) many of the locals who had never even been to Deadhorse made a point that it would be certain disaster to travel the "haul road" but from what I've gathered from ride reports if I use common sense and allow myself enough time it's achievable.
Pfft. Haul road isn't a big deal. Looking back, I should have done up-and-back in 24 hours to get a gravel SS1k.

But if you want to see the Arctic Ocean, know you need to call at least 24h in advance to get a ticket on the tour bus (since you can't literally drive to the ocean).
Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Hepco-Becker are the only bars that will do the job at speed.
ask me how I know.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
tedder
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
Hepco-Becker are the only bars that will do the job at speed.
ask me how I know.
You've crashed all the other brands at speed?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,015
Which raising links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
I should mention that my bike has the Sonic spring upgrade up front and rear raising links.
which raising links did you use? I'm looking to do the same on my Wee...
huzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
RUOK OP
no, no I guess not

Problem solved, just ordered the Walsh Plus system with hiway pegs. Seems like a decent setup for a good price. The staff at Twisted Throttle were helpful enough, but no one would ever get back to me with a straight answer on cost, availability or just how many months it would take to get a bolt kit from Germany. On a side note I'll make somebody a good deal on a set of
SW Motech crash bars and skid, just needs bolts, should be easy enough to get, right
Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
FJRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Thumb Altrider

I just bought and installed a set of Altrider crash bars,http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...e/Suzuki/cid/3 and they look pretty durable! I also installed a Skid plate from Narcosis Junky, (which he makes) he's on the Stromtrooper forum. http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48308Very nice and heavy duty!
FJRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
nanohiccup
in time

Oddometer: 804
Pat Walsh, only crashbars I've tried. They've been good to me. Have beat the crap out of them. Both sides & Bottom. Look clunky compared to some others, but they seem to do the job. Sastified customer