Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #16
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar
which raising links did you use? I'm looking to do the same on my Wee...
I'm the 3rd owner.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #17
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Now that you mention it...I have heard that as well.

I should mention that my bike has the Sonic spring upgrade up front and rear raising links.

I have never scraped the Walsh in a corner....footpegs yes...plate/bar combo no. If you have lowered your bike I definitely think that would be something to consider though.

I scraped mine a lot, in fact Pat replaced em twice at no cost! Awesome customer service. Heck, I even dragged the Jesse bags a couple times. LOL. After I raised the rear with links and added Sonic springs I had no more dragging issues.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar
which raising links did you use? I'm looking to do the same on my Wee...
Got mine off E-bay.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
I've got the Pat Walsh bars on my strom as well. I bought some 10 dollar footpegs off of ebay and slapped on my own highway pegs that work great.

When I got my crashbars, there was a slight issue with the fit. It was rubbing against the bodywork. Pat practically jumped through hoops and got me the correct size in a matter of days. His customer service and his standing behind his product will always have me recommending his crashbars.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
DrDale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Wicked

Be sure you also get the oil cooler guard, since that will be unprotected without the additional guard. I did have some problems with my Pat Walsh setup on the Trans Labrador Highway. The oil cooler guard caught the front fender and locked up the fork and front end. I ended up installing the oil cooler guard on the back of the cross bar instead of in front, which solved the problem, at least for then. I think I'll get a fender extender which might also prevent this from happening. I should mention that the TLH was VERY rough with huge potholes and I was bottoming the suspension frequently. Stock front springs with Ricor Intiminators with laden sag set at about 1 1/2" Planning to also raise fork fluid level to stiffen action somewhat.

All in all I've found the Pat Walsh crashbar/skidplate setup to be very effective. I've had several tip-overs and one slow speed crash, and they've done thier job admirably. Need to try to pry them back out since they've gradually been bent in closer to the tupperware with the falls...
DrDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDale
Be sure you also get the oil cooler guard, since that will be unprotected without the additional guard. I did have some problems with my Pat Walsh setup on the Trans Labrador Highway. The oil cooler guard caught the front fender and locked up the fork and front end.
So the OC guard caused damage, rather than protecting from damage?

I haven't heard of anyone damaging the OC or even the oil filter.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I have been very happy with my Pat Walsh setup. It replaced a set of Givis that cracked at the weld, with no accident. Givi actually replaced out of warranty, at no charge. I have had no issues with ground clearance, only issue is contact with front, scratching front fender.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #23
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 922
Pat Walsh with Highway pegs here....

...I love them. I also have the frame sliders from SV Racing. The combo makes for a very protective set-up.

The highway pegs are nice.

Cheers.
10/10ths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #24
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,697
Pat Walsh

My DL1K was side swiped on the freeway at 45mph by a cager. The bike went down and slid about 100ft on striated concrete.

The bars and skid plate held up and the only issue was the plat popped a weld where the bar attached to it.

Overall the bike suffered no real damage. This was the same setup I took through death valley and other places with plenty of tip overs and never had an issue.

Overall if I ever got another set for my weestrom I would get the Walsh setup without question.

Post crash pics - the pegs and bark busters took most of the sliding damage. Ground the peg down almost 1/2 inch.

Taking a nap (one of many on that ride)

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
bisbonian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
So the OC guard caused damage, rather than protecting from damage?

I haven't heard of anyone damaging the OC or even the oil filter.
When you install the bars you find that you can put the oil cooler guard either in front of or behind the cross-bar. In front of the bar can cause the fender to rub at full suspension compression.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #26
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Pat Walsh crash bar system

After reading this thread and too many other pages, I got my crash bar set from Pat Walsh last week and got a mate, Skip, to help me install them.

Photo 1: Step 1 was probably the hardest - removing the side-stand bolt. That thing was practically welded on at the factory. Out with the air gun and impact wrench thingy to loosen that blessed side stand.

Photo 2: All done. Crash bars, skid pan, oil-filter guard (the mesh bit) and ... ta daaa ... highway pegs! Also, new steel footpegs to replace the slippery-when-wet OEM ones.

Photo 3: I likey the highway pegs

old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
jokermtb
Blues Ripper

Oddometer: 112
nice shoes!
jokermtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #28
Bluerocker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Up for the Challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK
Problem solved, just ordered the Walsh Plus system with hiway pegs. Seems like a decent setup for a good price. The staff at Twisted Throttle were helpful enough, but no one would ever get back to me with a straight answer on cost, availability or just how many months it would take to get a bolt kit from Germany. On a side note I'll make somebody a good deal on a set of
SW Motech crash bars and skid, just needs bolts, should be easy enough to get, right

Dibs on the '...good deal ...". I may just have the parts to make it work.
Sent PM and email.

-Bluerocker
Bluerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #29
aussie ttoad
T.T.O.A.D

Oddometer: 124
I have SW crashbars, they fit perfect, look like they will protect the bike and look good on the bike. They where easy to fit and seem to be a quality product (have not USED them)
aussie ttoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #30
PSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I just put on a set of Altrider bars, they look nice and I hope I never need them. I also this weekend am installing Cherdan's radiator guard, oil cooler guard and after I change the oil and filter his skid plate. I ride only an occasional gravel road. Around here there is often some junk on the road due to farm equipment, occasional logging, sand /gravel pits, plus tar and chip road coverage and repairs.
PSO is offline   Reply With Quote