User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
70 mph slide on the pavement

I never post here in FP, although I have had countless opportunities as I am mostly an off-road rider.

My screen name, crashmaster, came from some riding buddies that over the years have been amazed at how well I seem to crash.

Frankly, this forum scares me so I dont visit much. Anyway, I had a nice little 70 mph pavement slide back in September that I figured I would share with you. I had posted this in my RR, but it seems pretty appropriate to put it over here as well.

Since then I have had one spectacular crash in Nicaragua when I got crossed up in some whoops, and the other day I high-sided in the rain, at night outside of Medellín and did a superman into oncoming traffic.... In all cases I was wearing full gear. The only crash that injured me was the one in the whoops. Getting fucked up in the whoops on a 500 lb. dual sport has a tendency to hurt. That one took me a few weeks to recover from.

I hope this will convince folks to wear ATGATT, and maybe to drop the bucks for the good stuff as well.

The long straight stretch of Mex 1 south of Chapala was virtually deserted, or so I thought. The moment I hit the pavement my brain kicked into neutral thinking, ah, this is kind of nice to riding on some long straight deserted slab for a change. Butt on the seat for once, and I relaxed. For some miles I was riding behind Miguel. In 6th gear at that speed my RPM's were a little on the low end so the motor was kind of chugging. I decided to bump up the speed to get to a smoother rpm for the motor. In order to do this I had to pass Miguel.

Like I said, my brain was in neutral and I was lulled into complacency thinking that we were the only ones on the road as I had not seen another vehicle for miles. I got on the centerline and started to pass Miguel when I felt my rear end get bumped. I immediately knew what happened. There was a vehicle behind me making a pass and I was so brain dead that I didnt even check my mirror. I was instantly down, sliding with the bike for what seemed like an eternity. But in real time I separated from the bike immediately, then continued to slide down the pavement head first, on my back before I started to tumble. I was told that I tumbled around 10 times but I dont remember it. All I remember is that when I started to tumble I instinctively brought my hands and arms into my chest. I've been down at high speed numerous times off-road, and I have to say that this was a pleasant experience by comparison.

When I stopped I was lying in the middle of the road and my only thought was to crawl to the side and get off the highway. After that I was simply lying there with my eyes closed taking stock of my condition. I can wiggle my toes. Good. I can move my fingers, good. But damn, I dont feel any pain, I must be really messed up. Am I alive?

After a few seconds I cracked one eye open to see the guys standing above me. I looked at Miguel with one eye open and said, "I think I'm OK." Then I got up, started to walk around and realized that not only was I unhurt, but I had zero road rash, not even so much as a scratch on me.

We loaded up the bike into the Dodge Ram and headed for the closest, town, Guererro Negro.

My handle bars were broken in two so Ramon (the driver of the truck) took me to a welder and got the bars put back together. We then went to the Malarrimo Hotel, took stock of the situation, and decided to further evaluate the bike the next day.

The bike was still rideable but needed some patching up. It fared surprisingly well because it simply slid on its right side and never tumbled, and never hit anything.

CJracer will be mighty proud of how well his clutch cover held up in the crash.

Soft bags dont do so well on pavement.

It took me most of the day to get the bike back in shape to ride any distance.

The only casualties of the day:

My pride
shredded backpack
burst camelbak
handlebars
right mirror
broken support frame under the headlight mask
headlight mask
dashboard mount
throttle cables
hand guards
one bent fork
cracked lower triple clamp at one of the pinch bolts
throttle lock
right tank and tank guard
bent subframe
bent luggage rack
helmet
scuffed up riding gear

And finally, the front bumper of Ramon's truck.

The following day I rode the bike to San Qunitin, then the next day home to San Diego.

The Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket is an amazing piece of gear. I got mine with the quad armor in it as well.

This is what Motoport gear looks like after being tested sliding and tumbling across rough ass Mexican asphalt at 70 mph.

This kevlar is amazingly tough stuff. Incredible actually. On top of that NONE of the stitching blew out either. The pants had a pretty good abrasion in only one area, but it didnt even go down to the inner liner. The jacket, well I think the way it looks after a crash like this is nothing short of staggering.

Funny thing is that I was kind of wavering about spending 400 bucks on just an armored jacket as there are many cheaper option out there, but none nearly as good. The Quad armor pants were another 300 bucks, but well worth it. Very cheap insurance if you ask me.

Helmet: Shoei Hornet. face shield and beak were gone but my head feels fine.

Gloves: Motoport stretch kevlar. Except for some scuffs on the right glove knuckle plastic, they are in great shape.

Boots: SIDI Crossfires, non-SRS. If I had been wearing anything less than full MX boots I'm pretty sure I would have broken an ankle or foot. FWIW, I always wear MX boots, even when street riding, you get used to them and they are well worth the protection.

Like I said, I dont like visiting this forum, but I hope that my experience will at least show the value of good riding gear.

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 01:05 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Holy crap !!!!

Man, you are one lucky dude!!! Just wondering if the guy that "bumped" you stopped and if he is responsible in any way? Glad you told your tale, thanks for the reminder about our blind spots.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Man, you are one lucky dude!!! Just wondering if the guy that "bumped" you stopped and if he is responsible in any way? Glad you told your tale, thanks for the reminder about our blind spots.
Yes, I was very lucky that I was not run over by the pickup.

The guys that stopped were the guys that hit me. I wish I could say it was a blind spot that caused the problem, but the fact of the matter was that I didnt even check my mirror before attempting to pass Miguel. Totally my fault.

Simple complacency. I fucked up, it bit me, but I'm lucky the tuition was as cheap as it was.

Pretty stoked on my riding gear though. They pretty much have me as a loyal customer for now on.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700
Dude, you need to chill.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
rspennac
Super n00b

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster

Pretty stoked on my riding gear though. They pretty much have me as a loyal customer for now on.
...uh I think he'll fix your pants and jacket for free. I have a motoport outfit too. I haven't tested it though.

I'm glad that you are ok.
rspennac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Dude, you need to chill.
I'm working on it but sometimes I just cant help myself. The superman the other day through oncoming traffic in Medellin was a bit spooky I must admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspennac
...uh I think he'll fix your pants and jacket for free. I have a motoport outfit too. I haven't tested it though.

I'm glad that you are ok.
Yeah, they patched everything up for me, but they did charge me a few bucks to do it.

I'm now a big believer in the Kevlar mesh material. That is some super tough stuff and it flows air like you're wearing a T-shirt.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
rspennac
Super n00b

Oddometer: 311
I was going to ask if you slid and tumbled but then I decided to help myself and re-read your OP. Yep, you slid and rolled. Clearly your gear kept your skin off the road. Lately the little voice in my head (not the crazy one, the other one) has been telling me that my gloves are the weak link to my gear. There is another active thread where a guy hit a dog. I think he has a little road rash but his gloves were trashed!! If I go down I want my gloves to come up looking like yours.

I really had to look hard for the abrasion in the pictures, they look unscathed. I orginally spent $50 on my gloves. Next time I upgrade, probably soon might be to the ones you have.
rspennac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
x_hog_ridr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
You don't visit this place much, but you have over 2000 posts?
I visit all of the time and I guess I do not have much to say...
x_hog_ridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
bwolfgti
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Crazy the gear held up that good. Glad you didn't get hurt really. I can just picture you laying there and then opening one eye to see if you are ok. I just find that funny.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr
I think he meant he doesn't visit the face plant section much.
Glad to hear you were came out of it unscathed. I want to get some Motoport gear as soon as I can afford it. They have great riding gear and an even better warranty!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr
I just dont visit Face Plant much. It scares me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspennac
I really had to look hard for the abrasion in the pictures, they look unscathed. I orginally spent $50 on my gloves. Next time I upgrade, probably soon might be to the ones you have.
My right hand knuckles hit the pavement first so thats where the abrasion comes from. Last week I did a superman and slid on the pavement hands first, palms down, for about 60 feet, and the gloves are still fine. The road was wet though so I'm sure that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfgti
Crazy the gear held up that good. Glad you didn't get hurt really. I can just picture you laying there and then opening one eye to see if you are ok. I just find that funny.
Actually, when I first cracked an eye open, my first sight was of the two guys from the truck, standing over me making the sign of the cross over and over. I said, "not so fast fellas, I'm still here." They really freaked out when I laughed, jumped up and started walking around.

A little bit about the gear. Its all Motoport. Motoport is near my home, so I just made an appointment, went down to the shop, got measured and ordered up the stuff. I'm in the middle of 2 year motorcycle trip so having good gear was very important to me. Screw the new fancy exhaust pipe or other bling for your bike. Save the money and buy good riding gear.

The jacket is kevlar mesh with quad armor. (elbows, shoulders, back, ribs) This is not the poly mesh that melts to your skin. With the quad armor, its heavy, its bulky, but flows air like a champ and had kept me from getting busted up in numerous crashes. The quad armor is good stuff from my experiences.

Pants are Motoport stretch kevlar street jeans, with quad armor (knees, front and rear thighs, hips) as well. The stretch kevlar is not a tough as the mesh kevlar, but I wear this stuff 12 hours a day and I need to be able to walk around in the pants.

Gloves are Motoport stretch Kevlar. They are not comfortable at first until you get them broken in and wash them a few times. However, they flow air well and are tough as nails.

Boots. I always wear Motocross boots. Nothing else even comes close to giving the same level of protection.

I know a lot of folks prefer leather. However it is my belief that the current kevlar material is much tougher than leather. JMHO.

All that said, I grew up riding dirt bikes and I grew up wearing full off-road gear and crashing the shit out of every motorcycle I got my hands on. I actually broke my CR 125 Elsinore in half when I blew a jump and threw it into a tree. I'm hard on the equipment. I'm used to wearing full protective gear. Without it, I feel naked. If you typically ride around in jeans, hiking boots, and a flimsy poly mesh jacket, at first you wont like wearing real gear. But, you will eventually get used to it and after a while, you wont get on a bike without suiting up.

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 05:36 PM
Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Ouch

Sorry to hear about your crash.

I too have done the ~70 mph slide. Mine was on a track though, wearing an Areostitch with less than 500 miles on it. The suit was pretty well totaled, luckily my helmet did not touch the ground.

Glad to hear it sounds like you will ride again.

And BTW, I will never understand not wearing good full gauntlet gloves, and agree with the general notion of function over form. If it does not have a practical purpose, I don't buy it.

Tom
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider
Glad to hear it sounds like you will ride again.
Tom
Yup, that crash was 4 days into a 2 year journey. 8 months later, I'm in Colombia, same riding gear.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
1kstep
knewb

Oddometer: 9
Motoport

I have IDENTICAL gear to what you were wearing. I went down in the desert going about 30 MPH on a dual sport ride and thought I'd just lucked out for not having a scratch on me. I LOVE SiDI crossfires and the motoport gloves...are AWESOME.

- Lao Tzu

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

- Ben Franklin
1kstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
RC3094
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Good to see you walked away and your testimonial for the Motoport gear is top notch. I've worn leather for years for the abrasion protection but it sucks for not breathing well. I'm gonna check into the Motoport line for warm weather and keep the leather for cooler weather.