ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #166
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Thanks for reminding me. Things have been hectic with my new job and moving but I will try and get another batch made. Black or white?
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #167
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
Thanks for reminding me. Things have been hectic with my new job and moving but I will try and get another batch made. Black or white?

Ouch, thought you'd be going back to the same ol' when ya got back. I can understand how that goes. I'd probably be best off with white, it'll be going on a darkened Memphis Shades windshield I picked up for cheap .
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #168
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Thumb

Fun report, Mike!

(you crazy rucker)
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #169
HBN
is car free

Ruckin' A! Thanks OnO
Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #170
HBN
is car free

Impromptu Camping with DCRider

Bloochdog was generous enough to allow me to borrow his F350 to complete my move on Saturday and I returned it to him Sunday

I rode home just in time to meet Eric, pack my camping gear and head off to go camping

We rode over to h14xl's house to bother him and keep him from doing organization and garage chores. Always a fun time visiting with him
His home is surrounded by Mennonite farms so we had a little traffic getting off his road

From here we rode up to Reddish Knob to scope out the landscape and enjoy the fall leaves. The colors up here change much sooner on account of the elevation. I cannot wait till the whole area is alight in the bright oranges and yellows of fall. My favorite season.

Eric surveying the vista, a true explorer

Lending to its namesake "Reddish Knob"

The hunters were out blocking the road with their trucks. A little while later we pass some hunting dogs out and about. Somewhat skiddish and inquisitive, they just sorta stared at us as we rode by.

Down to Hone Quarry, we rode up the dirt road past the lake but the old campsites I frequented in college have been tank-trapped and closed off to public access. We turned around and camped at another site I used to visit.

I brought along some fresh trout, corn and a couple beers. Eric had some beans and lentils and scotch. We ate like kings relaxing to the sound of the nearby creek and crackling fire on a warm fall night.

Washing hands in the creek...

I slept great and enjoyed trying out my new Eureka Solitaire tent. In the morning we packed up and were riding by 7:30

We rolled up to Dayton and had a filling breakfast at the Thomas House Restaurant, good country cookin and quite affordable.

And Eric had a donut for desert

Back home, mowing the lawn, washing the bike and going for a run. Great way to spend Columbus Day

Expect some moving updates and future ride reports around the greater DC area.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #171
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
When you move to DC will you be getting a car or are you going to rely on public transit and your stable of bikes?
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #172
HBN
is car free

No car bikes and metro
Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #173
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,950
When are you going to DC? We have friends in Alexandria. May have to pay you a visit when we get up there again.

Traffic sucks, but there is a shit ton of exploring and learning to be had there

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #174
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
I rode home just in time to meet Eric, pack my camping gear and head off to go camping
Great ride HBN, good chatter, and way delcious trout dinner, thanks!
If you ever get tired of the geographer/GIS gig you might try your skills at becoming Iron Chef Ninja

DCrider screwed with this post 10-12-2010 at 05:37 PM
DCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #175
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Oh wow, you're moving to DC? Awesome. I rode in it for a couple of days. Tried sticking to the Metro, but got sick of it and just took my bike. It's actually not that bad, really. I mean, sure it's a city, but everyone has their own set of rules that're extremely easy to become accustomed to. The only things I can complain about are the taxi drivers (same with any city or state, ugh) and the people who turn right on reds from a non-turning lane when you have a green arrow. Beware!

If I had to pick a big city to live in, I'd probably pick DC. If my CX500 can handle it, your Strom and Ruckus will do awesome.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #176
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,007
Hey HBN, How'd you like the solitaire?

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #177
HBN
is car free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
Hey HBN, How'd you like the solitaire?
I was actually quite pleased with it. It had just enough room to fit my sleeping bag plus small backpack and jacket in the front. It will work perfectly for stealth camping in the future and sets up/takes down very quickly which is an added plus. It packed small enough to fit into my pannier under my gear and weighs very little. I will test it out with some scooter camping in the near future

My only complaint is that the toe of my bag touched the wall/end of the foot area and I had some condensation on the bag down there. I will have to be careful not to push that far down in the tent.

The weather was warm enough for my hammock though...
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #178
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Hmmm... you already know I'm wanting to rain on your parade
At almost 3lbs, there are "real" tents and/or tarps that make more sense to me. Condensation and room to get away from wet gear are always an issue with bivy's and small bivy-like tents.

In my obsession to find the bestest, smallest possible shelter, I've concluded that an ultralight, small (<30sf) 2 man tent is the way to go.

I picked up one of these for $100 on ebay:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...nt_review.html

I think with one pole (steep sloping slides) it's a tolerable 2 (intimate) person tent and a great 1-person. Spent a week in the Haitian mountains in it - lots of rain - and it performed admirably. It's about as low (weight/size) as I can go with a real tent (mesh, floor, etc). And it's just a hair over 3lb. Only possible complaint is smallish door - no worse than bivy-tents.

Don't get me started on tents

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #179
HBN
is car free

Very true. At $55 though, the price was right on this one. I also like how low it sets up and can be hidden behind the bike somewhat. If it doesn't work, I'll just sell it for about what I paid and move on.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #180
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
Very true. At $55 though, the price was right on this one. I also like how low it sets up and can be hidden behind the bike somewhat. If it doesn't work, I'll just sell it for about what I paid and move on.

True dat...

I'm still looking for the perfect tent. I've just finally quit believing anyone's claims about ventilation and breathable (single wall) fabrics. I've tried pretty much all of them. They ALL condense, sooner or later. And when they do, I like a roomier canopy. It's a big deal to me cuz we like our down bags. Earlier this summer I spent a week on a glacier in PNW, sleeping in a $600 Hilleberg. By week's end, my bag was sopping wet. So much for the finest mountaineering tent money can buy

One thing I've learned since then, is to carry a tiny microfiber "backpacking towel" and wipe down the walls every now and then. I can often wring out a half cup of water.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote