ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #226
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
No the battery was $100 which is a great deal for an Odyssey. After I typed it, I knew some smart ass would pipe up but I didn't feel like going back and editing it on my phone.

The other GPS items were from GPScity.com and had the best deals on individual RAM items with very low shipping costs.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #227
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN
No the battery was $100 which is a great deal for an Odyssey. After I typed it, I knew some smart ass would pipe up but I didn't feel like going back and editing it on my phone.

The other GPS items were from GPScity.com and had the best deals on individual RAM items with very low shipping costs.

No, that's a great deal on that battery. I think you just called me a smart ass.

Gee it's nice to be understood...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #228
HBN
is car free

Okay...so it has been quite a while since I last posted to my mini-RR thread here. I have moved up to Northern VA and the cold winter months are finally starting to disappear. With the thawing ground and blossoming flowers, I figured it time to share my first short 1000mi trip of the year with anyone interested.

My trip down to SC was for a family funeral which was sad but visiting with relatives, close and distant, was both memorable and enjoyable. After the services, I departed Spartanburg for a ride to Brevard, NC to stay with my uncle and aunt. This first set of pics were taken along 176 and 11 through the Peach Country and farms of NW SC

Feeling like spring down here with the Wysteria in bloom!

MMmmmmm I cannot wait for some of these to be ripe and ready!

Just making sure they work

(Nice Kennedy 4.5" Hydrant by the way!)

A peach packaging operation

Yes Indeed!

Riding up 11, Table Rock

Then turned up 178 for some twisty fun! I rode 276 a few times last year but haven't been on the less busy route to the south. What a great suggestion! Not too technical and many great spots to stop for pics.

Playing with the colors

Self portrait!

Thank you Mr. Highway Engineer

Through the spokes...hey I need to get in there and clean a bit

There were a number of "Fix-me-uppers" out there

This old logging truck just past the NC line was a wealth of photos waiting to happen!

I made it safely to the cabin outside Brevard and enjoyed my stay with family. The furry family sure loves to bark at deer...and there are a LOT of deer

I awoke in the morning after a round of heavy T-Storms rolled through. The air was crisp and much cooler than the warm 80's of the previous two days. I set forth into the wet morning and soon passed through Brevard and north toward Asheville. Pockets of showers remained hanging in the hills and the sky spit on me through most of the day.

My goal was to ride the BRP as far North as I could. Temps were in the low 40's and continued to fall as the elevation rose.

Then I had to rub my eyes...is that snow!?

Grumble

The lighting was beautiful as rays broke through the clouds

I ascended and eventually reached a "Road Closed" sign that was only half open (the other half of the road had no barrier) so I continued upward imagining they were doing construction somewhere and I could possibly pass. As I rose higher, not far from Mt. Mitchell, the snow increased on the roadside and it was clear to me that the T-Storms in our area last night had materialized as Snow up here. The ice lined the edges of the BRP and in places, like moss on a wet WV back road, crept over the side stripe of the highway. When the conditions turned to slush I began to slow and look for a turn around area. It was just about then that a Park Police office descending the road stopped and flashed his lights at me. I pulled over in the adjacent turn around and he wheeled his cruiser around to interrogate the idiotic organ donor riding the BRP past "his" ROAD CLOSED sign

After some choice words with me, he let me go and I had to retrace my path South in the opposite direction of home. I'll chalk this one up to the "Young and Dumb" category of riding and RR's

I sped down 70 to 40 then hopped on 221N through some beautiful hills and rejoined the parkway around the Linn Cove Falls area. As I wound back down the parkway, my spirits soared and the views were just wonderful! Then it began to snow.

Around Grandfather Mtn (pic above), notorious for it's weather patterns throughout the year, the snow intensified with 25mph winds and lower visibility. I was hungry but it was too cold to take my helmet off so I continued on into the white stuff...

Here is the famous Linn Cove Viaduct with some flurries around

Things began to clear up shortly after this but the winds were still high and the temps in the low 30's...I shoulda stayed in the lowlands...

Price Lake, a spot I camped at with Dad on our southern trip together was peaceful and empty

So I took a walk down to the water through the dense Laurel

Then continued North as the temps fell some more. Notice the ice on this sign for effect

Things began to clear up and the Parkway had a "Closed to Thru Traffic" sign ahead so I detoured for gas into Sparta, NC via back roads. Man I love my GS for these sorta things

And I love my G9 for these sorta things

Eventually after Floyd, I joined the BRP again until Roanoke then jumped off on 460W via some back roads where I took this nifty picture:

The remainder of the trip was just a blast on home via 29>64>231 then through Orange and up 95 from Frednecksburg. I made it home in time to enjoy a delicious meal with my beautiful girlfriend and relax with a glass of Old Vine Zinn before work the following day.

Expect some more pics in the weeks to follow as I have some camping planned
Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #229
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Cool pics... It's pretty country down through there. I had to go to Mississippi for business a couple weeks ago and rode the bike. We took back roads all the way across central GA. Peanut farms and pecan orchards everywhere.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #230
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,047
Nice HBN!
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #231
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,819
Well done HBN!

I learned how to drive a truck(tractor trailer) in an old 1959 Mack similar to that.

Funny you posted that old Chevy school bus. I did the same two days ago in another thread with this old Ford...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #232
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Dude you take some sweet photo's.
Young and dumb? Nah, just adventuress.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #233
HBN
is car free

Seneca Rocks Camping

This was my second camping trip of the year off the GS and I can't wait to do some more. Things can be more cumbersome when you have two of each item but I am managing. It is well worth the time to consider and pack gear efficiently so as to maximize space.a

So here are some pics...Arriving at camp at Seneca Shadows Walk In sites

Say...what is this Chinese American Valve nonsense?

The campsite down below from Sunrise Trail

This time of year, it feels at least two to three weeks behind the spring so full in the east.
h/photo/ZqAWPc2sxocf5eNsgmAo0Q?feat=embedwebsite">

The Sites Family Cemetery just off the trail to the corner.

And now for something a little brighter aye?

Heavy Rains for the past week have raised the river and local stream levels

Down below behind the visitor center is the Sites Family Homestead (same family as the graveyard on the hill)

Take a look inside:

bzzzz

The main hiking trail to the rocks was closed so we took a small hike around the base of the trail...

Then...it was pizza time at the Front Porch

Watched the spider wrap up this ant:

Enjoyed some Mountaineer Brewing Co. Vandalia Ale and lit a fire just in time for the thunderstorm to hit. It doused my fire and off we went to stay dry under the tent. Magic Hat also saw a drink

Watching the sunrise above the rocks from my sleeping bag is one of the nicest parts about camping at the Walk In Seneca Shadows sites.

Packed up the gear and were off riding around 8:30 for a stop at the family restaurant on Briery Gap Rd. Doh! Closed for Easter. Onward to Spruce Knob!

Sprinkles moving in so we headed down to get some coffee

Then wound up back at Seneca Rocks Proper for a cup and bagel at the Climbing School/Coffee Shop

Very nice dog

Departed and enjoyed the warm temperatures and dry conditions. Stopped a few times on the way home for pics and removal of layers:

Strasburg

Gotta love the old rail tools and carts

Then off we traveled to the land of traffic and cell phones...

We'll be doing it all over again this weekend at LF. See you folks there
Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #234
Hack

Oddometer: 3,752
Hey Mike, nice pic's. Need me to bring you anything to Laurel Fork? What flavor?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #235
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Excellent photography as usual. Thanks for getting me psyched as I'll be doing a week in WVA next week.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #236
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,020
Laugh

Looks like it was a great spring ride Mike, trying to get out again soon myself, can't make LF.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #237
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Good stuff Mike
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #238
advridgerunner
RESIST WE MUCH !

Oddometer: 1,071
hey Mike, good pic's, as usual!
seems as there is' a woman in the mix ???
Hope to see you at my campout this year!

1981 CBX (missing it already!)-
advridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #239
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Things can be more cumbersome when you have two of each item but I am managing. It is well worth the time to consider and pack gear efficiently so as to maximize space.a
that has got to be the most Dog Dammed romantic thing I have ever heard. Good thing the BMW still appears to have her fooled.

Corporate Downsized - Screw it, I'm doing the TranLab

Wife and kids left, I'm going to WV
littlelionmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #240
HBN
is car free

I will be in NY this Memorial Day