ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #271
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,119
Nice Mike and Lauren! Mike, Love your pix as usual. Lauren, I love the last one... the nuke plant with the buggy sign... classic.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #272
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,022
Nice trip u 2 rambl'in ninjas! HBN, 2 hotels in 1000mi, and only 1 in 8300mi last year, what's the dealo?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #273
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Nice trip u 2 rambl'in ninjas! HBN, 2 hotels in 1000mi, and only 1 in 8300mi last year, what's the dealo?

..... .........

Awesome pics.. my wife and I almost did that same trip for our anniversary but we went to the Grand Canyon and the supercross finals in Vegas instead.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #274
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
NYC Trip Report

Shortly following our trip to the NY Finger Lakes, we set forth to The Big Apple for Memorial Day for a Met's Game, visiting family and general sightseeing for this non-city boy. We departed at 7PM on a Friday with a monster storm bearing down on us.

Sitting at the traffic light by our house, it began to pour rain as the dark angry front pushed above us. The light turned green and we roared off slowly accelerating out of the storm. Winds howled whipping the bike from side to side in the lane tossing limbs and leaves across the roadway. Each stop light found us slightly ahead of the lightning strikes and terrific winds until we pulled onto 495N and remembered why the motorcycle is the most exciting method to travel between point A to B.

Another Harley rider rolled up right behind us and we both cruised the outer loop into MD at a "brisk" pace watching this in our mirrors.

The remainder of the ride up to NYC was typical 95 aided by Lauren's EZ Pass to speed up the toll nonsense (Thanks!)

As we began to get closer to NYC and rode over The Outer Bridge and the Verrazno Narrows Bridge, she snapped some pics.

I thought these were sorta neat!

Must have missed the "Beware of welding" sign

We made it to Grandma's House deep in the woods of Queens after being chased by the Big Bad Wolf and turned in for the evening.

The following day was spent via train and subway exploring NY (my first trip since I was a child) and Central Park. Here are just a few pics. Album available here.

Then we capped of the evening with a Met's Game at Citifield

And a beautiful sunset!

The following day, I went for a solo ride to get lost around The Big Apple.

My first stop was Flushing Meadows Park, home of the 39/40 and 64/65 World's Fair.

This dude totally photo-bombed my shot and if it wasn't Memorial Day Weekend, I would have totally rolled up that curb and to the big globe.

Then down the BQE (great on a dual-sport bike) to Brooklyn

That looks like fun. Also probably much cooler than this stich' in the 95 degree heat!

Most of these shots were taken with my G9 while riding in traffic. Living on the edge? Maybe...

Then with the temperature gauge on 7 Bars, I rolled into Manhattan in search of a spot to let the bike tick cool. And to get out of the stich for some water and evaporative cooling of the underarmour.

Perfect...a hot dog stand for $1 and some shade courtesy of the sky-scraper.

Oh...what street is this?

Nifty!

I just missed the shot of the Marine (it was Fleet Week) shaking hands with this duck. Drats.

Wow...just a little dense aye?

Closer shot of the Church of the Trinity (I think)

Spotted this GS on Wall Street. Something tells me this stock-broker type may not be as globe-trotting as his bike suggests.

Down by Battery Place

And over to Ground Zero WTC site.

Wish I could have stopped but riding in NYC is um...stressful sorta.

Then over to the West Side where I realized I needed to get back to meet everyone for a dinner of Cuban Cuisine!

30 minutes to get back to Queens...can he do it!?

34th St was a traffic nightmare. Engine Hot. Me hot. Time running out to get back. Who cares...enjoy the scenery. Like Macy's.

And this surprisingly well composed shot. Did I mention I took all of these while riding.

After some time, I made it to the Manhattan Tunnel and scooted back over to Queens direction.

Traffic got backed up like crazy. Total Gridlock on the LIE so I gave good distance and lane-split behind this cruiser for about 5 miles. I ain't proud of it but geesh was it hot and the bike was at 7 bars again. Whatever.

A big glass of Vino Verde and Cuban food was a great end to the day.

We woke up to a passing T-Storm then had Bagels and Lox. MMMmmmmmm!

We loafed around and eventually hopped on the bike for the return trip.

Memorial Day Colors

Grandma wanted to come but sadly not this trip
[IMG][/IMG]

It was 100 degrees so we just kept up to speed and made one stop for gas and ice cream in the loudest rest stop EVER on the NJTPK.

Total trip mileage upon the return:
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada

HBN screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 01:29 PM
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #275
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Hey Mike - Great pics and writeup! I wish I had known you were passing through central PA... would have loved to meet up with you at Bullfrog. Oh well, maybe next time!

Anywho, I was thinking of going up to the Finger Lakes with the fam in August... did you do any camping? If so, where?
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #276
HBN
is car free

Nope, sadly didn't do any camping up there this go around - had to save room for the 10 bottles of wine we wound up bringing back That'll add some weight to the bike. GREAT Reislings up that way!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #277
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,370
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAC View Post
Hi everyone, it's HBNette, aka Lauren! ...

...he took me to a castle. We’ll call it even. :)

Great report and pics, as we've come to expect.

I've been curious about the finger lakes for some years now. As we followed along on the map, I was hoping to see some pictures of nearby Ithica area, as our son is considering a post-doctorate study with a highly respected researcher in his field at Cornell University. Being one lake over, I expect it's close to the same beautiful features. The notorious winemaking region adds an additional draw.

Sorry your camera died; I hope you get that sorted out because between you two some very telling and alluring images have been conveyed. I'm curious to know where the above image was shot, if you can recall.

Thanks for sharing. Blessings to you both. I'm on to peruse the NYC ride report.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #278
HBN
is car free

I believe that shot was taken on the Susquehana River just before we turned north along the less congested eastern bank.

View Larger Map
Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #279
Kawikazi
Loose Cannon

Oddometer: 359
New York

Hey Mike,
I see you were in my old stompin grounds. One more month and I'm history. August 5th is the last day.
Kawikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #280
HBN
is car free

Congrats!!! Make the most of it and try not to pull any crazy shit (sewage treatment jokes)

Will certainly drop you a line when we finally make it over to the valley once more. Send my regards to Lauralee and folks!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #281
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

WOW NYC!
Thanks for sharing the great shots and story. I don't know if I could do NYC on two wheels; I think you've got bigger cojones than I.
Did you ever feel in danger (of being robbed or stranded) or threatened in any way (angry motorists, etc.)? Are there certain areas you knew to stay in, or away from? How risky do you think it would be if you were to have an incapacitating failure in that environment? Now that you've experienced it, would you generally reccommend touring around the big city on a bike?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #282
HBN
is car free

I never felt like I was going to be robbed but in that heat, I would have decked any sumofabitch that messed with me...was not in the mood. I would NOT recommend touring the city on a bike unless it is watercooled and you enjoy the stress. Two-up would not be very desirable either. The city is best enjoyed on subways and buses where you can get around much quicker and really get a feel for things. I had fun but I don't find myself wanting to do it again anytime soon. I rode through Queens and Flushing Meadows area as well as Manhattan. Lanesplit a bit on the LIE (shhhhh) and enjoyed the experience and built a memory or two. The roads are absolute crap and the traffic, especially in the big city is rather insane. It may be more enjoyable in cooler months but I doubt it.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #283
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
I believe that shot was taken on the Susquehana River just before we turned north along the less congested eastern bank. ...
It looks beautiful there. Thanks for embedding the interactive map so I could locate it. Hope to route through there some day.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #284
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
... I had fun but I don't find myself wanting to do it again anytime soon. ....
Maybe on the Ruckus?
I appreciate the enlightenment. Perhaps when we visit relatives in the area it would be best to park the bike at one house then use public transportation to swing by the others. I, for one, know I would be nervous riding in that environment and worrying about problems arising, and we all know what that can do to concentration. I can imagine what might happen to bikes parked on the street overnight, and stranded riders would make easy targets, too. Grandma must have a fenced yard and/or a garage, eh. I'm glad your experience was positive.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #285
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Mike and Lauren,

Thanks for sharing! You guys rock!

Jimmy