ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #376
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,021
nice HBN, btw what model Nuvi is that?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #377
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
Nuvi 500. It doesn't have Canada. DAMHIK
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #378
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
FRIDAY
Sat in some terrible traffic until it finally opened up and I sailed out 66 the whole way to get some mental distance between myself and the hustle and bustle of the city.

I often ride with others but just wanted to get some miles in under my belt and not have to stress about others keeping up or following me, Captain U-Turn around on some aimless photo safari.
I almost always slab out of town... Get that crap behind me as quick as possible.

Hey.. I thought I was Capt U-turn? It's hard to reconcile all the stopping and turning around with the riders along with you. I like the freedom to make no fwd progress in my "aimless photo safari". (well put)

Thanks for the documentary work, as always, I enjoy your reports and photography very much!
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #379
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Nuvi 500. It doesn't have Canada. DAMHIK
Put a massive card on it and buy Canada. I shelled out the money and bought France for a trip and it was worth every penny for one who does not speak French and hates to ask for directions.

Helped find this place.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #380
HBN
is car free

Man I've really been slacking on the RR's but making up for it with riding. Time to update some Ride Reports. A nice rainy night like this is just what I need
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #381
HBN
is car free

Ontario on a whim...

Friday:

Leaving work and sitting in I-66 usually looks just like this for an hour until past Gainesville. I have no clue how folks can do this each and every day!?!

Once out of the traffic, life was good. Stopped in at High on the Hog BBQ in Sperryville for a sandwich. I almost choked when she told me it'd be $9! That is craziness. it was good but not $9 good. I won't be returning.

The view of Masanutten Mountain and the River from this rise is one of my favorite views of the South Branch of the Potomac.

Made it to the BWDR cabin just as the sun was setting. Hung out with Bloochdog, Macorell24 and Gastone overnight until morning.

Saturday:

The fog hung low on the river surface

I cruised outta camp early before 6 and made my way NW through the valley.

The apple blossoms up near Gore, VA

second or third U-turn of the day for this shot

En route to Paw Paw

Went for a short walk on the C&O canal to the Paw Paw Tunnel

From here, I checked out the GPS and noticed the Green Ridge State Forest was just to my NW. That seemed like a neat place to check out with those ridgeline roads so I went exploring through there. It was wet from the recent rains but there was nobody around.

At one point on the ridge road I passed a slow-moving car. A minute or two later I looked over my left shoulder to discover I failed to secure my case lid and it was sitting WIDE OPEN. The only casualty was a half eaten bag of chips that disappeared. I picked up some trash later in the day to sorta make up for my mistake. Woops.

Twists and turns looking for ramps

Continuing north of Green Ridge into PA is a nice ridgeline road that travels for miles in the NE direction

What a classic

Any road with grass growing in the center is worth a visit in my book...even if it is a dead end that the GPS doesn't know about

I saw Alan up on the hill and waved while taking this shot. He waved back

Spotted this neat Ural in the town of Everett

Fruit trees in bloom

My impromptu destination was the Elk Viewing area in PA.

SEEN IT

What are YOU looking at!?

I went searching for Elk but found none maybe another trip in the future is in order

I made a break at this roadside spring to fill my camelback and change out of the long johns and layers underneath my riding gear. Much cooler, I resumed my trip. Where to go...?

Cruising up along the beautiful rivers and mountains of Northern PA

Spotted these deer. Unfortunately they spotted me and crossed the river

Ramp Success just near the NY border

Picking and a-munchin on some ramps. Way better than gum when nobody else has to smell your breath

and shortly thereafter...

With blue skies and plenty of daylight yet, I figured I'd continue riding north. Why the hell not.

One funky wind turbine...somewhere 20 mi west of Letchworth St. Park

Spotted this old Huey painting on the side of a shuttered bar and took a snap for pops. I think the artist came outside in the dark after a long night at the stool and worked on it

The height and angle of this church built out of local stone was impressive.

Ahh the Erie Canal...we meet again

Well I rode until I couldn't go any further. Lake Ontario...I made it.

The campgrounds were closed and nothing nearby seemed very busy. I was a month or two early for "the season" and it was still perceived as winter up there despite them not having had "real" winter in three or four years. I found someone's outdoor pavillion used in the warmer months. It had clearly not been used all winter and I thought they wouldn't be coming tonight this late. Home sweet home and a sunset.

I made a dinner of quinoa and garlic herb rice with tuna, some whiskey and a chocolate bar. Life is good. Bed comes early. The moon was bright.

Sunday:

The following morning I awoke before the sun, packed quickly and set out to roughly follow the lake. About three miles down the road, I rolled over a lucky number.

By chance I happened across the Shoe Tree once more. I made a visit here during my last trip along the lake shore.

Time for sunrise!!!

Just so I remember, I gather rocks from the various places I visit. I took one of these soft rocks to go with another from my last weekend trip.

CANADA!!!

A little illegal parking never hurt anyone...

Rainbow Bridge and it's stupid toll. Whatever...Canada here I come

Mini-Vegas as I like to call it.

This guy eye-raping my motorbike while I sit in Timmy-Ho's and have coffee and a doughnut.

Them-thar's big buildings

and space needles

Wimpy US Side

Almost brought this home for Mom.

Heading back over the bridge. The customs official asked the nature of my visit: "To get some coffee and a donut from Timmy Ho's" He asked me again...then chuckled. "You drove all the way from Virginia for a doughnut!?"

The industrial wasteland of the Erie lakeshore near Buffalo was sad, desolate and made me curious for what the future may hold. What massive industry and commerce will be obsolete in my lifetime?

Other ways to Canada

Skew Arch. This thing was cool. Check out the shape of the bricks and how it curves through the tunnel.

Hanging out in a cemetery...you know how I roll.

Oh deer

Yup. Up North.

Moving on back toward home, the skies began to look ominous. I received a text message from Dr. Beard who was heading to NY at the same time I was heading home. It read: "You're going to get wet". He was in a car so I replied "You won't"

HELL YEAH - THE FUN STUFF!!!!

Gas country

Riding an old railroad track

Things got a bit muddier and squirrely

then they just became insurmountable

Folks, I present to you Kinzau Bridge. It was knocked down during a microburst thunderstorm a few years ago. There is a park here I just didn't know it was on the other side that was paved. This was decidedly much more fun

After retreating due to rain and having taken too many dang pictures...I came across this little bridge and a road to nowhere. I wonder where it once led.

Temps plummeted into the 40's and the skies opened up. I just set the GPS for home with shortest distance/no highway and let the good times roll. This couple on a Harley were riding at a quick pace with no helmet or gloves on through wet mountain roads and hard to see centerlines. Crazy.

hours of this

Around 6PM, I was pretty chilly and the constant 20mph wind was not helping matters. I sought shelter in a carwash to make a cup of Chipotle Rosa Pasta for dinner. Unfortunately the wind shifted and was blowing straight through the stalls of the car wash. Fuck it. Man up and make some dinner.

Warmed slightly from the meal in my belly, I set out again into the cold and wet mountains.

Spotted a ghost on this tree.

It grew darker as I approached 270. It was time to beat feet home after hours of riding and cold/wet conditions.

Hell of a weekend. Canada on a whim.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #382
HBN
is car free

From Wedding to Where-da-fug-ami?

I had to attend a College friend's wedding in Berryville. I dressed very nicely then made my way out there midday. It sorta threw a wrench into my weekend plans of riding all over the place but I enjoyed the time with him. Shortly before dusk, I made my exit, hopped on the bike and set forth to meet Dr. Beard at our agreed upon location: one of 165 campsites within a 300 acre nature preserve. How hard could it be!?

Rainbow

I passed this old Model A but apparently so did Matt shortly before me as he was somewhere up ahead.

To all those folks dancing at the wedding...you are missing this (oh and you probably have glitter on you - that just sucks)

Beard and I woke the following morning and hit some awesome twisties. In the middle of nowhere we came across this giant roadside figurine display in someone's yard. I have no clue...

Matt stopping to support AMERICA

We visited the Paw Paw Tunnel. Second time in as many weeks for me.

Green Ridge State Forest negotiating a stream crossing

much greener than last weekend!

Dr. Beard doing his thang

Yup...that'll do.

I loved the louvered hood and wheel arches on this really old school bus. I wonder if it once drove this old weather beaten dirt road.

Just one of many U-Turns for the day. GPS doesn't recognize closed gates very well.

TONS OF TORQUE

Windows Desktop in 3....2....1....

Some random covered bridge with fisherman

Raystown Lake

Stopped for lunch/snack

wait a second...what the hell is Beard doing!? That bike is a virgin!

I just liked the name

Opel GT in its final resting place

Big Valley

Amish

Spotted this cool power line cut so we rode up to see what we could

Then into a hidden valley on the other side of the ridge for miles and miles of gravel fun

Rest time. Weary bones and dehydrated muscles.

This section of road was fabulous.

Father and son fishing in their small town on a Sunday afternoon. M'erica

LIFE IS GOOD

Dusted Beard. Sorry buddy. They had recently graded the roads and the rocks were slippery and washy like crazy. Took some getting used to and had to stay really loose on the controls.

In Gambrill State Park for the night. This shit is crazy

Spotted this neat rock formation off the gravel road. I'm looking forward to hiking this area some more.

may sleep here:

I set up camp along a side road and had some Indian food along a stream. It was delicious and washed it down with the rest of my whiskey.

After camping out next to the small creek and hearing the voices of the water all night, I woke early and reminded myself I needed to be home at work by 9. No poblem.

Do I have a cure for the Monday blues...

Creepiest Van Award goes to this guy

I opted to ride the backroads through MD to get home to Arlington. I avoided most of the rush hour and never got on the highway
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #383
Hack

Oddometer: 3,756
As always
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #384
HBN
is car free

oops tossed another one on there while you were posting. Check again

Thanks Hack
Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #385
Hack

Oddometer: 3,756
You are welcome and yet again
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #386
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
+1
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #387
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,091
Love it! SOOOOO much involved. I know cuz I just posted 4 photos in my thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #388
HBN
is car free

Ha thanks. I have a few more RR's in the works ...may make a cup of coffee
Old 06-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #389
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,424
Awesome as usual from you Mike. I think you have inspired me to take a ride to Maine tomorrow. My moving time versus stopped time will probably be a little different than yours though.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #390
HBN
is car free

Great Kevin! Enjoy the trip