ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #391
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,227
Great RR as always Mike...
I have some of the very same Can. Shots when we went there in 08...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #392
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
Laugh Michaux Camping - Hey Jax

Leaving work at 5PM, I paused to take a picture of Rosslyn and the colorful tall buildings.

Now it was time to get the hell away from that until Monday.

After 45 minutes of some traffic and two lane slow pokes, I made it out into the Maryland countryside.

I made my way around Frederick and up toward Gambrill State Forest and Catoctin Mountain Park

The sun was sinking lower but I kept riding...

I stopped at the top of Catoctin Mtn Park for a shot with this sign. The road even had its own turn around loop...I'm sure I was being watched.

But the flowers were beautiful so I turned 180 and took a shot of the bike and the trees too.

On down the dusty road. The sun had just set and it was prime time to find a place to camp for the night before it got too dark. Now where the heck should I go?

I wound up camping off Rattelsnake Run Rd or something like that. I set up my hammock along a stream about 25 feet from my bike. I made some tuna and rice then washed it down with a srrupy sweet bud light lime-a-ritta that I bought on a whim when hot. It was dreadful and little was consumed. Fortunately the price was low. I had whiskey as a backup. I slept well.

The next morning I was up and packed in 15 minutes and rolling down the road by 5:00. I thought my watch said 6:00 in my hammock when I awoke but I was an hour off. Whoops. I wound through the dark rocky roads at night picking through washouts and washboard turns down to this lake. The dawn light basking on the surface was beautiful. Thirty minutes from now and it'd be many colors. Perhaps I can find another lake by that time

Yup. Headed north into Caledonia State Park

Where I found some sweet gravel roads

And an old Iron Furnace

I was getting quite hungry so I made my way to Shippensburg for breakfast. Not wanting McDonalds, I poked around till I found this little gem.

Western Ommlet

Full. I made my way out of town snapping some pictures along the way. I set SW for the mountains.

Then on up the mountain!

The color was so vibrant and lush as the sun rose. The wind blew softly from time to time making the leaves shimmer.

Around a bend I saw a parking area and a small trail so I stopped for a short stretch and hike up to see what I could.

Taking a nice rest along a stream on Bear Valley Rd

Walking back to the bike I noticed this sign. I know a guy by that name

SO COOL!

This is all one truck

This electric bicycle was really cool. I just saw one for sale locally on craigslist with a 1960's engine. Perhaps this could be a fun adventure

The tower at Antietam Battlefield

Always a moving place to ride.

Set my GPS around to the river and mountain just east of Harper's Ferry

HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #393
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Leaving work at 5PM, I paused to take a picture of Rosslyn and the colorful tall buildings.
Awesome pics and rides as usual. How much research do you do before you go? or do you just wing it and stumble upon all this niceness?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #394
HBN
is car free

I used to research and plan out my trips to a T. I found that the strict schedules or destinations were nowhere near as important to me as the journey itself. For the past three or four years, my goal has been to find a general area, see if there is anything promising in Google Photos, Terrain View for neat mountains or valleys and RoadsideAmerica.com for regional oddities. While I'm riding, I'll generally pick a place on the GPS in the general direction I want to go then set it to No Highways/Shortest Distance and let Garmin work it's magic. THe result is typically an equal number of U-Turns as amazing photo opportunities and found gems.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #395
RebRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Mike, great Pics as usual..thanks for sharing..

Maybe you could give some photography classes

====================
Beard and I woke the following morning and hit some awesome twisties. In the middle of nowhere we came across this giant roadside figurine display in someone's yard. I have no clue...
====================

oh if you havent looked it up it is
The Farnham Colossi Unger, WV
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10965

and of course it was a tag location for the EWVPH tag game. 495
2001 Triumph Tiger
RebRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #396
HBN
is car free

Ah neat! I felt like I had seen it on Roadside (an App I use often)

Glad to give some pointers. Feel free to PM me. Nothing too hard you couldn't do with a p&s and some post processing.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #397
HBN
is car free

Gaw-ja Trip #1

I have a number of family scattered throughout the south so it is nice, on occasion an when the weather is pleasant, to head south for a visit. This is just such a ride report.

I scooted outta work on Friday at 5 and did the traffic shuffle all the way to 29. Speaking of shuffle...I felt a bit of wiggle in the rear and stopped to inspect it. Sure enough, I forgot to secure two of the bolts on my rear wheel. Dumbass. That could have been deadly.

Back to the RR. So I'm kicking it cruising along 29 headed as far south as I can make it with daylight. I pick Dyke Rd to bypass Charlottesville in the midst of evening rush hour. I really just don't like other cars on the road if I can help it.

Near Walton Mountain

I fueled up in Crozet, got some beer and snacks, made a visit to Hppyfngy and went up to the BRP.

I always stop here.

The picturesque Christmas tree farm just N of 56.

I decided to turn in early and made a stop for a church I scouted out on googler earlier in the day. Up the gravel road I ascend.

I thought this would be a quiet place to spend the night and hop back on the parkway in the morning. I took some leftovers I had packaged in tinfoil and heated them up on the header.

It was a bit chilly so I put on my hat. I slept comofortably out of the 20 mph wind that howled all night and blew the tree branches into the cemetery. The moon was full and illuminated the scene in a calming blue glow. I did not hear many critters.

The next morning I woke up before the sun, quickly packed my bag, plugged in the electric vest and set on down the parkway.

Otter Creek

Open fields outside Roanoke

I love seeing these Stella 150 2T Side Car rigs. Crack me up

I stopped at Tuggles Gap to get some gas and maybe breakfast. They looked very busy and I wasn't incredibly hungry so I just got gas and went on my way. The $5 piece of pie will have to wait till next time

Mabry Mill. I couldn't be troubled to stop. Been past it so so so many times

Same with this sign.

Riding is all about seeing what's over that hill...

This French guy had rented a Camaro SS with the 427 and was very happy to show it off and then do a burnout as he left.

Grandfather Mountain and the Lynn Cove Viaduct

I absolutely love this bridge.

The light green of an early spring at elevation.

The Orchard at Altapass

I think that is the highest mileage I've ever received on the GS

When you enter some of these tunnels, it is absolutely pitch black. The transition from bright summer day to darkness is so quick eyes cannot properly adjust...especially with sunglasses :eek

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUY!

I followed this dude into some corners for a bit at 30-40 over and he nearly lost it everytime...with a passenger no less. I backed off and let him do his own thing. It was pretty scary.

The scenery above 5000 ft is magnificent. I love the balsalm and spruce

I met up with my aunt and uncle on a Goldwing and ST1300 at Mt. Pisgah. We then descended to their beautiful mountain home from there.

I always love riding with my aunt and uncle

Waterfalls along the roadside

I spent the night with my family and then set out to my sister's place in GA. Leaving their gated neighborhood, there are so many deer with little care for motor vehicles...

Oh Dam. I imagine this was once much more majestic before being dammed upstream.

I rode down to Highlands, NC. This quaint and luxurious mountain town is just up the amazing twisties from Bridal Veil falls. This has been on my list for years so I had to make a detour. It was raining but who cares.

That road was killer.

Self Portrait:

Well what the heck are they looking at?

I pull over to see.

I decided to go for a short hike higher up this stream.

A view of N Georgia from the mountains looking south.

All sortsa strange painted metal shit. Art they call it. Yeah...Art.

Found some dirt around Black Mountain, GA

And out of the rain and mountains down to the hot fields of hay.

Lake Burton

What trip to the south would be complete without a shot of the Baw-ld Peanuts stand

Just tearing up the twisties on 17/75. I remember riding this road with Dad in 2009 and had to make a return visit. What a blast.

After going up and down the mountain twice, I set south to the Alpine-themed village of Helen.

Even the Motels...

Yup...she about sums it up

Being Memorial Day it was PACKED. The line of cars heading south (from ATL) stretched at least three miles.

Name that car

Atlanta in all it's hazy hot glory

Perfect weather for cutting hay

I had a great time visiting family (pics omitted). We ate well and seeing my nephew grow up is a rewarding treat.

The following day I was back up in the mountains poking around.

Winding around some backroads off Hwy20

Trolling it up

Back in Highlands, NC

Getting lost on some dirt road.

Just as the sun set...I realized I should probably find somewhere to lay my head for the night...

MIddle of nowhere for 10 minutes. Me and my favorite sign machine. We go way back.

Sweet I found a campsite and a beautiful stream.

This would be a great place to camp tonight but I am stupid and crazy. The sun was up for at least another 45 minutes and riding time wasted ain't my mistake. ON I GO

To be rewarded with these spectacular views.

Up to the Spruce Bald but it was too cold...had to head down. It also started raining.

Things got cold, dark and cloudy as the BRP wound higher and higher into the spruce and pine

The cool breeze was welcoming

Alright...now it is finally time to not be an idiot and go boondock somewhere before you hit one of the many deer.

I rode the Mt. Pisgah Hwy (151) down to a nice pull off in the forest.

I set up my hammock, had a beer and leftover sandwich from my sister then went to sleep.

I awoke around 2AM to some bird flying around the hammock. It spooked me at first but then I didn't give a damn and went back to bed...for a few hours. Around 4:00 I heard a distinctive Cock-a-DOO about 15 feet away. WTF

Sure enough there were three roosters in the trees around my hammock going at it. There weren't any houses nearby and I was in the National Forest at 3000ft. Whatever.

Off I go to enjoy the sunrise!!!

Mmmmmm Turkey

Poking up to Craggy Gardens where I made coffee and had breakfast at the deserted picnic area.

I slipped down in the shadow of Mt. Mitchell to this tight valley and beaufitul stream.

Hung out here for quite a while as they cut the grass.

Good job boys.

Well I'll be damned!

No really...most of the population of this state probably thinks I will be

Riding "The Snake" - Hwy 421 is best on a weekday morning when NOBODY is around

Shady Valley, TN

Yeah I'll take some

The world's shortest natural rock tunnel...I believe. Just outside Damascus

This church was absolutely stunning. The texture of the wood was phenomenal.

SELFIE

I rode Hwy 58 for a while then turned onto some fun back roads and twisties just getting lost but aiming in generally the right direction. I spotted a turn a little bit later for Raven Rocks. WTF!?!? I've been here before but from the North. I stayed at this campground once when I grabbed the VA tag and circumnavigated the state of VA in a weekend. Cool! I'll go take a lunch break over here and snack while I reminisce.

Oh...oh my.

All of them were sealed. Someone was NOT getting lucky I can only imagine what the story behind this aftermath is...

I leaned on the precarious bike the wrong way when getting my water bottle and shit went pear shaped

Yeah my bike fell right on top of the condoms but I KCCO'd

Lead Mine

It warmed up quickly so I sped up to run directly into this T-Storm. For better or worse...it worked. NO pics but it sure did rain...

I discovered my iphone cable had been sucked into the wheel. Whoops.

KICKING IT

Up on the BRP enjoying the views.

Making great time when...more construction at Mile 5. Doh!

and a little gravel. YES

Finally headed on back home on 29

Beautiful sunset over the blue ridge.

The T-Storms that missed me left a beautiful fog over the area.

SAY WHAT THE HELL!?!?!
v
My nuvi is on the fritz and sometimes loses signal only to find it again somewhere way way off. Mileage was closer to 1400 for the weekend.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #398
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 873
Great write-up and beautiful photos. You took pics of certain sights on the BRP that I wished I had stopped to take, so I'll just look at your photos for the memories

I believe that's a Z8 btw.
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #399
jbmac
Mitten Man

Oddometer: 127
Keep it up

Every time I see a new post for this thread I get excited. Love your style.

Mid-Michigan Tag-o-rama
jbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #400
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Glad you're taking time to go to church these days. ;)
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #401
HBN
is car free

Bliza wins the price Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have a few more in the works! I just moved and spent the long 4th weekend backpacking through the Cranberry Wilderness. I hope to get some work done on pics and a new RR this week.

A few teasers from another trip to GA, KY, TN, NC, VA, WV I took two weeks after the last.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #402
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,227
That's great to know HB and I are NOT the only ones who check out RSA...

That's how we found The Mystery Hole
ANd many other cool places...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #403
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,777
Awesome Mike!!!!
115 ave MPH over 35 hours. Musta got there before you left. Clearly a wormhole manifest.
Beautiful shots man. You are the man.
Looks like your family rides in a sweet place!

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:17 PM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #404
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,548
We stopped at the same place in May.

Little too warm for the Aerostitch this trip? I didn't recognize you at first in the Joe Rocket jacket.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #405
HBN
is car free

Too cool. Smart minds think alike!
Actually I was just lost. Maybe lost minds think alike

I carry both jackets. The GS has so much space and I pack so light I can stash an extra jacket in a sidecase. This works great so when temps soar above 85, I can swap out for the less armored but more comfortable mesh jacket. When the skies open up, back on goes the stich. Having a two piece suit now really makes things more versatile.