Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #481
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 456
bianchi-prata vision

Noticed that Bianchi-Prata was wearing a go pro cam on his helmet during the Estoril-Merrakech race in June. Just found the video. You get to see him on the final stage, following David Casteu as previously shown on eurosport.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bianchiprata#p/a
Old 11-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #482
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,191
Jmo, The CRF450x newer versions are fuel injected

Aussie66, trust me the crf's are just as fast as a ktm et al..

a Month left... cant wait
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #483
mtrehy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
Jmo, The CRF450x newer versions are fuel injected

Aussie66, trust me the crf's are just as fast as a ktm et al..

a Month left... cant wait
The x's are not fuel injected. The bike is unchanged since 2008. The 450R (motocross bike) is fuel injected since 09.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #484
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by escuchamente
Noticed that Bianchi-Prata was wearing a go pro cam on his helmet during the Estoril-Merrakech race in June. Just found the video. You get to see him on the final stage, following David Casteu as previously shown on eurosport.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bianchiprata#p/a
Man, that shot when he's riding directly into the hovering chopper is intense!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #485
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrehy
The x's are not fuel injected. The bike is unchanged since 2008. The 450R (motocross bike) is fuel injected since 09.
yep my fingers type my bike...good catch
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #486
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
For a fact, an unmodified 450X engine is not as fast as a KTM or other euro. If you start to change cam and piston etc yes then they are as quick but reliability becomes an issue.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #487
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 461
KTM450Rallye

KTM450Rallye

Join Dream Racer on Facebook
Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #488
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Dont get me wrong, the Honda is a very capable bike, and for 90% of the riders its not outright speed that is required, its reliability. Its the 10% of the riders that need the speed and thats where the balance comes into play.

Making a fast engine generally will cost reliability, so how fast? how long should it last. Ultimately from bivouac to bivuoac with a reasonable margin of safety.

Aaah anyway, i dont think there will be very large differences between the bikes and i reckon any bike will be capable of running up front. Rider & navigational skill's with the ride mindset will make the difference.

I think for example Jabob Smith is capable of running up front, especially if he has people in sight but that advantage reverses if he wins a stage then he is out front on his own. isnt rally racing great. tactics. :)
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #489
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
Man these guys go fast....
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 AM   #490
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara
I seem to recall talking or hearing Annie talking about it during the Safari a couple of years ago. Don't recall the detail but I seem to remember her commenting to me at a check point or somewhere about how 'she was not used to it' and was said in some negative tone. I am sure SafariBerg will set the record straight here though.

I would see a high amount of steered inertia from all that equipment especially being so far from the turning axis.
Yes in 2009 Safari we went with a smallish triple clamp mounted fairing and nav gear set up. While the riders Annie, David Schwarz & Andrew Coaker said it was ok they all felt it made the steering noticeably heavier

For 2010 Safari I asked the riders, Annie & David again as well as Ze Helio for their preferred set up, options being
  1. Dakar style fairing head stem mounted - like Mecasystem ones
  2. 2009 Safari small fairing again
  3. enduro lights with bar mounted nav gear - al la GHR
All 3 said they wanted light simple enduro style set up

This worked well, BUT again at the end of the event all 3 riders commented that they still felt it on the bars compared to the Dakar style stem mounted fairings they had all used a lot before.

So for 2011 Safari it will be a hybrid, reduced Mecasystem fairing mount bracket off the head stem with enduro light & mask plus nav gear = light simple cockpit to KISS and mounted off the frame not the steering

So far we have tried the 2 set ups above and the more traditional Dakar style, this is the Mecasystem nav mounts & fairing from their KTM530 kit which pretty much bolts on.

So I hink the hybrid will be a best of both worlds hopefully
Old 11-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #491
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
This I wanna see.

Unless it is secret, a dedicated thread is the right thing to do. Please don't skimp on the finer detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
Yes in 2009 Safari we went with a smallish triple clamp mounted fairing and nav gear set up. While the riders Annie, David Schwarz & Andrew Coaker said it was ok they all felt it made the steering noticeably heavier

For 2010 Safari I asked the riders, Annie & David again as well as Ze Helio for their preferred set up, options being
  1. Dakar style fairing head stem mounted - like Mecasystem ones
  2. 2009 Safari small fairing again
  3. enduro lights with bar mounted nav gear - al la GHR
All 3 said they wanted light simple enduro style set up

This worked well, BUT again at the end of the event all 3 riders commented that they still felt it on the bars compared to the Dakar style stem mounted fairings they had all used a lot before.

So for 2011 Safari it will be a hybrid, reduced Mecasystem fairing mount bracket off the head stem with enduro light & mask plus nav gear = light simple cockpit to KISS and mounted off the frame not the steering

So far we have tried the 2 set ups above and the more traditional Dakar style, this is the Mecasystem nav mounts & fairing from their KTM530 kit which pretty much bolts on.

So I hink the hybrid will be a best of both worlds hopefully
Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #492
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,195
While we're on Husabergs

Hasse J (a Swedish mate of mine) took a few leaves out of SafariBergs playbook, and over the summer built this "rallye lite" FE570 using the MecaSystem fairing/nav' tower concept (from the EXC 530 kit).

Using the standard 8 litre Husa' tank, plus the 4 litre 70 degrees racing rear subframe tank, the bike is as slim and nimble as the original enduro bike... And Hasse reckons with the FI motor, those 12 liters will be good for 140 - 160 km's or there abouts.

With the cockpit mounted off the headtube; the weight is off the bars (it steers and turns lightly) and the fairing shields all the nav gear/electrics nicely. Just a bit stiffer in the springrate and bump up the damping on the forks a tad, to cope with the few extra kilo's up the front... and it's a pleasure to ride!

Having ridden it a few weeks back, the only thing I can say (personally) that is a bit of a drawback is the obscured vision forward in technical terrain... I nicknamed it the Blue Rhino. While you don't notice it so much at speed, in open terrain (looking up ahead), the high screen creates a bit of a "blind spot" when the going gets tight (or cresting dunes for example)... but hey... that pretty normal for a "fairing style" Dakar bike.

The above set-up would probably make for a very light and nimble nav- rally/enduro style race, like Sardinia or the Italian championship events.

For TUAREG 2011 we are going to build two similar FE450's using a small enduro mask/roadbook/ICO set up off the triple clamps and the garden variety Garmin GPS on the bars. By using the standard Husa' tank, and the 70 degree racing rear subfram tank (a' la' above), we have a lean/mean rallye (lite) machine. For the longer stages we have the option of throwing on the Safari/Aqualine rear side tank for the extra 10 liters (if needed), which on the 450 should be ample for up to about 250 km's. For anything more than that there is the possibility of also mounting the front auxilliary Safari/Aqualine tanks (as pictured on Annie/safariBergs bikes at top) which fit over the top of the radiators (where the plastic shrouds normallly go) and these would give ample fuel range on a DAKAR /FIM style rally (250 km minimum refuel distance) plus some safety margin.

Looks like there are going to be afew Husaberg Rally bikes around in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #493
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,149
Looking good Troy!

You might want to consider that Safari rear tank (if only in place of the 4L one) as part of the build for the Tuareg, as they require a 250km range too.

Jx
Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #494
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Looking good Troy!

You might want to consider that Safari rear tank (if only in place of the 4L one) as part of the build for the Tuareg, as they require a 250km range too.

Jx

Nope;

Regulations - Technical specification:

At scrutineering, the following will be checked.

- fuel range of 160 km Off road (motorcycles)

from the tuareg-rallye.com site... two minutes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #495
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,149
Fair enough - I know when I did it in 2008 they said 250kms would be required (you get a couple of long days down to Merzouga and back, plus a long one in the south), but I guess they've revised the route and/or logistics so there are more fuel stops available now?

There are certainly a lot of enduro-with-big-tank bikes on the Tuareg, so I guess they factor in a lot of people wont have more than around 15L on board?

Jx
Closed Thread