Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #46
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake

Oddometer: 390
Great trip and awesome ride report. Love the pics. Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #47
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Lookin' mighty fine! Ya also got an eye for the extraordinary things, like the rocket-van/bus....love it! What's with the boots Jess are wearing: not really convenient when ridin' a bike, I guess??
Anyway, have fun and take care!
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #48
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
Lookin' mighty fine! Ya also got an eye for the extraordinary things, like the rocket-van/bus....love it! What's with the boots Jess are wearing: not really convenient when ridin' a bike, I guess??
Anyway, have fun and take care!
Greetz, Hans.
Yeah, we like the unusual and the unique. I suppose that's one reason we travel.

Those boots are so Jess can reach the ground on her bike. She just finally got it lowered enough that she no longer needs the lift & got 2" taken off them.

The Big Trip (aka Le Grande Tour), Year 1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585393

6 months in Europe on a Duc
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217104&highlight=jackl

JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jackls

JackL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #49
Todd2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Well, looks like I'm subscribed....................................... for the next 20 years!

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #50
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

Fairbanks to Deadhorse to Fairbanks to Anchorage

We all stayed with Ramey, ADV rider Driftwood, in Fairbanks for a few days. Did some bike maintenance, picked up supplies,
and chilled a bit
Ramey & the dogs.

Cuan & Leslie needed to be in Anchorage well before we did so they took off to Deadhorse a couple days before we did.
We finally got out of town & headed north until we got on the

Jessica's fuel problem returned about 30 miles south of the Yukon river crossing where we were going to gas up. While she tore down here bike to
figure out the issue I headed up to fill our spare tank. She still had quite a bit of fuel in her tank but we decided to empty it in case it was bad or
had water in it. We upturned the tank & I gave it a whack & a big hunk of plastic fell out. I was the inside of her fuel cap & it had lodged inverted over
her petcock. Problem solved.

We camped overnight & pushed on the next day. It began rather smokey from some far off fires.

We finally reached:

When we left Fairbanks it was 86 degrees & was still quite warm when we got here so we thought we'd do something different.

Jess was still having some small problem with her fuel tank. She had gotten one of the pieces of the petcock on backwards so when
we reached Coldfoot she transferred her remaining fuel to my bike & fixed it.

Fueled up & fed we continued north. When anyone talks about the ride to Deadhorse it seems it's all about the destination
but it's a beautiful ride in itself. Lots of different terrain, gorgeous mountains and some wildlife. Heck the trucks weren't even
too bad & most were friendly. Even the road, except for one stretch of about 15 miles, was great.
We finally came to Atigan Pass.

Since were were north of the tree line the views were spectacular.

The mountains opened up into the tundra

We came across some caribou.

Of course the nice thing about summer up here is you can ride as late as you want before making camp.

The next day we continued north mostly following the pipeline.

They cover the roads with calcium chloride which really covers the bikes & gums up things.

The temperature was still fairly nice until about 30 miles from Deadhorse when it plummeted to about 40 but we made it.

We'd decided to splurge & spend the $45 for the tour which is the only way to get to Prudhoe Bay. You can't come all this way
& not stick your toes in the Arctic Ocean. To tour was pretty interesting too.

Oil heading south.

Burning methane I think.

And Prudhoe Bay which is very shallow. You can walk hundreds of meters into it. I only went this far.

Jess went a wee bit further.

All the way under.

After that all so important gas stop & chow we headed south to warmer climate to camp, which we did in a low set of hills.

Jess kicked back a bit.

The next day dawned cold with intermittent rain. We waited for a pause in the weather, packed up quickly & headed out.
We made it about 60 miles before we got really miserable & then Jess's bike died. I doubled back & it came to life so we
pushed on. I was trying to get back to our campsite from 2 nights before to get out of the wind & her bike died again. Just
uphill from the site. She coasted in & we set up the tent.

We set some of our clothes to dry.

It rained the rest of that day but the next day looked better. A bit warmer and we could see the mountains in the distance.
As we pushed south the sun came out but I noticed my engine growing warmer. Fortunately I had been warned of one of the
weaknesses of the KLR by a friendly flagman on the way up. The
calcium chloride gums up the radiator. It was easily 1/8 inch think.

We got stuck on the top of Atigan Pass for about 20 minutes waiting for some equipment to come up. Glad I don't have this guys job.

Here you can see how bad the calcium is.

We dodged squalls back to Coldfoot where we avoided a huge storm while having lunch, a hot drink, & a cold beer.
We didn't know what was causing Jess's problem but new it had to do with the rain so decided to press on while the
weather was good. All the way to Fairbanks. We rolled into town at a cold but dry 3:30 AM after 19 hours of riding. At
the gas station Jess tells me she left her pod-belt with her wallet and camera in it back at the last gas stop at the Yukon
River crossing. Then about 2 miles from Ramsey's my chain broke. Crap. We shuttled my gear to his place & left my bike
by the side of the road.
Ramey & I collected it after a few hours of sleep. Fortunately it was the master link that broke so I gave it a good cleaning
& lubrication & put on my spare link.
Fortunately a nice old lady found Jessica's pod-belt & returned it to her in Fairbanks.
We spent a few more days at Ramey's doing bike work & checking out Fairbanks & meeting his friends.

We then headed south to Healy, just north of Denali to the next ADV rider's, Paul aka Denalidirt. He rode out & met us
out of town & put us up at his place in a spare trailer (on left).

Paul, his girlfriend Dana & their baby outside his photo business.

Paul also hooked us up with many Subway subs & a rafting trip!

We got the cool guide. It was her last day.

They said we could get in the river if we wanted. Jess did.

We took the bus ride in Denali out towards Mt McKinley cause they won't let cars or bikes out there. It makes sense since
it's a narrow winding road & thousands of people go out there every day. Besides this was you can look around at the beautiful
scenery & wildlife. We saw a lot more caribou, a fox, mountain goats, and way off in the distance a pack of wolves.

We did not see the mountain since it was clouded in, like most days.

After another great night at Paul's we headed south towards Anchorage with a quick stop at the Igloo.

I happened to glance to my right & there it was, The Mountain.

Traffic in both directions stopped and it disappeared behind the clouds again in a couple minutes.

Our next stop was at this strange place, WalMike's.

We stopped in Talkeetna for lunch & to say Hi to Jeff, a friend of Ramey's, for him.

As we pushed on it started to rain & about 20 miles north of Ancharage Jess's bike died again. Again it restarted
but only for another mile or so. We pushed it off the freeway & decided to call AAA. Many people stopped to check
if we were all right or needed any help. After 3 hours AAA still hadn't showed up so we walked to the nearest house
which was one of the people we had talked to. We met Travis, put our bikes in his garage, got pizza & beer & slept on
his couches that night.

The next morning dawned bright & sunny so we continued on into Anchorage. One of the guys who stopped to help
worked at a bike shop, AK Cycles, & had arranged for them to open early to look at Jess's bike. While there they said
the local Harley shop had camping for motorcyclists. This is one of the best signs I've ever seen.

We had the place mostly to ourselves.

I think I'll leave it here for now. Next Anchorage to Homer & back and what to do with 2 broken bikes?

JackL screwed with this post 12-08-2010 at 07:03 PM
Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #51
sukhoi
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

ride on! I just love the kawasaki green, what a great trip!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #52
Superball
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Looking good, darlin'

This is looking great, darlin'. Mwah!

(Oh, and you repeated the previous photo when you meant to use the pic of Paul, Dana, and their baby.)

Love ya!

Superball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #53
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superball View Post
This is looking great, darlin'. Mwah!

(Oh, and you repeated the previous photo when you meant to use the pic of Paul, Dana, and their baby.)

Love ya!

Thanks babykins, fixed.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #54
driftwood
...if anybody would...

Oddometer: 704
onwards!

From a certain point onwards, there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached
. -F.Kafka

Everyone looks retarded once you set your mind to it. -David Sedaris

If you don't do it today, do it tomorrow and if there's no tomorrow, it doesn't need to be done. -old pioneer dude in the Yukon

WVho7TIlk21bw = $5 off with new smugmug account
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #55
carcher2k
usually in a ditch...

Oddometer: 196
This is brilliant!!

Can't wait for the next installment.

Good luck guys

carcher2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #56
rizzlesticks
disenfranchised

Oddometer: 51
Awesome ride so far, definitely a fascinating read, and an inspiring trip!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #57
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 739
The Big Trip, Year 1

Excellent adventure and report! So cool you got so close to a bald eagle, great shot of it. I am from the Pacific Northwest and enjoyed your pics of the area. I miss Seattle, now living in Texas. Good luck with bikes, and getting any issues with them sorted out!

Ride on! Be safe!

Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #58
JackL OP
T plus 16 months

The rest of Alaska

The Harley shop had some neat sculpture.

We spent a couple nights there eating and drinking across the street at Gwennie's.

We then spent a few days with another ADV Rider, Paul & his girlfriend while we waited for new sprockets for Jess's
bike and more work on her bikes issue.

The have a pretty decent air museum out near the airport in Anchorage. They recovered an old PBY Catalina a few years back.

We even got some nightlife in. Wally, from the Harley shop showed us around one night & we went to world famous
Chillcoot Charley's another.

We finally got Jess's part & her bike freshly rubbered.

We headed south down the Kenai peninsula around Cook inlet & saw a pod of Beluga whales feeding.
Apparently this only happens 1 or 2 days each year when the salmon are running past this point.

Our first stop was Hope where we had dinner & then decided to camp and see a Greengrass band.

Downtown Hope

Next we continued all the way down the peninsula

To Homer where we camped on the Spit.

On our return to Anchorage Jessica's bike died 3 more times in the rain. Something was still seriously wrong with it.
While having lunch back at Gwennie's we met Talking Jim & Alex who were on KLRs & also camped at House of Harley.
We discussed lots of possibilities & things we wanted to do on our trip. One goal was to come down the inside passage
but it was
ridiculously expensive to put the bikes on the ferry. They charge you the same as a car for each bike. Talking
Jim told us about a barge from Anchorage to Seattle so we looked into that & it was only $200/bike so we decided on that.
My bike had also developed to leaking fork seals and a pretty bad radiator leak.
Into the crate go the bikes.

We then spent a couple nights celebrating Jessica's birthday. We all went out to Sushi.

Our new friend Wally drove us down to Whittier to catch the ferry. Thanks Wally!

The ferry didn't leave until after 5 PM the next day so we set up our small tent.

We did some exploring of an abandoned building as well.

We boarded the ferry & retired to our massive stateroom.

At least it had a porthole.

We then had a 2 day trip to Juneau.

We had a couple hour stop in

They had a number of different way of offloading vehicles which we found interesting.

We had a drink.

Walked to a local surf shop, and cleaned up some garbage. Then back on the boat for the trip to
Auck Bay near Juneau.

Upon arrival it seemed like a nice place.

We found a campsite at the end of a chained off road. The owner came to chase us off but after talking to us &
telling us not to leave any trash he let us stay there for 3 nights. Our view.

I headed into Juneau one afternoon.

Met this guy, Guy, at an Irish bar.

Jess & I also took a hike out to Mendenhall Glacier.

On the way back to Auch Bay we heard the story of Romeo, a local wolf who was very friendly to the locals & their dogs,
who had been killed by poachers. His complete story is here:
http://www.adn.com/2010/11/19/156269...omeo-plan.html
The guys that killed him, who were from the east coast, are doing some jail time now. If you Google him you'll get
40,400 results for

Romeo.

We did spend a lot of time at the local coffee shop & bar and just relaxed a bit.
They've stuffed Bullwinkle.

We did leave a little something behind for our camp host.

Next it was off to Sitka. We didn't have a room for the rest of the trip so had to camp out under the back deck.

The accomodations were pretty nice though.

We only had a few hours to wander round Sitka.

Then back on the boat & down the Inside Passage. Oddly I didn't get many pictures of this part but it was gorgeous. We saw black porpoises, possibly orcas, and a pod of humpback whales who seemed to be putting on a show for the boat.

Next stop was Ketchikan where I'd been before.

I didn't know Native Americans were so Goth

We visited Creek Street which was the old red light district.

Here's our gang on the boat as we arrive in Bellingham, WA USA

From there we caught a lift back to Seattle and arrived on Sep. 3, 65 days after we left.

Don't worry, the story doesn't end here. We've made a couple trips to OR with stops at places like
Hell's Canyon, the Painted Hills, and Smith Rock. We spent my birthday in Portland & Jess has ridden
down to Sebastopol, CA where she is taking care of her grandmother. I fly out to there on Tues for the
Holidays so the details and pictures of all that will have to wait until the new year.

JackL screwed with this post 12-18-2010 at 02:41 PM
Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #59
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Hey, Jack, what´s up with the pics? Bandwith exceeded?

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #60
Carlo Muro
Supercŕzzola

Oddometer: 1,989
^^ What he said. THere's only one working on the whole thread and it was pretty awesome so I sure hope the rest get fixed.

I think that very last installment must have put him over the free Photobucket limit