User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
raider OP
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
BMW Vario racks request

Does anyone with the OEM BMW panniers on an 800 have a photo of their bike with the frames fitted, but not the panniers? I'm particularly interested in the exhaust side. I'm trying to assess whether these would work with soft panniers as well as the Vario.

I've Googled this to no avail, but please feel free to slap me if these pics are available elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
I don't think the lower rail will hold a soft bag off the muffler. It's a bit inboard of it, and parallel to the muffler, but the upper rail is not; it angles back. If that's what you're wondering. It'd be hard to show in a photo, but if you picture a vertical line from the outer edge of the lower rail to the ground, it'd pass through the muffler. The Vario cases have a cut-out for that.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997

No protection for a soft bag with the Vario case mounts.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,893
These might work. Not sure.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
You will need a heat shield cover for the exhaust. The reason I went with the Vario set up is the bike looks great without the bags on it since the frame tucks in close to the body work and don't look like you are dragging the Eiffel tower behind your bike when the panniers are off. PM me with your email address if you want any end view pics that show the muffler sticks out more than the pannier frame on the left side.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
raider OP
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Thanks all for the replies; pics show what I expected to see :(

Indy, thanks for the offer. I currently have a set of Hepco & Becker Juniors that I transferred from the Strom (for street touring), and some Steel Pony Gascoyne canvas soft bags (for dirt touring).

I had planned to wrap these over the Hepco & Becker quick-lock side frames, but these don't fit with the Akrapovic pipe. So I have a choice of either selling the Hepco panniers with my Strom and seeking a new rack system that will work with both soft and hard bags, or, trying to make the Hepco racks work.

Making the Hepcos work involves taking to one of the support struts on the exhaust side with the angle grinder, which would reduce the strength of the racks but mean they're still perfectly OK for soft bags but probably not up to the job of supporting hard cases anymore.

I think the BMW setup looks very, very nice - probably best option for hard bags - but it's no good for soft, and I'm too crap a rider on dirt to assume I won't fall over and smash hard cases!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I'm using the bottom Vario mount specifically because it gives me good tiedown points for my giant loop great basin bag.

Oh, I see what you're going for - I have a twalcom exhaust - it's located WAY inboard. But even with a Remus hexcan I didn't have a problem with the giant loop bad touching the exhaust. Close, but not touching.

G'luck.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote