Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,748
Bill Congers will be (more than likely) your instructor.
Dude knows WTF he is talkin' about. You listen and pay attention and you will learn.

Tell Him Thumper says ""
Old 06-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #17
spacefighter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
class

This board is full of reviews on the training there - just do some searching. You can read one of mine here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479389

just a heads up the if you are not in amazing shape - you will be dog tired after the second day, which might affect your post class riding plans. In fact, i have heard a lot of guys have a hard time finishing day 2 due to lack of fitness. you are going to be standing on your pegs the whole time so make sure you wear a good boot with steel under the sole.

For the dude wanting to ride the dragon ... its closed.

There a thread at G-Spot going on you may want to check out also.
spacefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #18
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
I would not say that I am in great shape, but I am in good shape. Bicycle regularly, and a weights routine. I do plan on having my ass kicked for two days at the school. Already have been doing some light off road riding and staying on the pegs just to help prepare.

As far as the Dragon goes, it has been open from the NC side for a month or so. You can enter at Deals Gap and get to the overlook but not really anything further. See the website for updates http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

My ride plan has the play day on Sunday with taking the majority of the ride back on Monday, so hopefully I will be ok........if not, bang out an extra day of vacation!! My boss is an ADV kinda dude also, he got me into this in the first place, so I think he will understand!!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
"Bill Congers will be (more than likely) your instructor.
Dude knows WTF he is talkin' about. You listen and pay attention and you will learn"

+1 - Ray and the other guys are good too but Bill can add being the winner of this years SandBlast rallye in SC and he beat Jonah Street too...all in good fun at the SB but winning is winning.

I can check (don't remember name or rates) but there's a Motel 6, 8 whatever # they use... I think, I stayed at about a mile down the road and it has a waffle house right there too. Don't worry about lunch as they provide a good one and alot of liquids at breaks. A subway and decent mexiacan is further down past the waffle house or go into Greenville for dinner

I'll see if I can find out the info on the place if you want.

I did the 2 day off-road on a 12GSA since that's what I have and made it...If anything, Relax, head UP looking fwd, listen the Bill, Ray and the others and have fun!
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,645
This post is not so much a review, but my perspective on the upcoming ride to the event, the class and ride home.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

The closest lodging is a Super 8. The one I stayed at 864-848-1626. Not the Marriot but decent and cheaper too.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #22
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Thanks I was looking there last night, probably stay there.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
Thanks I was looking there last night, probably stay there.
Another FYI - There's an Exxon or Shell station right there at the entrance to the place with the Waffle house on the other side of the road. When you go out to the end of the drive, turn right to go to the Performance center and left to go to Subway & Mexican restaurant.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Thanks again for the local info. made reservations for the Super 8, gong to hit the Zentrum Museum too. Decided against camping during the class as I'm sure the AC room will be much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I'm probably going overkill, for a long weekend trip, but I've been getting things together for the trip to Greer, SC. I haven't decided if I'll return home on Sunday or Monday at this time.

I'm using this trip as a trial run for more adventure touring, i.e. off road adventures.

What's going with me in terms of gear- updates and additions as time gets closer to departure-

-Zumo 550 plus detailed paper maps of SC, TN.
- expanded tool kit, misc wrenches, pliers, wire, test light, meter, patch kit( three levers one large), stock hand pump, 12vlt air compressor, rotor removal tool. electrical tape, two blocks (pulleys), 50ft of line (yalelight), wiring diagram, BMW specs, torque, fluid capacities and such
-clutch/throttle cables, ignition module, diaphram, spark plugs, two tubes, a few spokes and nipples, misc bulbs, motor oil.
-Cannon camera, Acer Netbook, 12vlt inverter, cell phone, adapter cables for charging electronics, flashlight.
-2 pairs pants (zip off quick drying type), three shirts (?), 3 pairs underwear, 3 prs socks. sandals,
-tent, sleeping bag, thermarest, small pillow.
-sundry kit, bug spray, sun block, aspirin, small 1st aid kit, glasses, contacts (cleaner and stuff), t-paper, electric razor,
-ridding gear, helmet, ridding pants, jacket, gloves, boots, sunglasses. rain gear as current ridding gear isn't waterproof.
-cooking gear, not this trip.,but some munchies
-camel back, w/ lots of ice!!!!!
-cash, credit cards, insurance info, drivers license.
-important BMW related phone #'S
-MOA Anonymous Book

Looking forward to the trip and school, but it's gonna be hot.

Also getting some bicycling time(long time rider)and some running (not much as I have an injury which is in rehab)to get used to the heat, just not as much time on this as I'd like.

Recent Bike prep, rebuilt brake hydraulics (MC was spongy), new pads, Fresh Heidenau Tires, of course close inpsection as far as being in tune, I do regular maintenece obsessively so no much to catch up on.
Recently checked preload and sag settings fully loaded as I've had issues with incorrect preload settings.
Stiffer Race tech fork springs, 10 w oil.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 10:01 PM
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #26
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

so I got smart and changed my resevervation over to the Super 8!!! Cut the cost in half!!! See ya week from Thursday!! And yes, I think you might have packed overkill for a long weekend, but I know who to call when I find that I underpacked!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

FLA- I'm hoping to get there at about 3:00, really want to check out the museum. Hope I've got time, should take me about 6 hours ridding time. One tank of gas will get me there.

I knew the rooms the performance center recommended would be high, I just can't give that much for a place to put my head for a few hours.

Looks like the temps are going to be in the mid 90's. I've been getting some time on the bike i.e. bicycle after work, and some light running (never was much for that though).

I'll keep an eye out for your bike- I'll be on a 1984 G/S good looking bike w/ one ass ugly whitish HPN tank.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

One Less..........
Mine is a 07' Gold and Silver GSA with full set of Jesse Odyssey cases. and of course FLA plates!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Had a petcock problem, from an earlier repair. Long story, had hoped the machinist would have had my part made by now, but he didn't. Had a universal one from the damned KTM 300 EXC (rest in hell you eff'n bike), which is now on the tank. It dribbled a bit, but I had an o-ring that took care of it so far.

Packed up, HPN tank full of gas, should make it in one tank. No rush leaving, taking 231 to lebenon, then 40 to 321, then 327 into the Smokies to 421. Looks like some great ridding. Reports and picts coming soon!!

As I plan on camping Sat/Sun it's nice not have to bring the sleeping bag, just a sheet and thermarest.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-23-2010 at 07:37 PM
Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #30
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I left home about 8:00, had hoped to get the Greer SC, Super Eight earlier than I did, but trafiic through the smokies was slow. Enjoyed the scenery, took a few photo's and found a couple of petcocks, which I thought was the deal, but when I went to put them on....THEY ALSO PIONTED IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS when off/on and Res. Damn this doesn't have to be a life long quest.

Flarider- saw my disgust w/ the things, but he thought it was no big deal. Oh well, I'll live with it for now. More important things to worry about, like sleep for a long hot day tomorrow standing on the pegs and getting tossed off the R12 many times.