User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Twawsi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
GE thru CH to IT first ride on our GSAs

Had some work to do in Germany so while I was there, I picked up my 2010 GSA from Mannheim, and a buddy picked his up from Heidelberg. We linked up at the Karlsruhe Polo outlet and he bought some gear. We took off from there. We were following my wife in son in her car because hey, we had to get there somehow right, lol. Anyways, our trip was to take 3:45 minutes………..this is very reminiscent of Gillian’s Island “a three hour tour……..the weather started getting rough..” you know the rest. Germany was slow because of all of the construction on the 5 and the rain didn’t help. We hit the GE CH border and that’s when the heavens opened up. It rained so hard that when it got dark, all I could see was the taillights on my wife car….I just aimed for the middle, checked the rear view to make sure my buddy was still with us and kept on a riding. We finally hit Andermatt around 2240 hrs. The owner was waiting for us, had the motorcycle garage open and we went on in. Registered and got dry, then had a beer and laughed about “what an initial “ADVENTURE” ride” that was. Up the next day for breakfast and to celebrate the wife’s B-day (yes, she’s very forgiving of my motorcycle addiction). We had a short walk around Andermatt in the rain, she took some photos and then we were again off towards Italy/home.
No relief from the rain but at least we got to see Switzerland a little more. From what we saw, all I can say is “breathtaking”. We stopped at Oberalpass for our first Pass stickers (even tho we went through some passes the night before, we couldn’t see anything but the road and wanted to get dry) and then kept on truckin. We headed south and stopped at the Lucmagn Pass for lunch (the food was incredible!) and our second set of stickers. Yes, Cheesy I know but it was a moral imperative. From there we headed south further to Lago Maggiore where we parted way with our friend, he headed back to Veneto. We spent the night on the lake. The hotel was nice, the view was pretty awesome and the dinner atmosphere was pretty awesome too. Notice that I left the cuisine review out of my comments? Lol.
We just made it back to Veneto and even tho the winds remind me of early fall, I’d still take the cool rain in CH any day over the hot Veneto Basin. We went from 50 Degees F to 89 in 3 hours yesterday and today was 71 when we started and 93 when we got home an hour ago.
Post ride notes to point out…..rain suits are your friend, GSAs are awesome, Riding with friends and family (even if they were in a car) even better and Andermatt is a place to go back to visit, senza pioggia.

Post Pics later, time to celebrate!

Twawsi screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 09:40 PM
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Twawsi OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

Hotel Birgdyll in Andermatt
Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
Twawsi OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Twawsi OP
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Strangest things, seen in the odd places. But very nice
Old 07-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
Twawsi OP
Adventurer

I also forgot to add that on the final leg home, after leaving Laveno-Mombello, I saw a fellow ADV RIDER as I was riding by. I don't remember the type of SUV but it was dark in color and had Large ADV stickers on both side windows. This was near or in the town of Fracce. Couldn't stop unfortunately but still very cool
Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
desmo916sp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
TWAWSI ... nice pics..

TWAWSI ,,, great to see your pics on here ... i will forward you the pics from DC .. Matt
desmo916sp is offline   Reply With Quote