User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #151
Poisonslinger
Wyoming

Oddometer: 7
Diesel, sure enjoyed your visit to Cody -
Always good to burn “charcoal” and “sling lead poison” with friends.

Guys – Diesel is right; dieseldaughter is a good shot!
And big time brave! I’ve had many grown men turn down the chance to shoot that “Big Fifty” Sharps. It’s a 50-90 Sharps 450 gr lead poison-pill over full 90 gr of old style black. But she didn’t hesitate and dropped the hammer on one! The gun is a light 9 pounds and kills on both ends (or at least can draw blood!).

Girls that shoot rock!

Travel safe but don’t miss too many Tuesday night beers…. our Country needs saved and we need find the answers one beer at a time!

See you guys on the flop.

PS
Poisonslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #152
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonslinger
Diesel, sure enjoyed your visit to Cody -
Always good to burn “charcoal” and “sling lead poison” with friends.

Guys – Diesel is right; dieseldaughter is a good shot!
And big time brave! I’ve had many grown men turn down the chance to shoot that “Big Fifty” Sharps. It’s a 50-90 Sharps 450 gr lead poison-pill over full 90 gr of old style black. But she didn’t hesitate and dropped the hammer on one! The gun is a light 9 pounds and kills on both ends (or at least can draw blood!).

Girls that shoot rock!

Travel safe but don’t miss too many Tuesday night beers…. our Country needs saved and we need find the answers one beer at a time!

See you guys on the flop.

PS

She is a brave one. . Thanks for the opportunity to give blood. I can vouch for the "kills at both ends" part.

"…. our Country needs saved and we need find the answers one beer at a time!"

Now that's quotable.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #153
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Cool2

So the weak part of this mission is our Canada plan. We have no idea where we are stopping. I suppose "weak" is a poor descriptor. I actually enjoy having planned to not plan a stop.

But we found the Daisy May Campground (somewhere Alberta- look on Spot before the tracks get overwritten) and pitch a tarp.

Not being fools, we also research potential camp sites enrouteto Alaska. Besides, the camp office is warm and we stay until twilight (2230hrs) before heading back to bunk.

...The night is calm and cool and completely restful!

Breakfast is served!

Fill the camelback and we're off. (Make good choices )

Ah, brisk morning! Let's go north!

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:31 AM
Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #154
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

So Alberta is flat....ya eh....flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

So let's go play in Calgary traffic and spice it up.

We have stopped at Blackthorn Motorrad to pick up some cleaner for the faceshields. (Here's my best Bill Paxton. Bugs! Bugs everywhere!)

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:32 AM
Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #155
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Thumb

Ever meet someone with so much positive energy you wish you could bottle it for sale?

Meet Juan "Amigo" Lopez. He came barrelling over to us in the parking lot. At first I thought it was because I had my side pannel off and was reseating a radiator hose. (One of the "personality" traits of the F8GS.) As it turns out, he could tell were far-riding and was excited to talk shop.

Great guy and another kindred spirit. He's from Chile and regaled us with tales and tips of the South American road for a half an hour. It made our over-long stop worth the detour.

Muchas gracias, mi amigo!

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:33 AM
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #156
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Whitecourt

I am not a farmer. Southern Alberta appears to be a farming paradice. Nice, lush, flat as apancake...not my cup of tea. Somewhere between Calgary and Edmonton I began to fill comfortable with my surroundings again... While running a 50CC on my Moto Guzzi in 1999, I discovered that my definition of geographic beauty is tied to the presence of trees. I hit Arizona as the sun came up after flying blind through west texas all night. I did not consider it beautiful. Don't mistake me, there is amazing beauty there but it was not holistic for me. After a making it to the west coast and much self analysis, I determined it was the absense of trees more than anything else that affected me. Flash forward 11 years and I find the same issue in Canada.

But as we closed on Whitecourt, my sprits rose high as the terrain changed and some ingrained part of me found solice in the forested hills.

We stopped for the night vicinity Whitecourt, Alberta. (Lots of trees :)). At the gas stop in to
wn we ran into fellow inmate Kris_Nickles on his D-R-Zed 400. Out London, Ontario, his traveling solo to Invurnuk. Great adventure! He was boogeying further this night trying to run the light out. As I type it's twilight and 2300 hrs. We pulled onto the road together and as he pulled ahead it looked to us as if he had no taillights so we caught up and had a quick roadside chat. His LED lights were not powerful enough to illuminate through the setting light but they worked. Godspeed!

So now the tarp is out and we have a fire smouldering....another day done.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:35 AM
Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #157
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

4 July

Happy Indpendence Day!

As many Soldiers do, Oduibhir and I carried a copy of our constitution on our deployments. During this invasion of Canada , we continue the custom and in comemmoration of the fortitude of our forefathers we read the Preamble and render respects to the nation's colors.

God Bless America!

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:38 AM
Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #158
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Alask highway

We hit Mile Zero in Dawson Creek at precisely the same time we hit rain.

The road is full of campers as they return from their Canada Day sojourns. Odd fact of the human condition, we go somewhwere else to vacation even though we live in a perfectly good vacation spot. In this case the Canadians are leaving one bit of wilderness for another, or so it seems to our uninitiated eyes.

The rain is constant and varying light to moderatre. More problematic is the 40 degree temps which are causing hands to cramp and faceshields to fog. We are in the wilderness. Gas stops look like abandoned gang bars. Water, mud, and pot-hole gravel is the name of the game. Everyone minds their own business, but when engaged, are friendly and willing to answer questions. To wit the rain has been a constant for the last 5 days. It may break tomorrow but it extends the 300 miles to our destination. If it ain't rainin'....Big Dave pipes in that there was snow in Whitehorse 3 days ago. Excellent!

Big Dave is, well, big. Weighing in at 280ish? and around 6 foot he looks like Santa's crazy, blackseep, younger brother. He is riding a black boss hoss and passes us like a militant postal delivery guy, throwing up spray and roaring away at at least 95MPH....on Doenner!...on Blitzen!.... He was aiming for Pink Mountain or Fort Nelson this night. We catch him at the former, parked at the pumps about 40 miles down the road. Gas station to gas station, Dave? More likely calling it quits and gassing up for the morn. We wave and ride by.

Oduibhir and I are feeling good, wet and cold, but good. Big Dave has raised my crazy fun bar and I'm laughing in my helmet as I whip the ponies and zoom along turns, dips, and pot holes. We've rolled up to extra-legal speed but not quite to straight-to-jail speed passing campers (all two of them....it's a stau) and being hyper vigilant for wildlife. Apparently the critters are either bunked and cozy or they are settled in the bush watching us like a some new reality show....Alaska Highway Bikers....but we see nothing but and occasional bird.

The sign says 222km to Fort Nelson. It's 2030hrs, we've got enough light but it will be close on gas. Decision is easy when the next sign says gas 5km. Suddenly the road dives and makes the tightest turn yet at 50kph. Then we are parallel to a huge gorge and across the bridge. There's our gas! Siskanni Chief is the place. We've also hit dry(er) spot and having "camped" cold and wet for Uncle Sam, both Oduibhir and I recognize and opportunity when we see it. We sieze the last cabin and the night has become heaven.

Prepared for cold wet mud, our fortunes are exponentially increased with heat, shelter, running water and porcelain. We're estatic! The proprieters look at us with obvious amusment. (Partially because I'm whooping with glee at Oduibhir about the great run we just did as we are stopped at the pumps.) Apologetic in the fact that we have to use our own bedding they want to know if we want to see the room first. No thankyou, Sir. Space in a manger would be divine at this point.

Until tomorrow then...

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:41 AM
Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #159
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy
IGNITION and LAUNCH!!! ...

it begins...
You don't seem to pack as much as 3 years ago

Cool ride - subscribed!

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #160
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Toad River Lodge

We made great time into Fort Nelson. Ran into Some bikes that we had crossed paths with back in Montana. Kind of interesting.

We waited for the local library to open so I could upload our tales.

Beautiful ride out of Nelson.

Until Russ got a bungie cord up his rear....causing a flat...

Gas stops.

Oduibhir, "Hey your tire looks low"....22lbs Yikes!

Over pressure and wait. 54lbs...tick-tock....10 minutes...51.5lbs!

Sometimes wisdom is accepting the truth. Denial would have been bad.

1 hr 48 minutes later the tire is tubed and mounted.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:50 AM
Old 07-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #161
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Meet Carter. Broke a windshield and had a flat. Turns out he just won the Yukon River Race. 42 Hours Dawson to Whitehorse. (And then spent the winnings on car repair.)

Well done!

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 05:51 AM
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #162
Dieselboy OP
Journey not Destination

Miss, are we in the middle of nowhere or just to one side of it?

BC

Yukon

Nap? We're only 2 hours hard ridin' from Alaska.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 06:05 AM
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #163
thuleshark
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I see that you're 100 miles out from DJ. Check your voicemail. Standing by with the prepositioned logistics package. Be mindful of the road conditions. They're repaving the junction starting at about mile 1421. Meet you at the rally point.
thuleshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #164
CPTBLY
Enjoying the Ride!

Oddometer: 203
See you crossed back into the good ole US of A. Any problems at the border?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #165
MWAtl
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You are almost in Fairbanks. And I almost went to U of Alaska - Fairbanks. Had the application all filled out and everything. Considering I don't like cold, I think it was a moment of insanity. But....it would have been fun!!!

Incredible pictures....awesome ride!
MWAtl is offline   Reply With Quote