User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
greybeard146 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Question Ski Goggles vs. MX Goggles?

Is there an actual difference between the two types of goggle, and can the ski goggles be used safely for DS riding, i.e., with an MX-type lid?

Thanks for the positive input!

Topbox Tours

CB750 F2w / R1100RT / F650 / DL1000 / Bandit 600 / CB200
greybeard146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,998
The biggest difference is usually the ski goggles are better ventilated to prevent fogging in cold temps. I was told by an Oakley rep that the difference between the ski and MX version of their Crowbar goggles, were the lenses. The Crowbar snow has holes in the lens, backed with foam, to allow more air and prevent fogging. They usually have tinted or polarized lenses as well, for the glare of snow. Otherwise, there cant be enough difference to NOT wear them on a bike. Even though the frames look taller, I was told it's the lenses, and they can be swapped out between snow and mx models. Take that with a grain of salt, as I was told this, but have no tried it.

Example:

snow

mx

Old 06-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Another thing, the MX have tabs for tearaways; I don't think the ski goggles do.
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,166
My oakley snow goggles have a different angle of attachment on the strap vs the MX oakley goggles, so do my smiths and scotts. The MX goggles attach the strap so they come off the goggle wider (almost parallel to the lense) to better fit over a MX helmet.

The snow google straps come out the back of the frame farther to fit on a bare head or on slim fitting snow helmets. Thats the only different I have noticed. My oakley snow goggles do not fit well in my MX helmet.

FWIW you can buy enduro MX goggles that have a vented dual pane lense that will not fog, exactly like snow goggles. I love my oakley enduro MX goggles. Smith, Scott, Oakley, thor, etc.. all sell enduro lenses for their MX goggles. Vented Dual pane lenses are the only way to go when offroad. MX goggles also have tear off posts and most have more silicon on the inside of the straps to eliminate movement on the helmet.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,142
Do the ski goggles have the same ability to stop rocks?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
greybeard146 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
Do the ski goggles have the same ability to stop rocks?
I don't think either ski or mx goggles do well in that department.

Anyway, thanks y'all for the positive input.

Topbox Tours

CB750 F2w / R1100RT / F650 / DL1000 / Bandit 600 / CB200
greybeard146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV
FWIW you can buy enduro MX goggles that have a vented dual pane lense that will not fog, exactly like snow goggles. I love my oakley enduro MX goggles. Smith, Scott, Oakley, thor, etc.. all sell enduro lenses for their MX goggles. Vented Dual pane lenses are the only way to go when offroad. MX goggles also have tear off posts and most have more silicon on the inside of the straps to eliminate movement on the helmet.
+1. I don't wear glasses offroading (I put contacts in instead), but I intentionally bought the oakley MX goggles designed for use with glasses because of the better ventilation. To date I can't find any way they are inferior (IE nothing has been sacrificed by making them so well vented) compared to normal goggles. Given they don't mist up, even when you're sweating buckets and it's lashing down with rain, I don't think I'll buy "normal" goggles again.