Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
"Quickie" KTM bar riser extensions

Hi ya' inmates,

Got my risers finished tonight. I had some aluminum, old style Harley Screamin' Eagle, Evo air cleaner backing plate spacers laying around in the misc. semi-useless shit box.
They are 33mm long (about 1 9/32") and all I had to do was core them out to a 10mm ID from 5/16".
Got some 10x100 stainless allen head bolts (enough to offset the additional length) and stainless low-profile nyloc nuts to go with them.
I had access to a lathe, so cutting the heads down to match the OEM short head bolts was no big deal. I suppose if I didn't have a lathe, a grinder, belt sander or saw would have worked as well... just slower and not as sano.

Had to reroute the decompressor cable to the front and between the risers... a bit too short for the original position. The throttle cables were fine and all other cables and wiring were fine as is.
Standing up on the pegs, my back is straight with just the slightest bend in my knees.
I'll be on the lookout for a firmer bushing (polyethalene?) to replace the stock rubber ones. With this much leverage, I think they will get worn out faster than normal.

Major bonus!!! I get to put back one inch per side of steering lock that I had to take out for the roadbook holder.

That's it.
Creep
Old 11-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
I must start thinking about raising my bars, I will probably use the Touratech risers and see how I get on from there. I noticed that the decompressor cable looked like it may need attention, are any of the others tight?
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:44 AM   #3
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,226
Funny you should post this. My new-to-me 640 is apart. I went to install Pro Taper risers and 1) the bolts were to big for the OEM holes in the rubber and 2) they ain't tall enough.

I'll be visiting a fab shop by my house tonight to get them to knock me out a pair of dem. OR, I'll see if Home Depott has some aloominum stock. I got a drill press.

Course if you wanna' knock out 2 more I'll pay ya to overnight them.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:21 AM   #4
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Hey Creeper, Looks like the ones I made but taller. Mine are only .750 and that was a strech on the throttle cables. . I also tappered mine to match the Diameter of the washer crown for a larger footprint. made sence at the time.
What grade bolts did you use? I went for standard grade and stayed away from grade 8's . with the extended leverage I would rather bend a bolt than break one and I've seen grade 8's break where a low grade would just bend. At least you get home with a bent bolt.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Beautiful creeper but one side question: you got your forks choked up pretty good there. Why?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,320
mine are like that too cuz i lowered the rear and if i didn't, it'd ride like something made by jesse james.

running the stock rear height and raising the forks will decrease rake and quicken steering. i had to do that on my KLR, it rode like a damn chopper.
matey peeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
creeper OP
Still alive...

Howdy y'all,

Bucky, I believe the Touratechs are 24mm. would make quite a difference. I don't imagine you'll encounter any cable problems.
I went as long as I did just for the hell of it. I can always shorten them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Course if you wanna' knock out 2 more I'll pay ya to overnight them.

It took me a week to get the bolts... had to special order them. Finding a 10X100 allen at the local harware store... or any hardware store for that matter... good luck.

Hey Dag... they are grade 5 stainless. I like bending vs. breaking myself. My throttle cables are long enough, even the decompressor cable was close in the standard routing, but routing it as shown eliminated a slight binding at full right lock.

Meat... It's not that much "choke" on the legs. I've (and Peeps apparently as well) found it corners a bit better on the loose dirt/gravel/rocks that make up most of Washington off-road.

Of to work... hi ho, hi ho....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Hey Creeper, I have my forks up about 5mm, you look to have about 15mm or so. Is this cause you lowered the rear too, or were you looking for more front end bite ? It must really be a handful in sand when you get off the gas!

One more thing... do you have the part number for your fork bleeders? I saw them for 48mm exc forks and wondered if it was the same part.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Meat... It's not that much "choke" on the legs. I've (and Peeps apparently as well) found it corners a bit better on the loose dirt/gravel/rocks that make up most of Washington off-road.

Of to work... hi ho, hi ho....
Mine is up just a hair to the second ring - it was supposed to help with the front end "flopping" into corners at slow speeds. I don't know if that is the correct terminology but on the tarmac at low speeds when I lean into a corner to turn the front wheel turns (or tries to) all by iteslf. Is this normal w/o a dampener or do I need to choke up more?

Old 11-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #10
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Hey Meat,

mine flopped as well when I had the Sahara's on it, with the front tire inadvertantly mounted backwards from the factory. I put new MT21's on it and it has NO tendancy to do that anymore.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:47 AM   #11
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,320
hey meat, that's called oversteer, and it could be tire related, pressure related or fork related. that's a symptom of a small amount of rake tho, and raising the forks would only increase this tendency. make sure your tires are properly inflated may be a cheap fix, sounds like front may be a bit soft.
matey peeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey peeps
hey meat, that's called oversteer, and it could be tire related, pressure related or fork related. that's a symptom of a small amount of rake tho, and raising the forks would only increase this tendency. make sure your tires are properly inflated may be a cheap fix, sounds like front may be a bit soft.
hmmm, stock 03 with 2500 miles on stock Saharas, tire pressure is at about 30psi for tarmac. maybe the forks are setup wrong?

Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #13
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
hmmm, stock 03 with 2500 miles on stock Saharas, tire pressure is at about 30psi for tarmac. maybe the forks are setup wrong?
What do you weigh? Short of running a stiffer spring in the fork, you can increse the compression damping and reduce the rebound. A common "bandaid" for a fork with insufficent spring rate.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
What do you weigh? Short of running a stiffer spring in the fork, you can increse the compression damping and reduce the rebound. A common "bandaid" for a fork with insufficent spring rate.
I oscillate around 200lbs. DOE

I would love to have the $1200 suspension work done but your bandaid might actually happen. Increase compression dampening and reduce rebound. check.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I oscillate around 200lbs. DOE

I would love to have the $1200 suspension work done but your bandaid might actually happen. Increase compression dampening and reduce rebound. check.
I weigh the same. I'll give you the numbers I settled on tonight.