Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
I hate to beat the horse, but at best fork gaters are a wash as far as protection goes, and more likely you'll be doing more harm than good in the long run with them on...
If you're going to make that statement, please provide supporting information.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
All I know is humans have been using fork seal gaiters on off road and mx bikes since the 70's. If they are so horrible, why do people continue to use them after all these years without problem?

My right fork seal on my F800GS failed recently (was leaking) and got replaced under warranty. This happened without the usage of fork seal gaiters. Since it happened without using fork seal gaiters, I'm now considering the use of them. I'll need to gather more info though, as well as the approval of my dealer's BMW tech.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,853

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
If you're going to make that statement, please provide supporting information.
See the other thread.

Cliff's notes: Short neoprene gaiters = more debris scraping on your fork tubes than nothing at all. Their implementation is exactly opposite of their intent. If you don't get a gaiter that covers the entire fork tube and is cinched on both ends, you're better off with nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
All I know is humans have been using fork seal gaiters on off road and mx bikes since the 70's. If they are so horrible, why do people continue to use them after all these years without problem?
In fact, the VAST majority of humans have *not* been using gaiters since the beginning of time, and that majority has only experienced fork seal issues on rare occasion...and usually due to neglect. If gaiters are such a good idea, why don't you see them on any showroom floor? How come you don't see all the old/core dogs out there with them?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
In fact, the VAST majority of humans have *not* been using gaiters since the beginning of time, and that majority has only experienced fork seal issues on rare occasion...and usually due to neglect. If gaiters are such a good idea, why don't you see them on any showroom floor? How come you don't see all the old/core dogs out there with them?
I never said "ALL" nor did I say "VAST". Just HUMANS....Humans that ride off road and mx bikes. I never said the beginning of time either!I said since the 70's. I've seen a lot of mx'ers and trail riders using them myself. They swear by 'em.

Your stating your opinion bxr. Remember that. Opinions are opinions, facts are facts. I'd like to know the facts so I can make a good judgment as to whether to use them or not. You're not helping with that.

All I know so far is this fact: they've been sold since the 70's and a lot of folks have used 'em since. They still sell 'em. People still buy 'em. Anyone out there actually used fork seal gaiters for a while? Good? Bad?

I can see how they'd potentially score the slider a bit more. However, a scored slider is a lot better than a leaking seal. Maybe the gaiters keep the larger damaging crud out from under the seal, even though finer particulates get under the gaiter.

PS the reason you don't see them on bikes on the showroom floor is the same reason the F800GS doesn't come with a mudsling.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #21
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
See the other thread.

Cliff's notes: Short neoprene gaiters = more debris scraping on your fork tubes than nothing at all. Their implementation is exactly opposite of their intent. If you don't get a gaiter that covers the entire fork tube and is cinched on both ends, you're better off with nothing at all
So noeprene now damages metal?
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
So noeprene now damages metal?
nope, the grit that gets up under it does the damage, as well as the moisture the gater holds in.

Check them out on the inside after a good muddy ride.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I can see how they'd potentially score the slider a bit more. However, a scored slider is a lot better than a leaking seal.
So, you realize a scored slider (which is permanent--and expensive--damage) creates a leaking seal, right? ...and it can accelerate wear/damage to the bushings. A leaking seal from a piece of lodged debris on the other hand (which is by far the overwhelming cause of leaking seals) is something that usually gets noticed and rectified immediately...for $0 and no permanent damage.

Look, the only reason I posted is because some folks will assume the mere existence of this thread (and the opinions therein) is proof that [short] neoprene gaiters provide *more* protection than nothing at all. They do not. VERY few people use them, even fewer from the experienced crowd, and nobody uses them for extreme race situations, like MX and Dakar.

Carry on with whatever bike purchase you wish to make. Its your bike, and your money.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #24
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
Fill a condom up w/ a bunch or grit and "go for a ride". You will see how your forks feel w/ a neoprene fork protector.
The full length protectors will guard against nicks.
As mentioned, there are other things to consider when using these in wet environments.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #25
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,709
I guess I have never thought about it. I have never used them because I think they look stupid...
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I'm not saying I'm going to use the things. Quite the contrary. I've seen more evidence that they do harm than good. I've just wondered why they still sell 'em I guess.

I've decided I'm going to not use them and just keep the sliders and seals cleans after rides.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
BMW_BIKER_KEITH OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Hmmm....

Should i wear a condom or not....?
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Hmmm....

Should i wear a condom or not....?
Keep it clean, brother.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Fill a condom up w/ a bunch or grit and "go for a ride". You will see how your forks feel w/ a neoprene fork protector.
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #30
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
I hate to beat the horse, but at best fork gaters are a wash as far as protection goes, and more likely you'll be doing more harm than good in the long run with them on...
Yep.

Dirt, mixed with oil, held securely in place by a velcro neoprene sleeve.

Re-chrome here we come.

You are better off popping the dust wiper seal out after every big dirt ride and thoroughly washing it all out. I've tried lots of ways to make the seals last longer, none of them work definitively. If I get 20,000kms of pure dirt riding out of them I'm doing ok I figure.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote