Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #31
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 816
Hey Swampy these guys need to come out and ride with the Dixie Dual Sport crowd don't they....
At least check out the Epic ride reports at http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/

Bert

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #32
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

And I still don't see any of the world famous "Cracker Ride" pictures you promised posted??
Bert

Quote:
Hey Swampy these guys need to come out and ride with the Dixie Dual Sport crowd don't they....
At least check out the Epic ride reports at
http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/

Bert

Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #33
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
New Years SpaceCoast Ride 2008

Geez Bert, let's relive THIS ride!

Bert still has his KLR, mine's loooooong gone...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Every ride has a list of must-be's:

1. You must get lost
2. There must be a roadside repair
3. You must see some cool stuff
4. There must be some scenic stuff
5. There must be a challenge (sand)
6. There must be cool roads
7. There must be some one running outa gas
8. There must be...well...you get the picture...

So we'll begin....with getting lost...

I pick up Bert at Casa d'Bert and we head towards the SpaceCoast... all goes well until Mission Control feeds the wrong coordinates into the guidance computer... and we roll into the clubhouse a few minutes past 0900...with the flight crew ready for departure...

Flight Commander Stubbjr (Rick) leads us through the surrounding area on some neat twisties past the airport...and then....

Manimal gets a flat.

Just past this point there is a air museum where they rebuild old jets...didn't get a picture but there was an old F-4 Phantom and a French Mirage fighter.... but anyway we move on....

...so we wander down the old railroad bed...

...and okay...so this spaceship comes down and lands in front of us...and these aliens get out and they take us up to the mother ship and they...

Cool bike...cooler transportation...

So here's Bert cruising down the river road...

We wander out and across the river to where there are cool dirt roads going throughout the area...

Here's a shot of Bert that's for the birds....

Shot of the 11 mile dirt road...

Pretty pink spoonbills....this area was loaded with them...

Quick break along the way...with an interesting smell rising out of the federal port-o-lets....

...Dang...how'd that picture get in here!

We stumbled upon wildlife...well, the birds of course, but you saw Berts pigs in the first post, along with the egale, and we had 3 gators, two babies ( about 4 ft each) and then this 8 footer just lounging away...

Rick then swung us out to the manatee overlook...

...and he showed you the manatee picture in the first post...all we saw were bubbles and tails coming out of the water...

..here's another view of the manatee area...

so we had some cool paved roads...kinda like this...poor shot but you get the jist...

Then there was the 4 miles of whoops and sugar sand...in the middle of nowhere...

We stopped for gas in Osteen and proceeded back towards Titusville, stopping in Christmas, FL (Hey, it's the holidays!) and visiting the Fort Christmas park where there are old historical buildings and parks stuff...

...and our safe arrival at Fort Christmas....

From here it was a shot back to Titusville down Hwy 50.... until...

The most greatest of greatest roadside attractions....

hey....

Overall it was great day, did some nice riding where I'd never ridden before, saw some cool stuff I'd never seen before and had some New Year's black eyed peas with cornbread back at the clubhouse!

Special thanks go out to Stubbjr (Rick Stubblefield) for inviting me and Bert to go riding with them on their annual New Years Day club ride...

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #34
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

You forgot #9...Someone has to get sick and throw up on the way home.

Quote:
Every ride has a list of must-be's:

1. You must get lost
2. There must be a roadside repair
3. You must see some cool stuff
4. There must be some scenic stuff
5. There must be a challenge (sand)
6. There must be cool roads
7. There must be some one running outa gas
8. There must be...well...you get the picture...

Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #35
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Very cool thread - bringing back some memories! I lived in St. Pete for 5-6 years and just moved to TX last summer. I also am bothered when people bash the riding in Florida - they just don't know where to look!

Hope you don't mind me posting some pics and a vid. I never had a dual sport living in FL, but we used to do plenty of exploring in our land rover:

beautiful areas:

Don't guess at "puddle" depths out there:

The paved road riding aint so bad either:

Man I miss that place...
Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
advcracker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Florida Rocks!

Here's to you Swampman!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #37
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

We also have places where you can pull off the trail and cool off down here in Florida.

EbarDP48 > Daytona Adventure ride 2006 photo

And friends that will lend a hand

Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #38
j0ney3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo
Very cool thread - bringing back some memories! I lived in St. Pete for 5-6 years and just moved to TX last summer. I also am bothered when people bash the riding in Florida - they just don't know where to look!

Hope you don't mind me posting some pics and a vid. I never had a dual sport living in FL, but we used to do plenty of exploring in our land rover:

beautiful areas:

Don't guess at "puddle" depths out there:

The paved road riding aint so bad either:

Man I miss that place...
That looks familiar Don't you remember the rules of the swamp?! If it's grey...STAY AWAY!!! I spent about 5 hours stuck out in that area during an enduro, I ended up walking a few miles out, then hitching back to the start, it took 2 quads and 5 guys to unstuck my bike, lol.
j0ney3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Keep it up Swampy . If you convince everyone how great the riding in Florida is, we will have less traffic up here in the mountains

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #40
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

Just A Little Springtime Ride: 4-21-10

From earlier this year...
--------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so it's spring, I'm going stir crazy waiting for the shoulder to finish healing and waaaaaaaaaaah! I wanna go riding!

So I wheel the 690 outa the garage and take a small spin... well... 120 mile spin actually....

I head up the coast a little up through Aripeka and over into Springhill to stop at Motorcycle Enthusiasts for some new-bike-sniffin'.... yes, it's okay to inhale while in a bike shop... just don't buy anything.... but ordering farkles to be "officially" purchased later is acceptable!

So from there I head on east and get that fine grit between my teeth, the smell of pine needles, and the openness and loneliness that is the woods.... I'mmmmm Baaaaaaaaacccckkkk! YES!

690 in repose, riverside...

There's just something about a road less traveled to bring you around....

Springtime in the forest...

Florida Beaches... dual sport style!

One of my favorite spots along the way...

...and I motored on home afterwards.

My friends, many times I have heard (or seen posted elsewhere) that Florida sucks for riding. Don't pay those boneheads any mind. Because they have no freeking clue!!

Now... gotta catch up with DRIVER. We're heading to Quaker Steak tonight for BikeNight!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Next Up: Get ready for a multi-part report coming up!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #41
TheRidingLibrarian
F**king ssssssh!

Oddometer: 451
Here! Here! Florida can be great fun if you know where to look.

I've recently discovered, thanks to another inmate, the wonders that is the Homosassa-Inverness-ish areas. Amazing!!!

Looking forward to learning about other areas. As soon as I have a reliable DS I'd love to do a DDS ride!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #42
advcracker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:

Next Up: Get ready for a multi-part report coming up!
X-FL? New York State of Mind? DragonSlayer? Tour of Idaho? Copper Canyon? What's it gonna be Swamp? Yer teasing us AGAIN!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #43
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

I Got To Thinkin'

I got to thinkin' tonight and ran across this post on DDS I did back in '07... '07! Can you believe that was 3 years ago already? Unreal.

Up to that point these were some of my favorite pics... total random, no theme, just that I liked them.... let me share them with you...

Whatta ya think?

-------------------------------------------------------

4-26-07

I got to thinking and scrolling through all my photo files just looking for that wanderlust feeling again and i decided to gather my favorite photos from the past few years. Each one means something, has a funny story attached to it, or is just a great picture in it's own right. Sometimes we get lucky and all the elements come together for a great shot that conveys...well...whatever... Some of these I have framed in 8x10...they're just good pictures....

Anyhow, what follows are my favorite 35 pictures out of about....at least 700 sitting on my laptop....

Hope you guys like 'em... (each picture has an explanation directly under it...)

Lincove Viaduct, Blue Ridge Parkway, 2003. My first ride on the BRP, I had one day to explore, it was cool and rainy all day, but no matter how you shake it, it was a great day...

KLR in repose 2003. My favorite mountain top in Tennessee. We've vacationed in this area for years and I've been riding up to Buck Bald since the mid-90's.... From this mountain top you can reach up and touch the stars at night, and I have many fond memories of brittster growing up and we'd go up there, hang out on the picnic table and watch for satellittes on clear summer nights...

I just think this is a cool picture. Rich Bumar on a ridge in GA, circa 2004

I handed off my camera to 3D for this picture at Buzzards Roost, in NC back in 2000. This was from the absolute best Oktoberfest ride...it had rained all morning, everyone but about 8 of us bailed out on the day. By noon, the skies cleared, shocked out the color of the leaves, and Jim, Smooth, 3D and myself enjoyed one of the best days of riding in our lives. It was one of those days when EVERYTHING just came together and clicked...

Another fav. This just captures the survivalist spirit of riding. Callie Knight in the Talladega NF Alabama 2004 at the DDS Fall Classic.

Just another pic I like. Beautiful sky and a view that goes on and on. DDS Fall Classic 2003

...another that I just like...came across these goats along the side of the road as we decended into the Copper Canyon. They live on the edge and in the wild. Sure footed and confident. Isn't that what we all strive to be? Mexico 2005

A home-coming ride. This is a clear summer day in the Town of Meredith in Upstate NY, where I grew up and learned to ride. I used to ride snowmobiles in the fields and woods you see behind the Triumph... This is a view from the top of the mountain 2004

Just a wonderful picture. The start of the Speedsville enduro in Speedsville, NY, 2003...

Yet another I just love. Simple. Clear. You can Feel the ride... DDS Fall Classic, AL 2004

One of my most recent photos, I stumbled upon this glade while having a wonderful day on the KLR. It was about 5pm, the sun was setting, and the late afternoon sun brings out the vibrant greens and yellows. this swamp looked much like you'd see in those dinosaur movies. primordial ooze. What a great day it was. Dixie County, FL 2007

What can I say. You had to be there. This is the Cascade de Basaceachi, a 1500 foot waterfall in Chihuahua, Mexico. What makes this awesome to me is that not only can i still hear the rumble of the water and see the rising mist, but just a hour or so earlier, I was standing there at the top of the falls basking in it's wonder while the winds lifted the mist up from the canyon and into the air. Simply awesome. 2005

Stumbled across this TVA dam in Tennessee. Just a cool pic on a perfect day riding a motorcycle...2003

Had to throw this in. It's not a motorcycle picture, but we were staying at a B&B in Hutchenson Island, FL, just north of Jupiter. A wonderful sunrise on the Atlantic. 2004

Hanford Mills Museum, East Meredith, NY 2003. Other than a beautiful setting with the red mill and the mirror like reflections from the millpond, it's another thing I took for granted so many years ago when i was growing up. The connection lies with the house in which I grew up in and my mother still resides. All the wood interior mouldings and trim were fabricated here, in this mill, over 125 years ago...

I like this one as it shows a challenge, the action and result that is part of being a adventure motorcyclist. Bob Jones on the very first DDS X-FL ride 2006

Another picture that just shows what we love about riding. From his head cocked to the side to the water lapping at the top of his boots while the bike is stalled in a water hole, you can just feel the "WTF" that's running through his head...Jeff Allen in the Armadillo DSR, Ocala NF 2005

I like this one for a few reasons...one, it's me hanging out with my DR650 in Mexico (how cool is that), plus the grand expanse with nearly nothing in it, plus the history lesson of all the great indian chiefs from Americas southwest who used this valley and plain as a respite during during the wars with the westward migration of white settlers...

Again, the Hanford Mill Museum. The mill strikes a bright pictures of survival and revival, much like the new Hinkley built Triumphs...2004

Hooch dual sport ride at T.W.O. 2004. This is just a great shot. You can feel the excitement and that "event" magic taking place. Combine that with the various pleasant memories and stories throughout the years from our travails at TWO, it just makes me smile... Suches, GA

Again, a shot of Mexico. This is from our first rise into the foothills of the Sierra Madres...2005

0830hrs on Aripeka Road along the Gulf Coast. Nothing like a late winter morning...2007

...and then we have a picture of the Copper Canyon as we descend. We will soon be on that winding road at the bottom 5000 feet below... The impact of the canyon is indescribable...2005

A simple picture of a late spring snow in the Catskills of NY. I can smell the hay, feel the bite of the cold, smell the fires, and hear the squish of the springtime mud as my boots hit the ground. Sap is running in the sugar maples, spring is around the corner. I still call this home. Sometimes I miss NY...2006

I like this just for the coolness. Joel Reasons and his BMW HP2 cruising the beach and riding the surf. I can feel the freedom of riding in this picture... DDS X-FL ride 2006

Yes, another one from on top of the hill behind the family homestead in NY. You have to admit, I grew up in a lovely area of the country...oh, and 20 years ago, it wasn't this populated! How long would open land like this last in Florida?

Culture differences. Here a man fills my DR in Batopilas, Mexico. He pumps from 55 gallon drums stored up in the building. Not everywhere is America. 2005

One of my favorite haunts in upstate NY, Pepacton Reservoir. Still relatively unknown to bikers, since it's about 3 hours from metro NY. Wonderful snake-like pavement running all around the lake. Under these water lie 5 different towns that were destroyed and flooded in the 1920's by this dam just so the City of NY can have water...2004

I like this shot. A`setting sun casting shadows, a cool gulf breeze, mist in the air, seagulls and pelicans. Florida has beautiful out-of-the-way places. Don't be afraid to go exploring... 2007

Sunset from Cheaha Mountain, October 2003. I stood at the overlook with Marty Barbero and about 20 others as we watched the sun set and the feel the cool fall air settle on the mountain top. Later that evening, I had dinner with Marty and John and we talked about life. That's why I ride, it brings experiences you see and share, and friends you make even if for a brief time...

This is the first view I had of the Copper Canyon. It is so deep, you can feel it try to pull you in as you step towards the edge. The winds blow up allowing strong breezes to dance along the rim. As we were standing there in awe, we watched a hawk effortlessly ride the currents until it landed on a perch on the canyon wall below. Not so spectacular you may think, but we were watch the soaring hawk from ABOVE it, not looking up at it!

Ashokan reservoir in the southern Catskills, another sweet and scenic road. From this vantage point you can see Mt Whittenberg and Slide Mountain in the background. When I was in college my Phys-Ed class was backpacking (tough class, I know...) and our final was a three day backwoods camping expedition up to the peak of Slide Mountain....2004

West Meredith cemetary. Designated as a historic site by the state of NY in 2003. An early morning dew clung to the grass as we walked the gravesites and sat on the stone walls, remembering people long gone and easily forgotten, but not on this day. Markers here date back to the early 1700's.

This photo shows a small section of why I enjoy dual sport adventure riding in Florida. You can feel the solitude in these woods. WSF 2007

Just a great picture of my Triumph taken outside of Milton Fl in the panhandle in 2004...

This is the view as we crested a hill after leaving Batopilas on our way to the Lost Mission. Rough and rugged. Reflects the Mexico I've come to embrace and long to return to. Real life, real people. No electricity here, no internet, no 7-Eleven's, no malls, no scrambling to get ahead, no pressures we feel on a day-to-day basis. Perfect evidence that an advanced society creates it's own ill...

Okay, here's #35

From the rim of Providence Canyons, Lumpkin, GA...yes...Georgia!

I hope you liked these pictures, each one means something different to me from just being cool to being who I am. This is why I like to ride...

...And Here Are Pictures By Others That I Really Like:Here are shots from DDS's own Jakbrand that I enjoy:

from his post "Tour of Apillachia"

This one is one of my all time favorites...

I like this one...it has the feeling of going on infinitely from the fence to the sky. I could just fall into it...

...and these from his "Natchez Trace" thread...

...and from my buddy Bert:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So many more miles and places since I originally posted these pics... far too many fabulous pictures and memores... but I'll try to share as we go!

Hummmmmmm..... what to post next.....

Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #44
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Thumb

Dude.........nice report. Thanks for taking the time!

Starting in the early '70's I have made many trips to the Crystal River/Inverness area. Love it down there. There is a lot of nice country in Florida, you just have to get away from the "destinations".
Old 06-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #45
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

Thanks Wayward!

While I'm at it, with over 2000 views to the thread I know there's more viewers, so stop in and say Hi! I'd love to hear from ya and know who I'm sharing the ride with!

Leave a greeting!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!