Oddometer: 693
I saw some dualsporters today in Lake City, some of
you guys?
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #77
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer: 707
Coulda been, there's only 2400 DDS members!

What to post next....let me see.....

Pasco County Cemetery Tour

Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #78
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York State of Mind

Okay, I'm a Native New Yorker. By that I mean I was raised in the best part: Upstate NY! Small little town in the Catskills called Meridale, just between Delhi and Oneonta on Rt 28.

Not much to talk about. The cows outnumbered the people. 3 kids in town my age. Summers spent fishing, and wandering around the countryside on dirt bikes. Winters filled with snowmobiling and skiing. Trout fishing in springtime, deer hunting in fall.

The way life is supposed to be.

Last summer Momma Swampy wound up in the ICU again and I made a journey up to be with her, set the direction of her care, and try to tidy up things "just in case"

Here's a report about that trip...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York State of Mind

(Originally Posted At DixieDualSport, June 2009)

As ya'll know, I had to leave and head north to tend to Momma Swampy. And while this was more urgent than all the other trips, I do not head north and not bring a bike! This trip was no exception.

So packed amongst the other things and essentials was the trusty Triumph. I had it in NY back in '05 and it is just made for the roads up there! (BTW riding in NYS is better than N. GA & NC...street wise anyway...)

So let me take you along on my trip. I've picked out 318 pictures from over 12 days. And of those 12 days, I only got to put in about 14 hours of riding total. And those were the solitary miles you need to rearrange your world when it may come unglued.

Let's get started then! This is a trip full of history and adventure! Go get your Rand McNally atlas so you can play along. I'll wait....

In the meantime, enjoy the band...

Good, you're back! Just dancin to the band while we were waitin' for ya! Now follow along...

It's a pretty basic trip, though I had a late start. Shoot up I-75 to Ocala, grab 301 to I-10 (I usually stay on 301 up to Yulee, but today I didn't) and take I-10 over to I-95 North....

My late start meant that I wouldn't reach my normal one-day destination of Pulaski, VA (or Roanoke) so I settled in and targeted something north of Charlotte... (I like I-81 over I-95. It adds a couple of hours but is well worth it, especially if you have to stop overnight with a bike in the truck!)

So away we go!

Trouble develops in GA! Traffic backed up and I need fuel. I pull off around Savannah on Hwy 21 for gas, then decide to bypass the rest of 95 and intercept I-26 somewhere in SC.

As My Buddy Bert says: "Adventure is where you find it!" So break the routine and go look around!

I take 21 into Rincon then Springfield, then take a right and head north on 119....

119 eventually merges with 321 somewhere in South Carolina, and with a quick BL PR SR321, I'm still heading in the right direction!

Old southern small towns dot the trail I have chosen... brick buildings, railroad tracks, water towers.....

One little small town after the other... then in Estill, SC something catches my eye...a quaint piece of architecture and advertising, mixing together to form something totally southern in flavor....

I continue north on 321. Even in a truck there's an opportunity to explore places you've never been to before, and likely will never see again. As I think about it, it's sad really. For one brief moment, that's all you will have....

Anyway, I come through Fairfax, SC and what do I see? Seems our buddy Bert has branched out and expanded and has a well kept business secret! Did he tell you about it? Didn't tell me. Bert, you got some 'splainin' ta do!

So the sun is beginning to dip in the sky, I'm in rural South Carolina..... Hello?............. What's this?!?

Hummmmmm...... I never knew that!

...and in case anyone is interested (don't see many of these around nowadays!)

Welcome to Sycamore, named after the plantation as stated on the historic marker two pictures ago! Classic agrarian south here my friends.

Some signs like this one in Ulmer, SC you just don't see anymore....

If you're following along you can name the two European countries I visited along 321...

...and north of them, the sun began dipping below the tree line... I-26 coming up soon...

Darkness falls and I'm left with the glow from the flight deck. Some inane comedian on Sirius makes me chuckle from time to time. Night skies blurred by headlights.

Somehow I pass Charlotte and not even know it. I spend the night at the Comfort Inn up on a hill in Jonesville, NC...

Tomorrow, a long drive awaits...

Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #79
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York Stae of Mind: Part 2

New York State of Mind: Part 2

So I spent last night in the Comfort Inn in Jonesboro, NC.... and what is sitting at the bottom of the hill......a bastion of Southern Dining!

I had breakfast at the Cracker Barrell down the street. Now I love the WaHoo, don't get me wrong... but if I'm gonna be cooped up in the truck... I don't want WaHoo working on the inerds... so to speak....

So I hightail it on outa Jonesboro at 1000...

I hit Fancy Gap by 1030. This just happens to be one of the reasons why I like to take this route north....

Here's a view to the left side of I-77...

...and the view to the left side on I-77...

Time to BR on I-81 towards Pulaski, VA.... numerous times I've made the mistake and BL and headed into Wytheville... but not today!

Some random scenes through the Shenendoah Valley... it's difficult to take pics while driving, especially ones that could capture what the Shenendoah is really like.... I believe I will move here one day....

Almost Heaven!

For 40 minutes..... until I reach....

Home of Budd's Creek... you MXers know what I'm talkin about!

About an hour later I'm crossing into....

North of Harrisburg I disike the drive.... but get on those side roads with a bike! Gawd... makes Western NC seem like a tricycle destination!

Here I'm coming up to Wilkes-Barre.....

...and a few hours later, I'm back in the New York Groove!

There's always something about going "home". Especially when "home" is as beautiful as Upstate New York, mainly the Delaware River valley and Central Leatherstocking Regions!

But you'll see as there's more to come....

Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #80
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Waiting for more Swampy!!
I lived in NY in the Delaware Valley area for 2 years, beautiful place!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #81
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York State of Mind: Part 3

New York State of Mind: Part 3

Okay, so I've bored you with the trip up. But not really. Because adventure is where you find it. And this entire post is "re-finding" the adventure where I grew up. It's one of those ironic pieces of life where we grow up we never appreciate until we grow older. And this is a true-ism that can only be appreciated by those of us who have grown up in one place, and have made a life for ourselves a long way away.

While it's been said that you can never go home, and that life is a flowing river, it's good to get back and see the river, even though it's changed....

In today's episode, I'm going to expose you to a few things. In this post, I'm going to take you to Delhi NY, the place where I went to high school, spent my second tour in college, and have friends. The place I was so anxious to leave, yet is so inviting to return. So goes life....

While it may not be much, here's a shot of "up the road" where I grew up in Meridale. This used to be a dirt road, and this is a picture of a hill, or as we called it when we were 10, "up the hill" because we would ride our bikes to about here, then ride back "to the pavement" and do it again.... It's also here where I ran that little 3-speed automatic Kawasaki KV75 up to 50mph!

At the end of Lewis Rd it intersects with the Catskill Turnpike. An old toll road that ran from the Hudson River to Unadilla in the days of horse drawn carriages and stages.... today it is affectionately known as "Turnpike".... If I still lived there, it would make a great mile-by-mile report from beginning to end....(I did this on my next trip... wait'll you see THAT report!)

I make a left at Turnpike and head back towards Rt28. Along the way is this long field. We used to ride our snowmobiles out of the woods in the background and across this field. Wide op em, two stroke screaming sleds! In the middle was (is) a drainage "hump" where if heading one way we could bust snow drifts, in the other, we could launch! It starts early, doesn't it....

Now what we affectionately call "the top of the hill" is where Turnpike meet sRt28 at Meredith Square. Here's a view from the top.... unbelievable isn't it. Simply motorcycle pretty.... that white line in the distance is John Hamilton's farm, the ride just off to the right is the highest point in Delaware County....

Just another pic... sometimes my heart yearns for those long gone days...

So I take Rt28 to Delhi. Let me tell you about "28" it's a killer road all the way from Kingston to Cooperstown!

But, Now comes the time to orient you a little bit. While the south is rich in history and Civil War era connections, it's here, in upstate NY, where the Civil War is recent history, but the towns and villages were built on the French and Indian wars, and the American Revolution. By coming here, we step back another 100 years from where we are in the south. To the time of the founding of our country, and to the time of colonialism....

The classic town square. Couldn't fit it all in the picture, so bear with me as we make our way around.... here's the old Courthouse...

We reach into the development and the inner workings of our country!

The Civil War Memorial on the square...I'll let the picture speak for themselves...

A bandstand. Seemed so hokey while I was young, now a symbol of times long gone...

Every town square deserves a church/townhall with a broken clock. Much like Back To The Future. But indeed, since it's construction, how much history has happened here?

Now I'm including this as a contrast in post offices. You'll see others along the way. But colonial design and brick in construction....

A recent building, opened before I left... named after a State Senator. I went to school and played baseball with his son....

An example of the architecture around town...

Let's shoot up to my old school. When I went here it was grades 4 through 12. I graduated with 98 people in my class in 1981. The school in Andes on the other side of the hill had a graduating class of 8 that year.(Not a typo!)

It's also funny that I rode my bike to school today, just like I did so many years ago....

Couldn't get a good shot, but on the hillside across the valley from my highschool is SUNY at Delhi... This was my second college, the one I went to for Hotel/Restaurant Management....

Just a glimpse of the downtown area...

I cross a bridge and head towards Backriver Rd. Here's a view of the Delaware River (yes, THE Delaware river of George Washington fame, but we're closer to the headwaters than the Trenton!)

And here I'll pause for the next post... which includes a history lesson on the area, covered bridges, and architecture along with men who fought to establish our country in the face of British tyranny....

Stay tuned for more....

Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #82
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York State of Mind: Part 4

New York State of Mind: Part 4

So Backriver Road winds north towrds Stamford. A narrow county two lane road as compared to the state highways. It dips and turns, rises and falls along the east bank of the Delaware....

Roads like this are common in Delaware County....this one leads up over the hill to Federal Hill Road and then down to Rt28... I included this road as part of my Central NY Adventure Tour route sheet I put together a few years ago....

As the road sweeps around, my targeted destination comes into view....

Fitches Bridge, in the past it was painted red, but it has been refurbished....still, old covered bridges are always a welcome sight for me, in the north, in the south, it doesn't matter. I like old bridges...

As you can see in the sign, it's on the National Register of Historic Places and was refurbished in 2001....

Notice the time-period touches of the refurb.... wooden pegs hold the bridge together!

...and as for me, I believe I owe the $5 fine, but there's no one around to collect.... so I'll save it for next time...

More to come....

Old 07-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #83
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York State of Mind: Part 5

New York State of Mind: Part 5

The day, as you can see, was nearly perfect. Well, let's dispense with the "nearly". The temps were in the low 70's, a slight breeze, blues skies and high clouds. The fresh sweet smell of newly mowed hay wafting along the cool early summer breeze. Who could ask to be anywhere else at this moment...

Views like this splatter the valley. Old homesteads, farms. So many man hours of plowing, cutting, baling. Shoveling snow, sledding, running maple sap to the boilers for syrup...

Let's stop off here and take a brief look at how life was in the earlier days!

We're met with a rake which is constructed at a slight angle. So when pulled, it rakes the hay into wind rows for quicker drying and easier baling...

While this isn't a baler, it is used to pull the hay from the ground and drop it in the wagon....

Let's walk along the path shall we...

He look! A gun shop! Fishing and hunting were all part of the survival in earlier years. No Wal-Marts, no SuperMarkets. And they came in handy for shootin things like woodchucks (makes a decent stew), deer, the occasional bear, and tresspassers...

So here comes a long forgotten piece of American history. Community schools, one room schoolhouses!

After you go through this section, please keep this in the back of your mind. I'll be taking you to a little red school house in a future post!

So let's begin our tour of rural education of Delaware County!

School bells and flag poles. What ever happened to those I wonder. The open door on the building opens to the cloak room/boot room...

Real black board, not some white erasable marker board... after all, isn't that more environmentally friendly to have a piece of slate and compressed chaulk than some chemicals? But hey, that's just me....

Now I'll just leave the commentary to the following pictures I've taken from the story boards in the schoolhouse... Enjoy!

I will ask you to keep in mind this next picture, especially the top one. I'll show you an example of that architecture coming up in a few posts.... pictures coming to life...

Next up, I'll show you around the farm...

Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #84
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York State of Mind: Part 6

New York State of Mind: Part 6

I know, I know, you want to get back to the riding. But ya know what? It's not all about the moments on a bike. It's about THE moment that you're in, the one where you spiritually connect with where you are. The bike is a vessel that transports you through moments, and it's a chosen vessel because it allows you to become the moment....that moment may be while your astride roaming through the countryside, or it may be a place in which the motorcycle carries you to.

So let's take a moment to continue with the moment!

Let's take a further look around the grounds.... here's the old Frisbee farm....

But what is so special about the Frisbee place you may be asking.....I believe this sign explains a little...

Classic example of a one-seat variety....that tree's looking pretty healthy isn't it!

Up back around the barn we come to this somber place...

Enveloped in the shade of the maples standing guard, is the final resting place for those who settled here long, long ago....

Flags and markers like this dot the ground. Let's take a closer look at their being....

A recognition of noble actions in the past....where if they were victorious a new country emerged... if they failed, they would be hanged for treason...

Joseph Fiske stood for a cause and lived to see the outcome of the sacrifice. The birth of a new nation.

For many, it's just history in a book. When you arrive a place, and recognize the times in which people live, and connect with the moment, you'll understand the importance of a small out-of-the-way stone wall with eroded headstones...

We now know about Joeseph Fiske. A freedom fighter. Revolutionary. Farmer. Father. Builder. Dreamer. Citizen Soldier. A true hero in the establishment of a new nation, based upon the will of the populous, the rule of law, and the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and that all men are created equal.

What you know today, was brought to you by Joseph, and many more like him. Many more forgotten names, graves and small cemeteries. This is where our freedom and independence comes from...from within these walls of field stone, from the the eroded headstones. Kept alive by small groups of people who take the time to remember...

We'll pause here at this somber moment and reflect on those who have come before, who have sacrificed, and who have given to us, that have allowed us, to become who we are. Let their importance not be forgotten in these uncertain times, and let their visions be the ones that guide us in our decisions of today.

It's not about government bailouts, handouts or health care. It's about standing for principles of what's right, in the face of oppression and tyranny. For better or worse, no matter the outcome. To stand there with your total being, and from the heart saying "This is what I believe in, and here I'm willing to make a stand."

It's the American way, and the guiding principle that shines the way for others. Personal freedom to make the sacrifice for the betterment of yourself and others. Individual initiative, not governmental mandates.

I don't apologize for my country. I stand tall with those who went before... for America is a shining city on a hill, that beckons for all...

This is how I was raised. This is what I believe.

More to come...

Old 07-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #85
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

New York State of Mind: Part 7

New York State of Mind: Part 7

Anyway, let's continue our tour... as I stated earlier, there were toll roads (Turnpikes). The colonial period was filled with turnpikes. And of there's a toll, there must be a toll house... which also acted as a weigh station for breaks and fresh horses along the way. Let's take a quick peak at one...

...and here's a map of the Susquehanna Turnpike... this is the one that runs "up on the hill" as I showed you in an earlier post...see the towns of Meredith and West Meredith? That's home! In a few more pictures, I'll show you some of the road in the West Kortright area as I'll be crossing oner it....

This must have been a welcome sight for weary travellers...

Back on the road. When travelling through Central new York, you can bet money that the best paved roads don't have center lines! These are the ones that take you through the country side, they may turn to dirt, they may lead you to sights only the adventurous rider will see! So let's cruise down Elk Creek Road heading towards West Kortright and East Meredith! (You're still following along with your map, right?)

The Clarke farm... a family farm for a few generations....

...I have put more hay in this barn than I care to remember!

Oh the signs we see along the roads less travelled...

It's sights like this that just make you go "moo" ...

As promised, a short stretch of the Turnpike again.... in places here it's still dirt...but not here...

Turnpike road wanders up around the farm in the distance. I BL and head towards East Meredith....the Triumph has been a good ride, the smooth power and torque of the triple allows me to stay in 3rd and 4th all day...

The old East Meredith town school, notice how the structure is the same as one in a picture in a previous post....

One of the interesting things about small town life in years gone by, is that towns each had a mill of some sort. Some were grist mlls, some were sawmills, some were woodworking mills, some had creameries. The mill in Meridal where I grew up was a grist mill. Though no longer there, the foundation of the mill, the dam that created the pond and the mill run are still present, though not intact.

Here in East Meredith is Hanford Mills, currently a resotred wood working mill which made decorative woodwork for building. All the woodwork and trim in the Swampy Homestead came from this mill sometime in the late 1800's....here's the website

Just a beautiful place to take pictures. I love this bike!

Sounding redundant, as I mentioned earlier, here's another example of a post office housed in an old home...

So I point the Triple up CR10 up up the mountain. Always a fun blast and a cool climb. At the top, another sentinal keeps watch over the lands it once worked...

One last picture looking back over the Western Catskills. For I head home at this point.

All told this little tour today took the better part of 4 hours to complete. The roads weres sweet, and the Triumph made the day one more to log into the memory.

This report is far from over.....

We'll pause here and break it up a little with another Florida post...

... then we'll get back to riding in the beautiful Catskill Mountains of New York State!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #86
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
I'm no born-here Cracker...
As a born here cracker i am deeply offended!! ........

How did I miss this thread ? Subscribed.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #87
Red Zebra
Signal 3

Oddometer: 308
Thanks!

Nice. As a former FL native, I enjoyed seeing this RR... A lot of folks don't realize you can still find solitude in FL.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #88
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Very nice report so far Swampy, keep it coming!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #89
Swampy OP
Mayor of Swampyville

School Supply Ride 2010

Shameless Plug Here For A Good Cause...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Annual DDS Ride For School Supplies!

Saturday July 24, 2010, Eustis, FL

Take a casual adventure tour (also a pavement only option!) through beautiful Lake County and help kids out at the same time!

Explore the paved and dirt roads of central Florida. Excellent ride for all bikes and all skill levels, so bring your GS, KLR, DRZ or TW200! Come enjoy the day and help make school a little easier for some disadvantaged elementary students!

Come ride Lake County's hill country:
- climb SugarLoaf Mountain, the highest point on the penninsula
- explore the land of lakes, orange groves and cattle country
- Visit a German country bakery
- take a tour of a Florida winery!

A grand day to be sure!

What's it take to join in the fun?

SCHOOL SUPPLIES!

Tell your friends, invite some noobies.

Here's an opportunity to introduce them to the great people who make up DDS!

We even have a special pavement only route for street riders!

Once again, the goal is to fill Swampy's truck with school supplies. (No backpacks this year, please. We found out that the school we adopted no longer allows backpacks for safety reasons.)

So bring your pens and pencils, paper and tape. Glue sticks and white glue, crayons, folders, construction paper, and whatever else an elementary school can use!

Ride information at http://www.dixiedualsport.com

-----------------------------------------------------------

Just a coupla pics from last year...

Swampy screwed with this post 07-16-2010 at 03:09 PM
Old 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #90
Browncoat
n00b

Oddometer: 2
As a FL native I love this thread. Hello from Dunedin.

Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote