Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
WyldKard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Jesse/Micatech: conflict with exhaust and/or luggage rack?

Still trying to decide between the Jesse and Micatech bags. Do either have problems with most exhausts, or do they install cleanly without repositioning/replacing the exhaust pipe? How about with a rear luggage rack?
WyldKard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Micatech
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 202
Hi WyldKard. On what bike are you installing the panniers?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
WyldKard OP
Adventurer

Looking to install on an F800GS.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Micatech
Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldKard
Looking to install on an F800GS.
Nice bike. For a Micatech setup, you'd be looking at the V2 Cases. They are available in 8" and 10" widths. They mount using SW-Motech racks. These racks are completely bolt on and don't require any modifications to the exhaust (or elsewhere).

This thread has some great details and photos (see the 4th page)

If you're interested in a Top Case, we have a system that works with the F800GS as well.

Feel free to check out The Official Micatech Thread for more info.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
EdOriginal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Not a problem with the Jesses

I have all three boxes (side panniers and top box) and definately no issues with the exhaust or rear rack with the Jesses.

I really like that you can move the Jesses backward and forward when you have a heavy load or passenger. Also, after leaving side loading bags for 3 years, I now much prefer the top loading bags. I find I can store much more in the top loading bags, and never a risk of leaking water or dust when crossing creeks/or dusty roads. I keep camping, clothes, etc compressed in my Left Bag...when I had side loading bags my packed stuff came tumbling out when I opened the door (especially from the SIDE STAND, at night in the RAIN). Never an issue with Jesses top loaders.

EdOriginal screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 02:06 PM
EdOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Mud Butt'n
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Jesse

I have to say Jesse!! After you top load you will never want to side load. Not to downplay Micatech.
Saint Louis, MO 63114
314-427-9090
Mud Butt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
Jesse

The Micatech's look really nice but I think stick out too far on the pipe side...the Jesse Safari, although you loose a bit of space work around the pipe and look great....would be nice if the rumour was true that Jesse is coming out with a 9 inch pannier...I am trying to find out if this is true
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Butt'n
I have to say Jesse!! After you top load you will never want to side load. Not to downplay Micatech.
Once you've used the Micatech semi-side loader, you won't want to go back to top loaders.. Imagine your pillion deck is strapped down with a big dry bag with your camping gear.. and it straddles the tops of your cases.. On the micatech V2 cases, you open the door, that's hinged about a third of the way up the side of the case which means when you do open the door, your stuff doesn't fall out, like on traditional clamshell side loaders, reach in and grab your stuff.. The latch and lock is also on the front of the door, no hand gymnastics to get at the lock/latch like you'd have to do on the stock Vario cases.. and there's no need to unstrap or move your stuff off the pillion deck to open the cases, as you would with a toploader.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
I've had both panniers

On the R12GS I used a set of Micatech Pilot bags (slightly different from the V2 bags sold for the F8GS), on the F8GS I have Jesses. Not quite apples-to-apples comparison but will give you an idea.

Micatech pros: Micatech side-loading bags have a "well", stuff you put in then mostly sit in the well and won't tumble out. Plus, side-loading makes it very easy to access the bags. Minor point: The Micatech bags bags have only one lock to deal with rather than two separate latches/locks as others do.
Cons: On the R12GS Micatech Pilot bags mount close to the bike. On the F8GS the Micatech V2 bags sit too far out for *my* needs. This was the same complaint I had for other pannier systems too (Trax, Happy Trails, etc).

Jesse pros: They mount in closer to the F8GS than other systems (that was a requirement of mine). The mounting system is relatively straightforward.
Cons: In order to have the bags sit in closer requires losing some space from the bag insides. I'm learning to pare my kit down, less clothes, less incidental crap so for me it's no big deal. Since the Jesse bags are top loading it's a bit harder to access the bags if you have stuff strapped to the top. I've not found this to be a big issue as I try to not overload the bike.

Both are quality products and you won't go wrong with either pannier system.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,820
I agree with blender here. I don't know the Micatech or the Jesse cases for what it's worth, but the SW Motech quick release system is a complete piece of sh** in my opinion.

When I look at this picture:

I plain cannot believe that Micatech went with this mounting system ... The cases seem nice enough and I really wouldn't mind them, but pairing a set of first class boxes with a third class rack is going to make the overall experience third class.

Na, never, ever.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Once you've used the Micatech semi-side loader, you won't want to go back to top loaders.. Imagine your pillion deck is strapped down with a big dry bag with your camping gear.. and it straddles the tops of your cases.. On the micatech V2 cases, you open the door, that's hinged about a third of the way up the side of the case which means when you do open the door, your stuff doesn't fall out, like on traditional clamshell side loaders, reach in and grab your stuff.. The latch and lock is also on the front of the door, no hand gymnastics to get at the lock/latch like you'd have to do on the stock Vario cases.. and there's no need to unstrap or move your stuff off the pillion deck to open the cases, as you would with a toploader.
Absolutely True....Viva Micatech....

Not to knock the Jesses at all. They're a great product but serve one at different needs. Can the Jesses take the abuse of the Micatechs as seen here?

The Micatech has one robust aesthetical mounting bracket that goes with the flow of the 1200GS bike if you decide to remove the cases.

Never spilled nuthin'....sidecases have lower wedge wall to keep contents in. Lids open in 90 degree format: used as picnic table, even at sidestand tilt as the lids have a lip, even better when on centerstand.

Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
I agree with blender here. I don't know the Micatech or the Jesse cases for what it's worth, but the SW Motech quick release system is a complete piece of sh** in my opinion.
Why?

It works well for me and others. It fit properly the first time I installed it.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
WyldKard OP
Adventurer

Quote:
On the F8GS the Micatech V2 bags sit too far out for *my* needs. This was the same complaint I had for other pannier systems too (Trax, Happy Trails, etc.)
That's my only complaint with the Micatech system. I get wanting to maximize space, but the bags sit so far out compared to the Jesse bags. If they sat closer in, the decision would be a no-brainer.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Why?

It works well for me and others. It fit properly the first time I installed it.
Because on every bike I saw them (in real life), they stick out far too much. The metal is pretty soft (or at least was on the once I tried), so they bent easily, which then makes it pretty good that they stick out so far as the chance of damaging the bike (rear plastics / subframe) is lower.

They can be taken off way to easy, bags included - I really wouldn't want to use them on an adventure tour. Also, I have installed some and seen some others installed and somehow I never saw a set that actually fitted really well (like the OEM Adventure Racks for example), where everything aligned right away and they were straight when installed.

Interesting enough as I really like the rest of the SW Motech stuff I've used so far (center stand, top case base plate, crash bars, other stuff).

And the Micatech cases: I kind of like them, but I think you can stuff things easier in top loading cases. Just easier to fill all the space. They are handy when you have a luggage roll on top, but other than that, I prefer top loading cases or cases I can easily take off without opening and carry into a Motel room and that actually sit stable on the floor - like the Givi E36 or so.

Right now I have BMW OEM Adventure cases. I like them, but next time I would buy Jesse Cases (Odyssey II), as those are narrower and come powder coated. The Micatechs come powder coated, but are waaaaaayyyy too wider on the F800GS.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

They LOOK WIDE in pics, but in reality, they are barely wider than the handlebars, if that... Choice is good.. you like top loading, others prefer the semi-side loading of the Micatechs.. There are lots of top loaders on the market, Micatech is the only semi-side loaders, so those who "get it" get the Micatechs.. I've used Jesse's and found them inconvenient to use, because anytime I needed to remove something that happens to be at the bottom of the bag, I'd have to empty the pannier to get at what I want in there. As for the SW racks, they looked beefy and install with ease.. they fit right the first time..