Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #16
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Once you've used the Micatech semi-side loader, you won't want to go back to top loaders... and there's no need to unstrap or move your stuff off the pillion deck to open the cases, as you would with a toploader.
Not entirely true. It just requires a different method of packing. When I switched from side loaders to Jesses I had that problem on my first trip with the top loaders. Traded the 28" duffel on a medium Motofizz bag which carries as much as the duffel but in a much more convenient way. And even fully loaded the bag doesn't interfere at all with the Jesse lids. It's the perfect kit for my style of travel, and those $2 canvas grocery store bags are perfectly sized for liners.

Nothing against Micatechs. They are very durable. I just couldn't get past how much they reminded me of my mother's old Singer sewing machine.
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #17
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
... Choice is good.. you like top loading, others prefer the semi-side loading of the Micatechs.. There are lots of top loaders on the market, Micatech is the only semi-side loaders, so those who "get it" get the Micatechs..
You mean, "so those who prefer semi-side loading" get the Micatech. It's your preference vs. another persons preference. Both might have their advantages, but there is nothing "to get" or not to get around it.

I have used both styles for some years and I prefer top loading metal panniers for camping trips and side loading "Givi style" for motel trips. The Micatech kind of combine the downsides of both for me, so what's to "get" there?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
I chose Jesse for mine because:

1) The Micatechs when mounted are too wide for where I ride. If you are a pavement only type, that would not be a problem.

2) The mounting system is an off the shelf set of racks that are not up to any rough usage. Again, probably ok for pavement only use.

3) Side loading luggage is not poplar for a reason. Most manufacturers are producing top loading because it is in high demand. Top loading is a must for me and most people.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
The Micatech kind of combine the downsides of both for me, so what's to "get" there?
Obviously there is something about the Micatech case design that keeps the company in business, if everyone preferred top loaders, Micatech would not be in business.. Choice is good and people vote with their dollars. People who buy Micatech cases do not want top loaders and do not want your traditional Givi style clam shell side loaders.

Top loaders are simply cheaper to make, hence the profit margin is higher.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Obviously there is something about the Micatech case design that keeps the company in business, if everyone preferred top loaders, Micatech would not be in business..
You say it, if everyone preferred top loaders. I do not prefer top loaders in every situation. I like side loaders that I can take off easily and bring to the hotel room where they are not rolling around and are completely unusable.

As ugly as they are, but the Givi E36 and E45 are actually some of the best cases around for this situation.

Quote:
Top loaders are simply cheaper to make, hence the profit margin is higher.
If you like to imply that this is their only "advantage" I call bullshit. They are much easier to pack tight. Yes, it's not as easy to get to things then, but it's much easier to get all your stuff in ... less wasted volume.

I can see why some people like them, but as said, for my personal use case, they combine the downside of the other two case options:

- I cannot stuff and press my gear in there as good as with a top loader.

- I cannot take them off easily and use them like a suit case when moteling.

- They are wide and have a soft attachment system. The cases are pretty strong, I know that, but what does it help when I'm in the middle of nowhere and the racks are falling apart.

I don't care for the optics or whatever. I think they are probably the best overall system around for the R1200GS (the Pilot cases with they mounting system), but for me personally? No, I don't think they'll work for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #21
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldKard
That's my only complaint with the Micatech system. I get wanting to maximize space, but the bags sit so far out compared to the Jesse bags. If they sat closer in, the decision would be a no-brainer.
Although it appears most here are united in the opinion that the Micatech mounting system for the 800 is below par from a width point of view and toploaders are the preferred type of bag, aftermarket muffers should fit both systems.

Wyldkard, what did you decide was the best system for you?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Hey abenteuerfahrer, am negotiating for a set of them. Any rebate if your bike is featured in their site photos (as yours is)?
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #23
WyldKard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Rick, I ended up going with the Jesse luggage because of the slimmer profile. I really do like the design of the Micatechs, but the lack of an exhaust cut-out and the wide racks just don't do it for me. Considering the Jesse storage capacity despite the thinner profile, they won out over the Micatechs, which I favor aesthetically.
WyldKard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldKard
Rick, I ended up going with the Jesse luggage because of the slimmer profile. I really do like the design of the Micatechs, but the lack of an exhaust cut-out and the wide racks just don't do it for me. Considering the Jesse storage capacity despite the thinner profile, they won out over the Micatechs, which I favor aesthetically.
It sounds like you did what you had to do to get the best product for your money. Wide luggage is not good on a dual sport bike, I think everyone agrees with that.

It is too bad the new mounting system is costing Micatech sales of their new bags.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #25
wetdog1965
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Jesse vs Micatech

4" is the difference. Jesse's do look nice and fit a bit closer. I went with the Trax boxes and the SWmotech rack. I liked the look and narrower profile of the Jesse's, but I can deal with the little extra width, especially when I save about $500 on the set. The Jesse's are definatly narrowerer and have better locks, but part of that is an optical alusion. If you look at the widest part of the F800 (or F650) you see the SWmotech racks are pretty close. Park two bike back to back (jesse on one and Mica or any other brand you'll really see the difference, but it's only 4". Even with the price differance I really considered the Jesse's (they're nice). The final factor that made me go with the Trax boxes was the ease in which they come off and can be use on the road as tables or seats. I do think the locks on the Trax are practically useless. They keep little kids out of the case, other than that anyone who really wants in will be in, in a second or two. I think the storage is more in the Trax (at least more usesable). Best way too decide is find a group of riders with various panniers and check them out side by side. They all have their pros and cons! Good luck.

Previous = Yamaha FJR 1300
Yamaha GS1100
Yamaha 750 Special
Honda XL 250
Suzuki 500
Honda XL 175
wetdog1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #26
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
I get what you're saying about the Trax cases, and in some ways I agree... But had I known about Jesse cases when I purchased my bike, I'd have gotten them instead. As a matter of fact, in the next few years, I plan on replacing my current Trax cases with Jesse ones. I love the looks of the Trax, but I don't have confidence in their durability for a RTW or other long dual-sport trip, and the locks are completely worthless. That 4" difference between the Jesse bags and these would make a huge difference when attempting something like the TAT...

For the moment, mine are fine; most of my offroading so far has been just day trips, where I either have no luggage or just a top case or Ortlieb bag. But before I do a few of the trips I have planned for the next decade, I'm going with the upgrade...
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote