Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #151
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
Truely a great Adventure!

I lived just a few degrees off the Equator for a while. Step outside, you're sweating. Hiking through the level jungle trails and sweat much more than I should for the effort I wondered what it would be like to ride my bikes in hot and humid areas like the one I was in... I decided, without having done it, that I wouldn't like it. I sweat enough just standing still Your report only re-enforces my opinion.

That's why I like the desert, hot but dry!
I live in Bali a few degrees south of the equator and don't have any complaints about the weather here. The riding is fantastic.

I have never experienced anything like the heat and humidity I experienced in Kalimantan. It was totally brutal.

I would hate to have to live or work there -or ride a bike through the jungle there again..........

KTMInduro screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 05:16 PM
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #152
dudy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
...awesom....more pict bro, please........
dudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #153
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro
I live in Bali a few degrees south of the equator and don't have any complaints about the weather here. The riding is fantastic.

I have never experienced anything like the heat and humidity I experienced in Kalimantan. It was totally brutal.

I would hate to have to live or work there -or ride a bike through the jungle there again..........
Well then, if I ever get the chance to ride Bali I'll have to give it a shot!

Again, great report thanks for posting, thanks for the ride!

C9
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #154
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Grueling grueling grueling grueling

Congratulations again my friends for an outstanding ride report--a perfect balance of understated text and extraordinary photos. You've got me sweating and gagging for air all over again.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #155
sambora67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
funtastic :) wat a great ride report
sambora67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #156
Rhetorik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wow can't wait for the next update. Looks like a painfully good time
Rhetorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #157
chook chaser
adv

Oddometer: 111
KT dam great TR my guts curdled when read that the 100,000 bond fo the 2 vehicles and then see were they are going dam i wouldnt have enjoyed that trip with that amount of money riding on schedule and wher they are going
I saw the one life live it and thought farr k what am i doing sitting here that is one hell of an adventure i think i would have turned back several times looking forward to the rest of the installments
chook chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #158
Mimic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Whoa! Just caught up as well. I'm sweating buckets just looking at the shots. Which are terrific BTW. Love to see the documentary.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #159
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,635

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #160
junzxxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Luar Biasa!!!
junzxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #161
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

We fight our way through to the stream.

The stream isn't very wide but theres a good flow of cool clear water flowing through. Theres also a massive muddy bank on the far side. Rudy attempts to get his 450 up the bank. It becomes very obvious very fast that this is gonna be really difficult.

After a huge amount of pushing, pulling and massive roosts we get the bike up to the top. It has sapped all of our energy and drained most of our water.

Didi then tries to get his bike up but in the end we give up. Its gonna kill us getting all the bikes up so we decide to wait for the 4x4's. Also none of us carry any water purification equipment so with little water we cannot ride far anyway.

I'm so f&*kin' drained and hot ! My lungs are burning , my chest heaving and I can't catch my breath . I take my riding gear off and jump straight into the stream. Wow - its fantastic ! I lie in some shade trying to cool down.

Insects are buzzing everywhere, and bees and butterflies especially start landing on our gear on the bank. Not just a few bees but literally hundreds of them swarming over the gear. We think they must be attracted to all the salt from our sweat.

Each time I want to go over to retrieve something like an energy bar from my Camelbak , I'm forced to wave my arms and quickly dive in whilst the bees get extremely aggitated and pissed off, before I run back to the relative safety of the water. I don't like bees and wasps at the best of times and this ain't fun.

Even dumping our gear in the water and washing it does little to stop the invasion. The air is alive with them and the noise is incredible.

We've now been here for about 2 hours. We are stuck with no way forward and have no idea when the 4x4's will get to us. They had a very difficult decent beside the landslide and we start to speculate "what if's" about them rolling over the edge and "what if'" we are forced to drink from the stream which is gonna happen soon if they don't turn up quickly.

Finally we do hear the noise of a vehicle. Its Crazy Sam and more importantly he carries an Esky of cold water .

Within 5 minutes he's attached a couple of winch lines to a tree over the top of the bank and has winched himself to the top. He then turns around and a winch cable is dropped to us below. Sams offsider wraps the cable around the top of my forks and tells me to sit on the bike. Sam shouts instructions over the microphone, the slack is taken up and I'm off up the bank.

Within seconds I find out how difficult it is to stay on as the bike is nearly vertical. I crash out and everyone shouts up to Sam to stop the winch. Sam's offsider and I then grab one side of the bars each and scramble up the bank with the bike. We drop it 3 or 4 times but do make it up.

Its definitely easier than doing it unassisted but I still feel like throwing up.

As we are all winched up, a few of the other 4x4's turn up. I'm forced to go down to fill my Camelbak from our water supply in one of the Fords and hear that the trail behind us is causing the vehicles huge amounts of grief.

We've had enough of this stream and the bees, and decide to push on to base camp.

KTMInduro screwed with this post 06-21-2010 at 06:42 PM
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #162
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Thirsty

Once again the going is really hard. We frequently have to dismount and man handle the bikes over fallen trees and to push them out of hidden holes that we get stuck in. The trail is also covered in the parallel rattan which means I have to concentrate hard to keep the bike upright. Its a total nightmare.

Ecas bike then has a radiator hose ripped off and he loses some of his coolant. After cross checking we find out that we have all also run out of water.

We are forced to spend an hour with no water waiting for the 4x4's.

We are not in a good way. After what seems an eternity we hear engines coming down the trail and once again we rush to the Ford. Our Aid convoy has arrived !! The guys in the truck are pretty astonished to see how thirsty we all are.

After repairing Eca's bike, we fall in behind the Ford. I'm not going to let it out of my sight until we reach base camp.

The going is really slow, but at this stage of the day thats fine. I'm hanging out to get to camp though.

When we get to the camp site its already dark and its raining. Within minutes Sams tarp is up and we take cover under it whilst his offsider puts the kettle on. Sam then feeds the whole lot of us !

The campsite is in a clearing that 25 years ago was an old deserted logging camp. All the topsoil has washed away and the whole site is hard bare sandstone.
I cannot find my tent in the back of the Ford, and some of the guys can't be bothered with their tents either, so we all jockey for an area of Sams ground sheet to sleep on. I inflate my mat and am left an area right on the edge.

Theres a river below the campsite, and some of the crew from the convoy are taking a bath below in the dark. Theres a commotion below and they all run up into camp telling us they had disturbed something large and hairy in the undergrowth beside the river. Apparently it jumped into the river and they heard it splashing as it swam away in the darkness. We guess this was a sun bear.

Today was incredibly hard and still is pretty uncomfortable. Rainwater is running inches away from my mat, and I'm still sweating buckets. I have a few drams of single malt and fall asleep wishing I had one of the hybrid tent / bed set ups.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #163
merchantofmenace
STFUAGBTW

Oddometer: 27
Amazing report! Good luck and keep going!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #164
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
That shit is gnarly! As a Canadian that mostly works outside all winter I do not deal with heat very well. I'm overheating just reading this. Love it!
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #165
Ridesolo
cereal lurker

Oddometer: 166
Thanks for the update.