User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #91
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Well I guess we've found Sovan !

I see his bike on the far bank and I wonder if this is some kind of joke. Is there another easier way across that he's not telling us about ?

I walk out and take a look. I don't like what I see. At all......

Unfortunately I also don't see another way across.

There is a series of planks layed across a foundation of huge timber. Either side of the planks there are some massive holes much like crevasses', with raging water 10 or so metres below. I realise that if I fall into one of these on the way across I'm most likely toast.

This is absolutely bloody terrifying .

Sovan whose bike is on the opposite bank thinks everythings hilarious. At the time I think he's behaving like a dickhead.

Rudy volunteers to go first.

He starts riding and nearly loses the back wheel over the edge. He is completly freaked out.

Didi and Eca grab hold of the front & back of Rudy's bike to stabalise it when theres no where to put his feet down on either side. At times on the right and left there's just an abyss.

Rudy makes it across after about 15 minutes. Now its my turn.

Slowly I roll forward onto the dam. There are a couple of times when I lose my balance and I start to topple towards a crevasse. When this happens I think I nearly puke or scream or both. Luckily one of the guys grabs the bike and keep it upright. I feel I'm on a knife edge - this is unbelievebly intense.

This photo says it all.

The Rekluse and the rear brake on the bars are indispensible on the crossing.

That was probably one of the scariest and probably most stupid things I have ever done in my life.

I discover I have a souvenir of the crossing.

Yes - Totally Insane.

KTMInduro screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 08:24 PM
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #92
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,971
Looking forward to hearing how this plays out :). The trucks cross that? If the last 11 days compare to the first 4 this is going to be a classic, heck it already is.
Keep it coming !
Thanks for sharing.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #93
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

I'm absolutly exhausted. A combination of the adrenelin come down and the opressive heat make me collapse shaking on the far bank. I carry a flask of Mcallen single malt and this seems to do the trick in revitalizing me.

Next up is Didi.

Didi isn't handling it too well either.

Rudy takes over for him.

Approaching the far bank, Rudy tries to ride Didi's bike out. The planks we are riding on are sliding all over the place and this time the plank pushes out from under the bike and he crashes out.

Finally its Eca's turn.

It turns out yesterday evening Sovan had found a small village and spent the night there. This guy had accompanied him out to the dam and helped him across earlier. He was a mute, but was such a happy guy.

Our friend on the KLX 125 , in his crazy enthusiasm for his new bike, had been out in front of everybody. He had somehow man handled his bike halfway across the dam by himself. Unbelievable.

Completely exhausted and physically unable to go any further, he had spent the night sleeping out on the logs ! When Sovan turned up in the morning he was still curled up, comatose on a plank.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #94
Woodapple
Pursuing life

Oddometer: 64
Amazing!

This is unbeliveable! I would probably have turned tail at the first gorge! Very impressive!
Woodapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #95
Ridesolo
cereal lurker

Oddometer: 166
Insane

I'm looking forward on how the rest of the group cross this log jam especially the crazy 4X4 driver's .
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #96
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
-- "group cross this log jam especially the crazy 4X4 driver's ."

Got that right...
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #97
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
As I was reading the first posts I was thinking about Glenn's trip around there and how hard it was.

Kudo's to both of you guys!!
I was too. In fact I started reading Glenn's post and was thinking "Wow, another guy who's.....oh it's him."
This kind of riding doesn't sound like my cup of tea. However, it's fun to read about it. Another similar adventure book is "Obsession Die Hard" about Mr. Culbertson crossing the Darien Gap"
Thanks for taking us along.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #98
Rhetorik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I cannot wait to see more. This is absolutely amazing.
Rhetorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #99
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesolo
I'm looking forward on how the rest of the group cross this log jam especially the crazy 4X4 driver's .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Looking forward to hearing how this plays out :). The trucks cross that? If the last 11 days compare to the first 4 this is going to be a classic, heck it already is.
Keep it coming !
Sorry to dissapoint guys - we didn't stick around to watch them. At the time we guessed there was no way the 4x4's would attempt to cross the log jam when they could ford the river somewhere down stream .

If you take a look downstream in this photo, the river was much too deep and fast flowing for the bikes and would have been fairly difficult for the jeeps but I guess doable. They would have had to winch down and up either side again I guess.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #100
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

I don't feel too great and suspect that I'm close to suffering from heat stroke. I get out of the sun and take some energy gel and drink more water.
We regroup and take a look at our roadbook. Theres a settlement about 30km further down the trail. We're very hot, tired and hungry and decide to ride on.

C'mon thats nothing dude !

Its flowing single track again with a few easy obstacles thrown in for good measure.

I'm riding along at a fair pace and narrowly avoid riding straight into this hole in the bridge. I slam on the brakes and manage to warn Didi and Eca of the danger just in time.

Slowly the trail opens up the futher we go and we begin to see the first signs of human activity.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #101
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

We ride into this clearing. Its our first Dayak village and its not quite what I expected. Before the trip I had had a romantic Nat Geo vision of Dayaks living in a long house, covered in traditional tattoos and carrying blowpipes deep in the jungle.

Progress had got to this Dayak village. No long houses, no tattoos and only shorts and t-shirts, but at this moment the modern world and its creature comforts are very welcome.

One house has a genset and a small shop selling cold drinks and instant noodles . Its bloody paradise.

Yes - even this tastes good

We hang out here for a couple of hours.

I go for a wander and explore around the place

Our host tells us that logging is illegal here, but Dayak's are still alllowed to fell trees if they use the timber for their own use and don't sell it.
However a 15x15 x 400 cm hard wood plank gets Rp 50,000 (about $5) on the black market. This is a huge amount of money to these people and he tells us that a truck comes into the village once or twice a month in the middle of the night to take what ever timber they may have away. That same plank in Bali would cost about $50.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #102
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Love it. I'm in for the duration.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #103
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
This is sweet! Made me late for work today... But I still need more - please help feed my addiction!
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #104
artunltd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
great report!!!!!

Keep the report coming. Last summer me and 2 other guys did 3 weeks in Malaysian Borneo. Nothing near as hairy as your trip, but was great.
Cheers
artunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #105
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,686
Wow! That terrain looks impossible!

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote