ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #31
Strobes
It's go time!!

Oddometer: 131
Installed the Oberon last night. Used 2.5w full synthetic fork oil. I also had available in my garage 7w fork oil. Is there an advantage in using a different weight oil?

Whether you order the Evo or the Oberon, it a big improvement over the stocker. It was only a short ride to work this morning, but the clutch was smooth like butter!
Strobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #32
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
strobes,

You did the right thing. 2.5 weight will give you an easier Clutch Pull and will also be better in Cold weather.

I used Synthetic ATF which is about a 7 weight and it works fine.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #33
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobes
Installed the Oberon last night. Used 2.5w full synthetic fork oil. I also had available in my garage 7w fork oil. Is there an advantage in using a different weight oil?

Whether you order the Evo or the Oberon, it a big improvement over the stocker. It was only a short ride to work this morning, but the clutch was smooth like butter!
Oberon is working great here too, smooth as butta
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #34
Uneasy Rider
The life of Riley

Oddometer: 635
Being a yank.....

Whenever possible, I try to buy products that are made here in the U.S., so Evoluzione gets my vote.

The Oberon looks like a quality piece & I'm sure it performs much better than the stocker.
Uneasy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #35
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Not Loving The Evo Yet.

O.K. I purchased the Evo because I like the 10 year warranty and I thought that alone was worth the extra money. But, I had a hell of a time bleeding the system but made it through that.

When it wasn't working I was thinking maybe it needed a shim or two but realized that it was not bleed properly. I then went back to remove the shims and start back at zero and could not remove the last shim. I then called Evo to find out how to remove or if I even need it on a 2007 990 and was told it was not need that previous model had different size clutch push rods (something that would have been nice to see in the directions).

If someone know the details of the various pushrod sizes from year to year please enlighten us.

Is it necessary to use shims with the Oberon? Is it a bitch to bleed like the Evo or is it that I don't know what I'm doing? I bleed the system on my KTM450 XC-W and my KTM200SX and don't have a problem.

How can I get the shim out? I tried all kinds of picks and small screw drivers but it pretty much in there.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and try to get some assistance. I wonder if this is going to fall under the warranty?

I was planning on testing asap as I'm going on a long distance trip real soon (a little over a week and only have this coming weekend to test). Not sure about running it without testing it a bit locally. Since I have heard that they have great customer service maybe they will rush a replacement to me in good faith that they will get the one I have back to them

I'll keep you all posted.

DirtySantana screwed with this post 06-28-2010 at 09:53 PM
DirtySantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #36
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
dirtysantana,

i saw your post and am not sure why the shim would be sticking. either way, it should not be an issue even with the longer (later) pushrod since each shim is only 0.75mm thick. we can swap out the piston if you would like but you will need to rebleed the system.

as the the bleeding issues, what fluid are you using? did you follow our instructions and use the supplied bleeder bottle? normally it takes only a couple minutes to bleed a slave cylinder so any feedback you can give may help us improve our instructions.

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 AM   #37
BRUNO BOTELHO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
I have the OBERON and works great
Very smooth

www.motoazores.com
BRUNO BOTELHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #38
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 277
In there but good

Yeah, I had the shims in and out several times in an attempt to sort the best combo for my 03/04 950A. The answer in my case seems to be two, which is a good thing since shim #1 looks to be in there for good. Is there a tiny shoulder or dimple on the bottom of the hole that's causing it to stick? Dunno, and I guess don't need to worry if I can continue to run one shim after I upgrade to the new spec (longer) pushrod.

Bleeding should be easy if you follow evo's advice to back-bleed the system, that's likely to produce a few bubbles you didn't know you had.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #39
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,617
Is it necessary to use shims with the Oberon?,, NOPE. Bleeding, Piece-O-Cake, took all of 1 min to do that.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #40
DirtySantana
Chopper

I called Evo after trying the back bleeding method in his directions and getting nothing. It seems that air is still trapped and he gave me a few additional tips: 1. Snap the clutch a few times 2. Take the bike off the centerstand a let it sit on the kickstand. This took care of it pretty quickly.

The shim is the problem now or maybe it's not as Evolutionize stated a few post above. I'm waiting to call at during business hour California time.

Looks like they want to help me out with this by replacing the piston but it may not be necassary? Would a .75 mm shim cause a clutch slip, are the tolarances so tight that this shim would make a difference?
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #41
DirtySantana
Chopper

O.K. folks I was speaking to guy over at Evo and he assures me that one shim will not make a difference, it seems you need a three shims to affect the clutch and if I have any problems that I should give them a call and they will take care of it under warranty.

I'm just a bit picky, so I probably drove the guy on the other line crazy with the many questions over a very simple issue which I guess is really not an issue in the first place.

I'll keep you all posted to what my first impressions are.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #42
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 277
Thumb

In addition to making a good product, the crew at Evo deserve serious credit for their willingness to communicate endlessly with people like us who are tearing into this system for the first time and need help with something that is, for sure, not nuclear physics. Thanks, guys.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #43
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport
In addition to making a good product, the crew at Evo deserve serious credit for their willingness to communicate endlessly with people like us who are tearing into this system for the first time and need help with something that is, for sure, not nuclear physics. Thanks, guys.
agree if i ever get one it'll be 100% evo even tho the ober is cheaper ... great customer support/service.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #44
XR Valdeez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Thumb Evo +1

Put the EVO unit on my 950 for my recent South America ride! Works great. I am using F/A-18 Hydraulic Strut Fluid.....

CURRENT POSITION
XR Valdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #45
DirtySantana
Chopper

I see all kinds of fluids being used, why the different choices?

Is it a tempature thing, longevity, etc.

I went with a mineral oil as what was in there before. Is this still a good choice? Went out today to test the system and all was well and it feels smoother that the stocker. Looks great also.