ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #46
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
Do you have pics Miguel?

I'll be installing mine this weekend... and a water pump seal... and new chain & sprockets... & a facet 171... and... its going to be a long weekend
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #47
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Do you have pics Miguel?

I'll be installing mine this weekend... and a water pump seal... and new chain & sprockets... & a facet 171... and... its going to be a long weekend
No pic Geek.

I went out yesterday and tested it out and it works great, smooth as butter.

It went on easily but a bit of trouble bleeding the system. Back bleeding the system worked but not that method alone. The folks at Evo gave me a couple more tips that they should include in there instructions that addressed the problem quickly.

1. The bike should be on the side stand not the center stand with the front wheel set off to the left.

2. Take the slave off and pump the piston with your thumb a few times.

3. Snap the clutch lever about 10 to 15 times.

All this got the job done quickly, but it seemed that back bleeding alone didn't take care of it so I spent alot of time getting it done. It took a phone call to get extra tips to make it happen.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #48
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Seal Difference

Time to bump this thread back into existence

The Oberon seal is different than an O-ring as it uses the shaped lip of the seal to press outwards against the cylinder bore when the user applies pressure through the fluid. As such, as the pressure increases, the seal presses out and creates a stronger mechanical seal.

Hydraulic systems use this in an attempt to create a good seal where the sealing surface is moving while it must remained seals. it is common in many car, truck, aircraft braking systems in the world.

O-rings are more commonly used in a static (captured by plate/etc, snap-ring, plug & stay) hydraulic joints. In this case the ring channel is machined to hold the O-ring in place... which is not what is going on in our slave cylinders. Also, O-rings have a small sealing area (edge of a circle when viewed on-edge) whereas "flap"-type seals can have any size contact area the engineer chooses to use, depending on factors such as temp, pressures, speed of movement, etc.

As for design, being a professional motorcycle mechanic for years taught me alot about bleeding clutch/brake systems, and one that is designed to channel & capture that elusive air bubble you can't quite get out because the cylinder bleeder isn't located in the right place is golden... there are quite a few rear brake systems out there (Bandit1200 anyone) where some part of the cylinder, caliper or line can't be bled with serious disassembly & acrobatics and when it comes to clutch slaves, they have to be bled in place...

So I chose Oberon- thinking fellers, them.

$134.95 delivered to my door off eBay

if the anodizing wears off, so be it- just means I've been out there using it
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."

geometrician screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 11:33 AM Reason: grammar
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #49
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Can anyone comment if the action is lighter vs the stock KTM part with the later green lip seal?

Or are you all comparing the oberon/evo to the KTM part with o rings?
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #50
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Not KTM cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
Or are you all comparing the oberon/evo to the KTM part with o rings?
I was comparing the Evo v. Oberon as that was the thread topic. Mine is currently stock '06... Oberon on order

I wasn't as interested in just fixing leaking/blowouts but want more feel for the tight stuff in the mountains of West-by-God Virginia and the stock setup is sorely lacking in the clutch finesse & engagement department.

luckily the engine & suspension make up for it so I sometimes don't touch the clutch at all in the gnarly stuff, just opening & closing the throttle to find traction me like that
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #51
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Time to bump this thread back into existence

The Oberon seal is different than an O-ring as it uses the shaped lip of the seal to press outwards against the cylinder bore when the user applies pressure through the fluid. As such, as the pressure increases, the seal presses out and creates a stronger mechanical seal.

Hydraulic systems use this in an attempt to create a good seal where the sealing surface is moving while it must remained seals. it is common in many car, truck, aircraft braking systems in the world.

O-rings are more commonly used in a static (captured by plate/etc, snap-ring, plug & stay) hydraulic joints. In this case the ring channel is machined to hold the O-ring in place... which is not what is going on in our slave cylinders. Also, O-rings have a small sealing area (edge of a circle when viewed on-edge) whereas "flap"-type seals can have any size contact area the engineer chooses to use, depending on factors such as temp, pressures, speed of movement, etc.

As for design, being a professional motorcycle mechanic for years taught me alot about bleeding clutch/brake systems, and one that is designed to channel & capture that elusive air bubble you can't quite get out because the cylinder bleeder isn't located in the right place is golden... there are quite a few rear brake systems out there (Bandit1200 anyone) where some part of the cylinder, caliper or line can't be bled with serious disassembly & acrobatics and when it comes to clutch slaves, they have to be bled in place...

So I chose Oberon- thinking fellers, them.

$134.95 delivered to my door off eBay

if the anodizing wears off, so be it- just means I've been out there using it
Thanks for this piece of info, very useful indeed. Is the Oberon seal easily accessible for replacement (just in case)?
Deviant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #52
dually
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Oberon

Love my Oberon!!!

Dually
dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #53
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,618
8,000 on the Oberon , not a hick-up ever since, butter smooth operation and I still bleed every oil change, just to keep it fresh n happy. Love it. I have the black anodized version, holding up perfect.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #54
kulturide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Question apparently there is a third option!

Hi folks,

I don't know if you were aware of this...
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

I'm not selling this thing I'm just looking for a replacement since my clutch slave died on me two weeks ago :(
I have a couple of winter months to find a good product and I want to make the right choice money/qualitywise

So if any of you has any extra info about this german clutch slave, I'd love to hear from him.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #55
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
I have a Sigutech Unit on my 690. It is a very nice unit with (2) standard o-rings. I'm guessing it is similar to the Evo unit.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #56
Waterbaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Oberon for me, fitted nearly 2 years ago, fit it and forget about it
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #57
kulturide
Adventurer

thanks Uller, i'm going to get one and i'll let you know how it performs in time
but does your unit has a special mounting plate like the one in the Oberon kit?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #58
Mttodd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
evo shims

Looking at fitting an evo slave on my 06 950. Anybody know off-hand if it will require the use of a shim/s?
Mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #59
kulturide
Adventurer

Thumb Sigutech, another option

just installed my clutch slave, it's not Oberon, nor Evoluzione
i found it while browsing for a cheaper solution and available in the area where I live (Europe)
it's made in Germany, that should mean something, as I said I just installed it today (14.01.2012) works fine
initially the clutch action was to sudden but after a little tweaking with the handle adjuster it works like a charm
I don't sell this thing I'm just a (for now) happy customer; there are other inmates using it on LC4's, their advice was a determining factor for purchasing this, thanks Uller! ;)

here is a picture of it installed on my LC8
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #60
Scalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulturide View Post
just installed my clutch slave, it's not Oberon, nor Evoluzione
i found it while browsing for a cheaper solution and available in the area where I live (Europe)
it's made in Germany, that should mean something, as I said I just installed it today (14.01.2012) works fine
initially the clutch action was to sudden but after a little tweaking with the handle adjuster it works like a charm
I don't sell this thing I'm just a (for now) happy customer; there are other inmates using it on LC4's, their advice was a determining factor for purchasing this, thanks Uller! ;)

here is a picture of it installed on my LC8
Have received mine this week. Should be installing it this afternoon but so far very happy with the excellent service. It as well appeared (just appeared) like some ordered items where missing in the parcel and the response was quick and beyond any expectations. Can have only word of praise so far.

Ont ehing though; it looks topicallly German, aesthetically meaning square, bulky and dfefinitely bulletproof. Maybe too much. This could be in my opinion improved and I would be more than happy to pay a few more bucks for a slightly more "refined" look. Needless to say that's compeltely personal.
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote