ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #61
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mttodd View Post
Looking at fitting an evo slave on my 06 950. Anybody know off-hand if it will require the use of a shim/s?
I used an Evo on my '06 950 SM...bolt, bleed and go, no worries.
The Oberon on my current '04 950 was plug and play as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #62
Mttodd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks chuckracer, I installed it without any of the shims and it seems to work great. Had to use mobil1 synthetic trans fluid as I couldn't find mineral oil locally. Anybody know if this will hurt anything? Will probably have to order some online.
Mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #63
Buscapé
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
+1 for the german clutch slave (Hosi). Installed it some 60.000km ago, still works fine.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #64
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Thanks chuckracer, I installed it without any of the shims and it seems to work great. Had to use mobil1 synthetic trans fluid as I couldn't find mineral oil locally. Anybody know if this will hurt anything? Will probably have to order some online.
Not a problem, I've used that for years. Change and flush ever 10,000 miles or once a year.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #65
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
what I like about the Oberon that I got from CJ Designs is the billet aluminum backup spacer that replaces the stock plastic one
Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #66
gouralnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Installation instruction

Is there any detailed instruction on how to replace the OEM clutch slave with the Oberon unit? Also, how to replace OEM clutch reservoir with the CJDesigns unit? So far my search has been unsuccessful. Thank you.
gouralnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #67
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouralnik View Post
Is there any detailed instruction on how to replace the OEM clutch slave with the Oberon unit? Also, how to replace OEM clutch reservoir with the CJDesigns unit? So far my search has been unsuccessful. Thank you.
It's pretty easy. If you can change oil, you can instal this.

I have some install info here. (towards the bottom)
http://cjdesignsllc.com/ktmslave.html

My Extension does not replace the Entire Clutch Res unit. It's an add on.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #68
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
I bet that "billet aluminum backup spacer" works with the evo as well?

I need to get rid of that silly plastic stock piece.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #69
Scalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I installed yesterday the Hosi/Sigutech unit.

Only time will tell about the result, but so far everything perfect; Their service is just excellent, no surprises when installing it, etc etc.

Only "?" as I made in a previous post is purely about the look. It gets better once installed but still trying to improve the finishing (in that sense, the oberon one looks fine to me) would not hurt. I got it in orange too and the tone is not what I would have liked; would go for black or even red (to match with the adventure red stickers), if I was to buy it again (which I don't really expect (!) ).
Ok, all this "looks" b*****t doesn't make the bike faster, but in the end we all like her to look as pretty as possible , don't we ?

Now some serious (?) considerations; my old unit was dripping just a bit, and had not failed completely; in fact so few that the fuid was being trapped between the slave and the plastic spacer, part of it going who knows where, part of it was wetting the chain cover but I put it down to over-lubricating it; bottom line it was not easy to spot (I had a nice surprise when opening the whole thing and getting all the splash of trapped fluid. Made me think though this was a serious design flaw by KTM; including a chain oiler is nice but to put it in front of the chain rather than over it doesn't make any sense. At all. ).

Thing is it went like this for a while; nothing was noticeable but the fact that gearshifting was not at all as smooth as one would be used to with other bikes (in my case, I bought just a few months ago, so didn't really know what to expect, could have been this gearbox was particularly dodgy).
The difference with the new slave is massive in that sense. I think if failure it's progressive enough it can be one of those things you just get used to as they happen and you somehow autoadapt without realizing. But the gearbox will not like it of course. Again it's when you set things right that you notice how wrong they were before.

Another consideration; this slave has three o-rings rather than one or two. Maybe a bit overkill -or not- but i think doesn't hurt having a third one. One could wonder if that could be felt at the lever, but I don't think that's the case. It has hardened now, but I would put it down to the whole thing just working as it should.

All in all, I'm sure any of the three options will work great. In fact, it's not rocket science, and the only ones who seemed to manage to get it completely wrong are Magura/KTM... I was glad to see the old slave was not a Brembo one; it would have been truly disappointing if it failed like this...

Now a question about the plastic spacer; I can imagine some potential issues about it being plastic, but has anybody actually had those so far ? Thanks a lot!
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #70
kulturide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thumb tech-art :)

@ Scalex
Oberon looks slightly sexier, but Evoluzione is just as bulky as Sigutech, I'm an art director, I know
but point taken, anyway it's a mechanical part and it should look like one...
plus you're from Barcelona, museum city, art is flooding the streets so I feel you on this one, bro ;)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #71
Mttodd
Adventurer

It seems to me that the plastic spacer while being cheap, has the ability to insulate against heat transfer to the slave cyl. Just as phenolic spacers are used under carbs to isolate them from engine heat to alleviate fuel boiling and vapor lock. They do look nice, but the insulating quality would gone and the cylinder would in effect become a oil filled heat sink for the engine. I believe they made it out of plastic for that reason.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #72
cjracer
AWD please!!

Quote:
It seems to me that the plastic spacer while being cheap, has the ability to insulate against heat transfer to the slave cyl. Just as phenolic spacers are used under carbs to isolate them from engine heat to alleviate fuel boiling and vapor lock. They do look nice, but the insulating quality would gone and the cylinder would in effect become a oil filled heat sink for the engine. I believe they made it out of plastic for that reason.

The problem I was having w/ the Plastic spacer is it would get warped from heat or something.... Causing the shaft to bind a bit and let dirt and grit in. There is still a plastic spacer less prone to warpage in the system between the engine and slave unit. It's the larger part that you bolt the sprocket guard too. The Alum spacer is very close in price to the Plastic one. I stopped replacing the Plastic ones once we got the Alum spacer/ Slave combo going.

I've got over 60,000 mile on the Oberon and spacer setup now and zero issues.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #73
Mttodd
Adventurer

I see, my spacer is also a warped turd. And could not do anything but let grime in. Only kept it for the heat barrior effect. If the al units still have some sort of insulating layer going on, I'm all in. Should have figured better minds than mine have eyeballed this deal long before I weighed in.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #74
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
I see, my spacer is also a warped turd. And could not do anything but let grime in. Only kept it for the heat barrior effect. If the al units still have some sort of insulating layer going on, I'm all in. Should have figured better minds than mine have eyeballed this deal long before I weighed in.
the heat insulation factor is negligible. If heat levels are high enough at the crankcase to effect the slave then you will have more serious issues to worry about
no doubt in my mind the choice to use plastic was cost and cost alone
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #75
gouralnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
It's pretty easy. If you can change oil, you can instal this.

I have some install info here. (towards the bottom)
http://cjdesignsllc.com/ktmslave.html

My Extension does not replace the Entire Clutch Res unit. It's an add on.

any more details by any chance as i want to get it right the first time :) i find the DIY jobs described on HOW forum are awesome, but why isn't there a detailed section for simple procedures like bleeding brakes, removing/greasing etc. wheels/bearings installing and bleeding a clutch slave cylinder etc.
gouralnik is offline   Reply With Quote