User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #1
Furious E OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Bandit 600 won't idle when warm

I have a 1997 Suzuki Bandit 600 that I acquired around this time last summer from one of my college buddies as my first "real bike". By which I mean actually running, rideable, titled and road legal, in contrast to the series of projects that preceded it. The bike ran great last year and I was able to put a couple thousand miles on it before the end of last riding season before letting it sit outside all winter (I lacked a garage or other proper storage facility at the time, unfortunately.)

Well this spring I set about getting it ready for riding season and just couldn't get it running quite right. After putting fresh gas in (it was stored with a tank of Stabil and gas), cleaning the carbs and air filter, and changing the plugs I've gotten it to the point where it starts right up and idles fine when cold, but won't idle once warm. It runs fine anywhere above idle, pulls under load from low rpms just fine and all.

I have pretty much just ignored it for the last 3 or so months as other things have gotten in the way (job, girlfriend, new-to-me car I've been tinkering with, moving) but enough is enough. Summer is slowly dwindling away and i wanna ride. So help me out guys, this has to be something fairly simple and stupid I'm overlooking. Give me a few things I can troubleshoot this weekend.
Furious E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
When were the valve clearances last checked?
Have you adjusted the idle speed once the bike has fully warmed up?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #3
Furious E OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
When were the valve clearances last checked?
Have you adjusted the idle speed once the bike has fully warmed up?
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
The last time I fooled around with it I played with the idle speed some as the bike was warming up, but once it got warm it wouldnt stay running long enough to be able to play with it. I sprayed carb cleaner all over the carb boots on both the upstream and downstream sides looking for vacuum leaks and found nothing. Valve clearances have definitely not been checked since before my friend owned the bike, so thats a definite possibility.

I think I am going to first try setting the pilot screws to 3 turns out, as I saw recommended on a bandit forum, and see if that helps. If not, then I will check and adjust the valves.
Furious E is offline   Reply With Quote