Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2004, 10:00 PM   #16
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
The coveted "6th" LC4 gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
You may be refering to my story. I met a fellow LC4 rider who decided to add the sixth gear. If I recall correctly, it went like this: Since case clearances don't really allow for a gear physically LARGER than 5th, they took an RFS gear SMALLER (fewer teeth) than the LC4 1st gear and installed it below 1st and adjusted the final drive accordingly.
In other words, you now have a "shorter first" gear so the final drive can be adjusted to make 5th gear more highway style. The only problem was that the interval/space between 1st and 2nd gear was very "close" since it is not possible to go too much further down below the existing 1st gear in teeth. Therefore, first and second feel "closer" in ratio than say 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th etc.. I know they used this bike as a serious off-road abuse bike and apperantly there were no real issues other than the "closeness" of 1st and 2nd. In this manner the final drive was geared TALLER but, they still had a good dirt worthy 1st and 2nd albeit "close". This guy definitely did this too his bike but, I never got to ride it to sample the effect. AMEN
Going this route might not be such a bad option. One of my biggest beefs with the stock gearing is that first and second are too far apart, and this could solve that issue. Plus the added benefit of a taller "fifth" to smooth things more at highway speeds. Kinda the best of both worlds.

I want to contact the guy who did this, I'll PM you for more info.

Thanks!!
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 03:43 AM   #17
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
I'm pretty happy with my 5 speed box, 75mph in top is in a fairly vibe free zone and first is low enough to handle most technical stuff, the ratios are well spaced and the gear change is ok when you get used to it, I haven't found any false neutrals and can find find the real neutral easy when I need it.
I would like a tad more low down power which I can get via exhaust and jetting and at some stage may be interested in the auto clutch set up, but no hurry.

Seat is still a bitch though.

If I had a taller 6th gear at the moment then it would be near useless with the powere delivery, as I would be constantly changing down to pass cars or overcome hills etc..., I get about 60mpg at the moment, I am getting a real 300 mile tank range, this is on my usual commute which entails 5 miles urban roads, 10 miles motorway and a couple of miles trail if the traffic is really screwed.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:17 AM   #18
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster

I have no clue what shipping and the like would be for you, but my seat from Bojangles has cured my seat problem entirely. I do not think twice about a 300+ mile day right now - in fact I look forward to it! I think it is the single best mod I have done to this bike.

M
Old 11-07-2004, 07:24 AM   #19
daotoys1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
To bad some gear shop cant custom make a full 6 speed tranny to just R&R...of course I expect it to be much$$$$...but thats the price one pays trying to obtain perfection....

and...its not fuck 6 speeds, just give me more power...its...GIVE ME MORE POWER and GIVE ME 6 SPEEDS....why compromise...after all its a motorcycle, now a woman were talking about here...
daotoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #20
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
I'm pretty happy with my 5 speed box, 75mph in top is in a fairly vibe free zone and first is low enough to handle most technical stuff, the ratios are well spaced and the gear change is ok when you get used to it, I haven't found any false neutrals and can find find the real neutral easy when I need it.
I would like a tad more low down power which I can get via exhaust and jetting and at some stage may be interested in the auto clutch set up, but no hurry.

If I had a taller 6th gear at the moment then it would be near useless with the powere delivery, as I would be constantly changing down to pass cars or overcome hills etc..., I get about 60mpg at the moment, I am getting a real 300 mile tank range, this is on my usual commute which entails 5 miles urban roads, 10 miles motorway and a couple of miles trail if the traffic is really screwed.
PLEASE explain how you are getting 60 MPG and 300 miles per tank!!!
Obviously you must have some mods to your carb because in stock trim I'm only getting mid 30's per gallon which seems low for a single.

I also highly recommend the boejangles seat (assuming your inseam is 34+)
as the best 300 bucks you could spend on this bike. once you fix the seat and raise the bars, its like a whole different bike!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #21
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
PLEASE explain how you are getting 60 MPG and 300 miles per tank!!!
Obviously you must have some mods to your carb because in stock trim I'm only getting mid 30's per gallon which seems low for a single.
I was getting about 42 to the UK gallon, that is a bit bigger than a US gallon, that gave a tank range of 250 miles before reserve, I have adjusted my riding style so that my top cruising speed is now 75mph instead of 86mph and am changing gear at around 4500 rpm through the range on my commute and am now getting 50-60mpg depending on if I do a little off roading as well or if I just commute, I have never experienced below 40mpg. On my last tank I got 320 miles which is over 50 to the gallon and I seem to be doing even better at the moment.

Mid 30's sounds like either you are ragging the guts out of the bike or you have a problem.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #22
dagwood
Idiot Royalty.

Oddometer: 35,427
mid 30's to mid 40's on the us gallon. it really depends on where I'm riding.
I actually get better mpg off road than freeway driving but thats how I have it geared. 65 mph is abit tight with a 15/42 but I can put around all day in the woods and never bog it or worry to much about having to downshift. just feed the gas and bbrrrppp it goes. with the 16/42 I was shifting to much and with the
14/42 freeway travel was a chore. with the 15 primary I can still spin it up to 100+ for short sprints but I wouldn't want to stay there long.

btw, I only get 75 miles before reserve what am I doing wrong
Old 07-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #23
txrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Here's another gearing thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76875

I never did swap out gears in my RXC, but it seems there's a pretty good selection of gears you can swap out for your LC4, which along with sprocket changes should be able to customize any 5 gear setup you want.
txrider is offline   Reply With Quote