User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #61
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Here goes!

I threw this out yesterday to have the Rally at Mt. Carleton and have thought about it and would like to take the bull by the horns and say I'd be willing to do the organizing of the event. I have been up there a few times in the cage and on the bike and can honestly say it is a unique place and being the highest place in all of Atlantic Canada it seems fitting for the event.

My idea would be to seek some sponsorship, organize some rides, and take a general consensus on what we all would like and when the event could take place.

I don't want to step on any toes here and have never taken anything on like this before but the effort would be there and hope that some of you that have would step up and offer your experience.

I know we haven't come up with a place for this event and the jury is still out there but thought I would step up to the plate and see where that would go. Wherever it may be I'll be there. I just don't want us to go in circles too long and would like to see the event be what it could be. I know us Maritimers would have a good time if we met under a tree but it really could be something if we organize ourselves.

So there you go and looking forward to meeting all of you.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #62
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Pm sent Fundy Rider,

Thanks for stepping up and taking the bull by the horns. This could be quite the gathering.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #63
bluenoser OP
I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer: 56
Mount Carleton sounds good to me, just having a little peak at it online, think it should work quite well!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #64
West Isles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Now were talking! Wanted to get up there this year, and never did....kept puttin' it off.
Lets firm up a date, so we can make a ADV "circle" on the calender to get us through the winter.
West Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #65
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy
Pm sent Fundy Rider,

Thanks for stepping up and taking the bull by the horns. This could be quite the gathering.

just so you know I went to the 7th or 8th CroMag Campout in Maine in '08 and everyone there was all about a rally in Newfoundland and when I decided to host one the following year people were all over it and on ridetherock.com and it sounded big. by the time registration was closed I had 16 people registered, this year it was up to 35 for the second one. Whoever starts planning just be aware that for the first time around you can bet 50% or more of who's talking on the forum will not show up when it comes down to the wire. Just sayin'
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #66
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
just so you know I went to the 7th or 8th CroMag Campout in Maine in '08 and everyone there was all about a rally in Newfoundland and when I decided to host one the following year people were all over it and on ridetherock.com and it sounded big. by the time registration was closed I had 16 people registered, this year it was up to 35 for the second one. Whoever starts planning just be aware that for the first time around you can bet 50% or more of who's talking on the forum will not show up when it comes down to the wire. Just sayin'
See where it takes us but can't worry about the no shows. It's the shows I'll worry about. Besides I'll be with my bike and have a great excuse to go ride wherever it is and whoever shows up.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #67
skibum69
slave to gravity

yeah, it just deoends on how far you want to go with organizing. I charged registration to cover expenses like food, toilets etc. As I hosted ay my own house those things needed to be covered. You could just go with a campground somewhere and leave everyone to their own devices
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #68
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

I appreciate what your saying Skibum69 but I feel us Adventure Riders have similar Quality character traits and feel this community is very honorable and if anyone couldn't make it I am sure they had a good reason and all would be forgiven.

My idea would be to keep it somewhat simple and pick a place where we could all camp, do a few rides, and tell lies around a campfire. This way no one would be out of pocket for there effort if people don't show.

I also feel that if we have enough time and organize ourselves some doors will open to us. Time is in our favour now so let's take of advantage of it and see where it may take us.

I put Mt. Carleton out there because I do feel it has what we are looking for. Off the beaten path with some wonderful scenery and special place in Atlantic Canada that offers it's own uniqueness.

Again as I stated in an earlier post I don't want to step on any toes but do feel we need some direction. So Please chime in and let us know what you think of what I have offered to put my time in and do what I can for us at Mt. Carlton.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #69
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy Rider
I put Mt. Carleton out there because I do feel it has what we are looking for. Off the beaten path with some wonderful scenery and special place in Atlantic Canada that offers it's own uniqueness.
Gotta date in mind? The Lady says I should hook up with you for a ride, if I can crowbar time away from the office and football.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #70
skibum69
slave to gravity

No worries, I understand exactly what you're saying. As for dates I'm going to push for next year's Soiree (#3) on the island to be the long weekend in August so you might want to consider that as you plan for anyone wanting to do both. You might also look at the dates that CroMag plans for in September as that's a close one for many people in Atlantic too.

If there's anything I can help with from my experience planning my last 2, feel free to PM me.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #71
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
Gander Newfoundland here, KLR and VFR

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #72
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Maritime ADV Riders

Located in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Several ADV Riders in this area. Still got LAB dirt on th KLR to prove it.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #73
skibum69
slave to gravity

Sorry Dave, I'm out there on an '82 BMW R65LS, an '06 KTM 640 ADV and an '07 KTM 525 Rally that will soon be for sale as I'm planning to switch brands. Isn't that right Dave?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #74
Dave Noel
Giv'er

Oddometer: 690
don't think of it as switching more like expanding your fun factor.

Dave

Save $5 on a SmugMug account when you use this coupon: dSt7AIzm9VxEg
Dave Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #75
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

As far as a date goes I have a fair bit of time off from mid Apr. to Early Sept so it would be when most of us could attend.

Moving pictures the boss says you should get out for a ride and still haven't heard from you. Starting to make me wonder!