User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
evanqueen OP
Learning Contentment

Oddometer: 33
2004 Vstrom 650 advice

I am coming off a 2003 DR 650. I want to buy a Super Tenere but wont have the funds until late summer. The wee is my second choice. I am looking at a 2004 Vstrom with 13K for $3350 to get me thru the summer. I have always loved the Vstroms and have also looked at buying one for years. It has crash bars, skid plate, Givi Bag, 2 wind screens, looks nice and appears to be well taken care of. I think this is a good price. I am going to inspect the bike this week. I know to look at bad tires, leaks maintenance records etc.

Need advice on what to specifically look for on the 2004 model. Thanks in advance.
evanqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
I have a Wee and love it, but I would put the 3350 as a down payment on the S10. I'd pay no then 2500 period, not enough farkels to justify that price, what too look for is hard to say always maintenance records if he has them then maybe his price is OK, but no records 2200 no more. Tires are a biggie if it's need tires and you cant change yourself you're looking at 300 +. PS I bought my Wee for 3200 in Oct 11 with 5K miles
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
tennyis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
prices are hard to justify online, every area is very different. I paid 4200 for mine and it has more miles and it took me a long time and an end of season deal to get it for that.

as far as what to look for, V-stroms are pretty much bullet proof. People are getting 100,000 miles out of them. They have no major common concerns with that mileage, as they get older the fuel filter can cause issues in the 50k mile range.
tennyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 AM   #4
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennyis View Post
as far as what to look for, V-stroms are pretty much bullet proof. People are getting 100,000 miles out of them. They have no major common concerns with that mileage, as they get older the fuel filter can cause issues in the 50k mile range.
I paid $3800 for my '08, 5,000 miles and new tires but no farkles. Great bike 30,000 miles later no issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
With 13k it's ready for it's first valve check. Odds are that the valve clearances will be in spec. I have a 2004 and a 2006. The 2004 has about 23k and at the first valve check, which I did, all were in spec. The 06 has just under 15k and I'll do the valve check this spring. Other than changing the oil and filter regularly, just verify that the air filter has been checked and/or changed. If most of the miles were on the highway, it's probably ok too. However, if ridden off road in dusty conditions, that's an important item to verify.

I would have to think hard before selling mine at that price. V-Stroms will easily go 100k with just regular service.

I also have a Super Tenere -- it's a very capable motorcycle in a different class than the V-Strom. Depends upon what you want to use it for.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
price

price depends greatly on where you live -

in Canada, used V-Stroms go for 5-6K on a regular basis and they don't hang around too long either

2004 was a 1st year model, but the engine was a proven design so no big deal - also it is a 1 plugger, the later ones had 2 plugs per cylinder.
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
The '04's have a few things that are different than the newer models but certainly nothing to stop me from buying one, no known problems specific to that year.
As far as price goes, all that matters is that you are happy with the price, it is definitely in the ballpark with the extras it has, and personally, I rather spend a few extra dollars to get one and ride it than spend a lot of time looking for a bike because I think I can save a few hundred bucks somewhere else.
Buy it and enjoy it!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
I've got an '04 that currently has just over 40k on it. I bought it about 3 years ago for $3700 with 17k and couldn't be happier. I beat the shit out of her, and besides basic maintenance and some mods, I haven't needed to do a damn thing to her. Hell, I set the valves 10k miles ago... just for fun. They were all in spec, but I figured since I had her apart, might as well set them.

I don't know about your area, but I don't think I've seen a single Wee for less than $3k anywhere.