Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #46
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraigD View Post
Dirt = DR 650 or KLR
Dirt roads = BMW GS or Tenere
Sitting on my Ars watching bikes go past me = BMW final drive pissing on the dirt. I have enjoyed enough Euro cool-aid.
Time for 24k valve adj, dealerships every 100 miles, O and no BS. = Tenere
PS No sales man
Guess your clueless to
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #47
Podman
Rocketman

Was simply stating what MCN test comparison said. Man your a sensitive bunch. Yea I ride a BMW and yea I have a GS and yea I got some nice swamp land I can sell a few of you.

Do me a favorite--good read the article and then comment. Thought it was a pretty straight forward test review.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #48
Podman
Rocketman

Oh and here's a bike that beats the S10 hands down

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...G6tw&vq=medium

Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #49
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Thank You at least someone was smart enough to figure that out
I beg to differ. KTM is the only big bore I've had trouble running with off road.

Last ride had 4 big GS's one 800 and a Triumph 800. I could keep the KTM close
but he had me until we hit pavement.

The other bikes did fine, but I would hardly call it much of a difference. I'm still very
happy with the S10 choice.

BMW = Ego, Touratech project bike.

Tenere = Nothing to prove mile eater.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #50
pluric
Banned

Quote:

Like I said KTM orange.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #51
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:

Great video.Impressive.Thanks. You say a writer claims the GS is better on dirt than the S10. I kid you not, my GS1200 was busted SOoooo often,my trust in it was SOoo low I actually took up mountain bicycling 3 years ago. Got great mountain trails around here. Love it so much my old Suzuki dirt bike has been neglected. I been riding my Tenere on back mountain roads this fall,in snow lately, where I used to ride the GS--a lot.I absolutely love the thing. Please tell me, in what way, what particular function(s) does the GS excell at over the S10(other than volumn of warranty work)? Thanks.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 12:48 AM
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #52
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:

Your way off base and clueless
You don't seem to even know the difference between 'your' and 'you're,' and might just need to grow up a bit. Shall we cover 'are' and 'our' as well? Rating a bike from an arm chair is one thing..riding it and evaluating without fear of losing sponsorship for magazine or your job is quite another.

Take a test ride on an S10. What's the matter? Afraid you might like it?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #53
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Was simply stating what MCN test comparison said. Man your a sensitive bunch. Yea I ride a BMW and yea I have a GS and yea I got some nice swamp land I can sell a few of you.

Do me a favorite--good read the article and then comment. Thought it was a pretty straight forward test review.
It's where the review went, but that's not what your second post said. Your post was an out & out troll for trouble with the following over-simplification that was NOT connected to an article or anything else. Your entire post simply said:

Quote:
Dirt= GS
Road=Tenere
If this group seems touchy, you missed the group having gone through two flame wars. One from the GS owners and armchair crowd for months as the Yamaha buyers waited for the bike to arrive. The other between a few too vocal S10 owners with different points of view. We've seen that it's up to you as a writer about whether you get to join some of them in "banned camp" for trolling.

The growing group that's here knows the differences between GS/GSA/S10 and has seen similar articles. No doubt, there will be more "expert" articles when the Triumph comes out. Obviously, the S10 owners chose Yamaha and the vast majority seem to like the bike, despite the reviews.

More important, a number of folks are hooking up for rides together through the other forum at http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/
Kind of like how the Eastern US Connie group grew so it now has great rides with all sorts of bikes, feel free to join in.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #54
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Rating a bike from an arm chair is one thing..riding it and evaluating without fear of losing sponsorship for magazine or your job is quite another.
Not taking any sides yet as I have not read the article, hopefully my issue will be in the mailbox today however I would like to add that the US magazine Motorcycle Consumer News evaluates motorcycles with the most unbiased reviews available in my opinion. If you are not familiar with the magazine it is 100% subscriber supported and there are zero advertisements in the magazine. I'm looking forward to the review as I am personally hunting for an adventure ride and I have it slightly narrowed down to the S10, BMW GS's & Triumph Tiger 800xc. On a side note their comparo of the BMW GS 800 vs. The Triumph 800xc was very good and seemed to be done fairly.

Choosing a motorcycle is a somewhat personal choice. Getting into pissing contests about my Bike is bigger then yours really isn't productive. There is no bike that will do everything better then another bike, trade offs are always made along the line somewhere. Personally I would be happy to own any of the bikes I listed above now its just time to determine which one will suit me better and which one fits the budget............
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #55
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,653
Meh!

OldPete screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 03:26 PM Reason: deleted offending statement
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #56
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Specifics. I'd like to read detailed evaluations of why the GS is better on dirt than the Tenere. Enough of these general assertions with no backup. I had a GS & now have a Tenere & used them both on same Rocky Mountain terrain & I am continually amazed by the S10. It is no worse in any respect I can find & it's traction control is a thing of wonder.At 1st I thought traction control was more hi tech bs, but this traction control is FUNCTIONAL. And the Tenere hasn't broken yet,unlike the GS at this number of miles. Specifics, please.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #57
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
First 100 miles

Just got back from the 1st ride on my new 2012 Tenere. Only put 100 miles on it, but here we go. Great feeling bike, feels like the 2007 Tiger 1050ABS I sold 6 months ago, with better suspension and brakes. I need a bigger windshield at 6'4" I am in the wind. It feels very very solid and comfortable. Power is fantastic and I know it will just get better. I know I need to put 2000 or so miles on a bike to really feel it all out in all cond. Now I have spent most of my adult life mounted on a BMW and I keep going back time and time again hoping it will just be a little more reliable, (NOT) but they just fit me. Not sure what it is but nothing rides like a GS. I know totally different bikes trying to do the same thing.
As I told my wife this time I am committed to change. Before I put one mile on the Tenere I spent 2k on goodies to set this bike up right. I have a feeling once I fully control this bike and understand it characteristics we are going to get along great.

KraigD screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 03:00 PM
KraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #58
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraigD View Post
PS French guy judging a motorcycle. If they built one it would be like their cars, JUNK.
What a SMART comment !
FYI, I'm French and my current bike is a S10, my previous bike was a 1150GS.
Olirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #59
pluric
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olirider View Post
What a SMART comment !
Good for you. You got rid of the Germans on your own this time.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #60
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Sorry about that. Felt like it was funny at the time, Now I thought about it after the fact, now not sure. Thanks for not jumping my ars.
PS was in Gex France this summer, Great place. Great FOOD,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olirider View Post
What a SMART comment !
KraigD is offline   Reply With Quote