Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #91
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Ok RC let us get just a few things straight. First off my name is mike but yes I go by podman ( I'm a foot doc) no brainer on that one. Second, I did not declare anything and go read my posts again. MCN issue out dirt/street and how MCN saw it period. Not my opinion but MCN's opinion. Holy crap it was like I insulted the queen by some of the responses I got. I'm a "BMW salesman, a BMW rider, a child, a shithtead(I know that)". Read my profile it's there- my bike, profession and age - I really have nothing to hide. I have had lots of bikes in my 41 years of riding. I have enjoyed them, crashed them, slid them, worked on and fixed them, hated some but still have a passion for them and hope to for a few more years. Nough said.

Mike
Bull. You did declare you saw where the GS was rated better in dirt than the S10. You provided no details. I asked for some.That is all. QUESTION: I could put any octane gas in the GS & it's computor would adjust to it. What happens if you put a lower octane gas in the S10 than the premium it recommends? Lots of backcountry places have only 87 octane.Some have 85,pretty sure. Any thoughts?
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #92
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Bull. You did declare you saw where the GS was rated better in dirt than the S10. You provided no details. I asked for some.That is all. QUESTION: I could put any octane gas in the GS & it's computor would adjust to it. What happens if you put a lower octane gas in the S10 than the premium it recommends? Lots of backcountry places have only 87 octane.Some have 85,pretty sure. Any thoughts?
Speaking only from what I have tried and heard others try too. I couldn't tell any difference in performance.
No missing, stalling or any type of seat of the pants change in running.

Some suggest to carry a bottle of octane booster just in case. I run premium in everything. If I can't
get it I run the next highest octane available until the next fill up.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #93
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
QUESTION: I could put any octane gas in the GS & it's computor would adjust to it. What happens if you put a lower octane gas in the S10 than the premium it recommends? Lots of backcountry places have only 87 octane.Some have 85,pretty sure. Any thoughts?
All this talk about Iron but and low octane fuel?

Nick Sanders did the ultimate Iron Butt. SO no Problem There (One off 50,000Km, 49 Days) I am sure he probably had to use crap fuel at some point.

A few guys have gone for big Trips around Oz, Had to use Opal fuel in Central Oz, No problems. Low Octane Low Fume special Blend if you don't know what it is. The S10 works fine.

Premium is not needed, just recommended. A YAMAHA engineer on the ride for life on the release of the bike said that it was designed to survive crap fuel but if you can get the good stuff use it. Your engine will run better and cleaner.

Both the GS and S10 can run the same crap fuel and can run Iron Butts. The S10 has been running around Outback Australia, South Africa, South America etc for 2 figgin years without exploding into flames. I think people can relax now.

Maybe YAMAHA just felt that the engine didn't need the extra complication of knock sensors and designed the engine to take crap fuel from the start. Who knows, but it works OK if needed. My Strom runs the same compression ratio, has no knock sensors and will run 91 in hot weather.
Likes 95 the best but runs OK on low octane. They don't explode on crap fuel either.

By the way all octane ratings I used are RON not AKI, Can't wait for the global domination Government to at least standardize to litres RON and all the sensible measurements. There has to be an upside somewhere.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 01:54 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #94
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. Good to know. I bought some gas from a little backwoods store 3 weeks ago---out of a metal elevated tank.They used to sell it out of red plastic gas cans. Was 87 octane,they said. Most is still in the S10s tank. It ran just great all the way home.If it pinged,I couldn't hear it anyway(hearing loss). Filled it with hi octane & Stabil for the winter. That's about the only thing the GS was better for, as far I can tell, so far.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #95
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita Man View Post
That is the most awesome video I have seen EVER. Unfortunately I feel like the most inept rider of all time. I no longer want to hear your guys complaining about the lenght of travel or quality of your suspension...This guys has exactly 0.00" of travel on his and is taking 12' drops backwards!!!

I sve this to favorites...Thanks for sharing.
indeed he's one of the best in the world at what he does.
check out this mtb race

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #96
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
the new issue of Rider mag call it a tie... that settle it... ;)
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #97
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
the new issue of Rider mag call it a tie... that settle it... ;)
Nope. The Rider mag article was almost a total asphalt comparison. I'd guess we all pretty much knew both bikes would cross parking lots ok. We need a tough, in depth comparo of these bikes on DIRT. That's why I owned both brands(my beemer was a GS,not GSA) The article called the BMW a "reliable",proven bike. My GS12 was not reliable. Just wasn't . Why I have a Tenere. Love Rider mag but was diasappointed by it's 2 articles ,so far,on the Tenere.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #98
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Nope. The Rider mag article was almost a total asphalt comparison. I'd guess we all pretty much knew both bikes would cross parking lots ok. We need a tough, in depth comparo of these bikes on DIRT. That's why I owned both brands(my beemer was a GS,not GSA) The article called the BMW a "reliable",proven bike. My GS12 was not reliable. Just wasn't . Why I have a Tenere. Love Rider mag but was diasappointed by it's 2 articles ,so far,on the Tenere.
That's why I don't give much notice to magazine opinions. Short period to test it,
deadline to write the article and they ride up to somewhere for lunch and back.

I prefer honest owners who admit what strenths and weaknesses their bikes have.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #99
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Nope. The Rider mag article was almost a total asphalt comparison. We need a tough, in depth comparo of these bikes on DIRT.
There would be little interest from S10 and GS owners in a tough dirt comparison of these bikes. They are mostly used for pavement riding so the test was done on pavement. If these riders were looking for a bike that could do pavement and handle tough dirt riding, they would have bought the big KTM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #100
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
There would be little interest from S10 and GS owners in a tough dirt comparison of these bikes. They are mostly used for pavement riding so the test was done on pavement. If these riders were looking for a bike that could do pavement and handle tough dirt riding, they would have bought the big KTM.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #101
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
How do you argue with a guy that knows his target audience so well?

We didn't buy the KTM because pavement gets in the way of the dirt.
Might as well be comfortable getting to the fun part.

Is the KTM an amazing Beast?. Yes. Was it the right bike for many of us? No.

Mr. West, we didn't buy the KTM. Let it go. Find something else to talk about
on your Thursday night meetings.

pluric screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 05:40 PM
Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #102
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Pluric you still have street tires on that dirt bike, wait till you get some K60s or equivalent on there, it really transforms it into a go anywhere bike. as if your not going everywhere already.
Steve
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #103
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Pluric you still have street tires on that dirt bike, wait till you get some K60s or equivalent on there, it really transforms it into a go anywhere bike. as if your not going everywhere already.
Steve
Just trying to give the KTMs a fighting chance.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #104
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

Umm That's not Rick is it?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #105
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Umm That's not Rick is it?
Cody Y. The Grand Dragon of orange drinkers.