Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
mcfear OP
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,580
yeh yeh, have a laugh

3 guesses what happened last night.

i dont remember it at all. around a roundabout bout 11pm last night on the way home after going for a night ride over Clear Mt on brissy northside with some mates.

i know i wasnt speeding cause there were cops everywhere last night. no shit we passed about 6 cars, and at one stage we had 2 following us.

from what i have been told, we all pulled onto the roundabout, at the intersection of webster and hamilton rd's and bout halfway around it, the bikes just washed out. i dont remember this bit. i dont remember going onto the roundabout, i dont remember leaving it.

after looking at google maps, i can only guess, i was heading city bound along webster rd, and then gonna go right along hamilton rd towards gympie rd to go home.

any ideas? i know we werent speeding, the bike slid for prob 15-20m. i rolled for prob 10-15 for what im told.

i whacked my head pretty good. so the zeus is going on the shelf, my right thumb is not able to be moved, so i think i mighta bent it back or something and my big right toe is sore. so mighta kicked the ground somewhere in my horizontal tango with the blacktop.

dad reckons that the backs kicked out somehow, maybe a twist of the wrist, something on the road, i dunno and then its gone down and highsided me, i dont know.

a mate had a helmet cam running so till then we wont know for sure.

any ideas on what coulda happened? my rear tire is a contimotion and still has like 75% tread left, fronts a bit worn and is due for replacing in the next 1000kms.

pictures were taken, but i wont have access to them till the weekend i was told.

we had 2 people as pillions last night, so one jumped in a cab with me and i went back to her place to sleep on the couch and the other pillion jumped on my CB and rode it back to my mates place and its currently there in the garage.

i had a look at it this morning and theres not much damage to it really. the exhaust looks a bit nasty, scrapes and gouges but mostly on the heat sheild so its still in one piece.

my right footpeg has been bent so its facing backwards (the hero knob on the underside is facing forwards) so this means to me the bikes spun on its side or something.

the brake lever is bent, and the bar weight on the right side has been ground down a fair bit on the underside of it.

my mirror on the right hand side is no longer on the bike, its in my bag, but unbroken and the threads on both the mirror and handlebar look clean so i think its just bumped the lock nut loose, cause apparently i wound it off and put it in my bag. and then asked 5 times where it was..... i got a good knock to the head it would seem.

the draggin jeans held up great. didnt even rip the denim. i got a little bit of friction burn on my knees but thats it.

anyway, im outta things to say cause thats all i know and what i was told.

any ideas on what coulda happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Russ

Oddometer: 15,097
Glad you are mostly ok, if you are concussed and it certainly sounds like you are, go and get checked over by a doctor.
You obviously have some sort term memory loss, is or was your vision blurry?
As to what happened I have no idea unless you were a bit quick on the throttle and the back steeped out

Take it easy mcfear
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Professor Longhair
Free and easy.......

Oddometer: 812
Diesel/Oil on the roundabout? Very common unfortunately, there's a thread on here ATM about it. Sorry to hear about the spill but glad to hear you are relatively unscathed. You cant be too careful with head injuries though so keep an eye on that for a few days at least, maybe even see your Doc?

Bloody diesel on roundabouts and corners is my biggest bike nightmare (other than cheese cutter barriers!) there's just no avoiding them if you can't see them.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,403
Likely cause of a drop in a round about :
Diesel oil patch ,
Hydraulic oil patch ( Garbage trucks drop this every where they go )
Glycol spill patch .( Radiator coolant )

Seems that you either took a different line to the others or just have a tyre that reacted adversely to the conditions it faced.

I had a nasty crash about 20 years ago due to a small spill of Glycol on a bend which just happened to be where I applied the brakes due to a line of slow traffic appearing as I negotiated the bend . I hit the ground in the blink of an eye and slid up to the back of the car in front , people came from every where to assist me to get the bike up and off the road and to make sure I was able to look after myself physically and mentally . I only knew it was glycol after the crash because I went back to the impact point and saw what was on the road , a patch of green slimy liquid .

That crash cost me about a grand in repairs to my Kwaka 750 I was riding .

Your incident may have been very much the same from a cause perspective.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
mcfear OP
now known as many things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS
Glad you are mostly ok, if you are concussed and it certainly sounds like you are, go and get checked over by a doctor.
You obviously have some sort term memory loss, is or was your vision blurry?
As to what happened I have no idea unless you were a bit quick on the throttle and the back steeped out

Take it easy mcfear
yeh short term memory loss, dont remember any blurry vision, but i dont remember a fair bit of what im guessing to be an hour. i was told that after about 15 mins i got up and was walking around looking at the bike and whatnot, but i dont remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Longhair
Diesel/Oil on the roundabout? Very common unfortunately, there's a thread on here ATM about it. Sorry to hear about the spill but glad to hear you are relatively unscathed. You cant be too careful with head injuries though so keep an eye on that for a few days at least, maybe even see your Doc?

Bloody diesel on roundabouts and corners is my biggest bike nightmare (other than cheese cutter barriers!) there's just no avoiding them if you can't see them.

Cheers
coulda been something on the roundabout, but i dont understand why i was the only one to hit it if there was.

at least the last time a mate crashed, we were on mt glorious heading to samford. bout 3 turns into the samford rd, its a semi sharp left hander, bout 40km/h marked slightly offcamber too.

i was 3rd bike from the front, and the backs just locked up when i downchanged, and then wouldnt come back in. back ends kicked out, was lock to lock with the back wheel sliding, across the centre line, and pulled it in about half a meter from the guard rail, thought i had stuffed something up for that to happen but kept going. get to the bottom and see my phone light up in the tank bag.

my mate who rode the CB home last night had come off. same corner. same symptoms but his front also let go. he was on a hyosung Gt650R so heavier bike. musta been a slight film of something on the rd cause one of the other guys there (we had about 20 bikes turnout that night) he had a flat from having his light and hazards on for a while. so we bump started him down the hill. when he popped the clutch to roll start it he slid for prob 5 m before the wheel grabbed enough to start the bike.

i dunno. tis a bit shit really.

coulda been worse. coulda been much worse.

going soon with mum and dad to pick up a new lever and bar weight and then we are dropping dad off and he's riding the CB home.

im having the day off work, and getting better cause i gotta be out at queensland raceway tomorrow and sunday to marshal for the superbikes. so sat and sun are gonna be jampacked so need to be better.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
yeah mate a spill of some sort or you just can't ride, i'd go for the first one

I hit a patch of diesel in a roundabout in London and I was flogging it, went into the round about and slipped about a meter to the left in a nanosecond, luckily the bike grabbed again and I made the round about unscathed, scared the absolute shit out of me!!
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,225
No holding of penis with throttle hand involved?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
upsidedowngreg
Gravel Surfer

Oddometer: 173
I'll second what the others said about diesel. Its happened to me before on roundabouts with similar results.

I'll emphasise what SYDADVGS said about seeing a doctor. Any head injury can be potentially fatal, even if you think you are okay, and even a few days later. GO TO A DOCTOR.

I was young once and bullet proof too but even minor head injuries are not to be messed with. Ideally you should have been carted off to hospital last night for a checkup. Hope you keep getting better and get the bike back on the road soon - oh and did I mention GO TO A DOCTOR...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
mcfear OP
now known as many things

yeh gonna see a doc today. mum is driving me and dad up to brissy so dad can ride the bike back down, we are stopping in at the bike shop to get a brake lever and bar weights, and gonna see a doc to get my noggin checked.

i dont like being 18, but i like living so would like to see past 18. plus my 19th is in less then 2 weeks away so want to see that party

Quote:
Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Good to hear youre still around to tell the tale.

As mentioned, don't mess about with head injuries, especially if you don't have a clear memory of the events around it. Take your damaged helmet to the Doc so he can see the impact.

Also agree with there probably being slippery shit on the roundabout that was impossible to see. If its slightly damp its even slippery-er... I never trust the surface in a roundabout.

A very small patch of damp diesel brought me undone some years ago. One second youre riding, the next youre on your arse and sliding. Some time after that "WTF???" enters your head.

Take it very easy for a while.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
Jingellic86
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Hey there McFear,
I'm with the others, glad to see you are going to see a doctor. I enjoy reading all your comments on the forum and want to continue seeing them.
Take care and glad to see that in was not serious.
Cheers,
Jingellic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Professor Longhair
Free and easy.......

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
No holding of penis with throttle hand involved?
?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
Rick001
Never too old

Oddometer: 610
Don't fret about the memory loss. I had a bad prang a few years ago (a week in hospital & 6 weeks off work) and to this day, still don't remember what happened. I stressed out for months worring about not being able to remember. Doc told me its not uncommon for the body to get a huge jolt and the memory wipes the last little bit. Bit like loosing power to the computer and you haven't saved the last few lines in the word doc you are working on. When you open it up, it has everything but those last couple of lines. Brain didn't have time to "save" the last bit of info when it shut down for a second.
Glad your OK. Much damage to the bike. (need pics )

Definatly see a doctor for any kind of head trauma.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
mcfear OP
now known as many things

just got back from the doc,

he just said to keep an eye on it. if i feel nauseus or anything to go in and get my head scanned.

got a new lever some shiny new gold bar weights. 55 bucks for the lot from team homo honda at slacks crk.

there were multiple pics taken but i wont have access to them for a little while. either tonight or over the weekend or something.

could possibly be video too if my mates helmet cam picked anything up.
will take some pictures of the bike this arvo once dad gets back.
we drove dad in so he could ride it back and mum dropped me at the bike shop to get some parts and that was over 2 hrs ago.

dads a farrider and i made the mistake of mentioning it has a full tank of fuel.....

once he gets back i gotta put the new lever and bar weights on cause i have to be at queensland raceway tomorrow morn at 7 cause im marshalling, so thats gonna be a fun wake up tomorrow morn. will have to leave tamborine at 6 i would hazard a guess

Quote:
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,842
oops!

morning matey ... you must be sporting more scar tissue than the circumcision waste bin at Chermside Hospital by now lad?

heal fast mate... the memory will come back soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 11:24 PM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote