User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
andoulli OP
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Custom Airhead

Saw this on FleaBay and thought it was really well done. Clearly a parts bin restoration of sorts but the finished project has almost a factory look if you overlook the mix and match construction.

andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
andoulli OP
CAJUN

This is a one of a kind BMW airhead.

This BMW is built on a 1986 BMW R65 (big) frame with a singe sided swing arm. This frame has a frame brace plate installed at the steering head and polished frame braces were installed for stability. The bike engine, transmission, and rear drive have been completely torn down and rebuilt. The crankcase, transmission, and cylinder components have been glass beaded and look like they are brand new.

The motor is a totally rebuilt high performance BMW R100 motor. The crankshaft was removed, cleaned, inspected, and re-installed. The lower end was rebuilt using stock components. The cylinders have been professionally milled, cc'ed, ported and polished for better flow and higher compression. The cylinder heads were dual plugged for better performance. It has OEM BMW factory racing 336 degree cams installed with new lifters, valve springs, and stainless steel pushrod tubes, all set to BMW specifications. A factory BMW oil cooler was installed at the same time. During the rebuild, OEM gaskets and seals were used. The electronic ignition system is stock but has Accel super coils and NGK solid core racing wires installed. The carburetors are 38mm flat slide Mikuni's with a modified air box. They have been dialed in perfectly. A 2 into 1 Supertrapp pipe was installed that has been hot jet coated with all new packing and hardware. This bike sounds incredible and it runs like a top.

The transmission was also removed, opened, cleaned, glass beaded, and rebuilt. It features a factory BMW racing close ration gear set modified for greater durability and better shifting.

The suspension has all been upgraded with an Ohlins rear monoshock that provides a nice smooth ride and great handling. The front setup is RaceTec front fork springs and cartridge fork emulators as well as an upper fork brace for added stability. You can definitely feel the difference in handling.

The bike has a new beautiful gloss black paint job. The handlebars, frame, swingarm, center stand, and engine covers were all professionally powder coated and the bike was re-assembled with stainless steel hardware.

Other components include a BMW R90S front cowl with a dark smoke zero gravity windscreen and the factory BMW Voltmeter and aftermarket oil temp gauge installed. It also has a factory 1st generation BMW 3/4 solo seat cowl with newly re-covered Corbin seat insert installed. A fresh set of Metzeler Lasertecs, Spiegler brake lines, and braking systems floating rotors and pads were all added as well.

The bike has had only 1200 miles put on it since the restoration was completed. There is not a scratch on it and it looks brand new. There are no drivability issues, and this is a very easy bike to drive.

This bike comes with its original owners manual and keys.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,472
Congratulations on pulling off a VERY sweet looking custom!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
nycs10011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Man I was salivating over this one too. Almost did something stupid and went for it.
nycs10011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
What is the ebay item number?
Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
andoulli OP
CAJUN

Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,263
Very nice air head. Interesting to see what it goes for on Ebay since it is hard to put a value on a custom like this. I imagine it has quite a bit of money and time in it that will not be recovered?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Looks great, I like it, but some things are fluffed up a bit and some missing info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli
The cylinders have been professionally milled, cc'ed, ported and polished for better flow and higher compression. The cylinder heads were dual plugged for better performance. It has OEM BMW factory racing 336 degree cams installed with new lifters, valve springs, and stainless steel pushrod tubes, all set to BMW specifications.
The cylinders have been shortened for better compression? What's the compression and how is it set to BMW specifications?

Dual plugging does not always help, it depends on the shape of the combustion chamber, this looks like a later motor (could be different heads) so it probably doesn't help. The stainless pushrod tubes are nice, they tend to rust otherwise.
Quote:
A factory BMW oil cooler was installed at the same time. During the rebuild, OEM gaskets and seals were used. The electronic ignition system is stock but has Accel super coils and NGK solid core racing wires installed.
Hope they have the right resistance for the electronic ignition.
Quote:
The transmission was also removed, opened, cleaned, glass beaded, and rebuilt. It features a factory BMW racing close ration gear set modified for greater durability and better shifting.
But is it practical for the street?
Quote:
The bike has had only 1200 miles put on it since the restoration was completed. There is not a scratch on it and it looks brand new. There are no drivability issues, and this is a very easy bike to drive.
Who the hell drives a motorcycle?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
IT's on its second go round on Flebay, I guess $6500.00 wasn't enough last time.
It's nice but not THAT nice.
Can't wait to get this listed when it's done, I can even post build pics in the auction listing!
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 11:17 PM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
I can easily imagine the amount of time and $$$$ spent in building that bike, because mine has cost a fortune, even after I subtracted the money that I made selling off parts from the donor bikes.

That said, I think that $6500 is about the top of the market for a bike like that and if you bought it for that price, you'd be ginning a real bargain.

The only thing that bothers me about the bike is the close ratio gearbox. I know that they're rare and expensive and all that but I can't imagine they it'd be much fun fighting you way through rush hour or holiday traffic on a bike set up with one. What a PIA....

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
What would a close ratio box be worth? I never see them, so imagine it would be easy to sell - for a LOT. Seems easy enough to replace it with standard gearing.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Can't wait to get this listed when it's done, I can even post build pics in the auction listing!
Robert
And that beast looks even better in Person!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
IBGONE
Old, slow, and happy

Oddometer: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper ST4
Looks great, I like it, but some things are fluffed up a bit and some missing info.

The cylinders have been shortened for better compression? What's the compression and how is it set to BMW specifications?

Dual plugging does not always help, it depends on the shape of the combustion chamber, this looks like a later motor (could be different heads) so it probably doesn't help. The stainless pushrod tubes are nice, they tend to rust otherwise.
Hope they have the right resistance for the electronic ignition.
But is it practical for the street?
Who the hell drives a motorcycle?

Oh, c'mon, cut it out; you're just way too much fun. were you born this way, or did something terrible happen to you in your youth?

There are no demons inside my helmet; just the magic of the Universe sliding past my every sense.
Me.
IBGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBGONE
Oh, c'mon, cut it out; you're just way too much fun. were you born this way, or did something terrible happen to you in your youth?
We can't all be fun a holes like yourself. Sounds like you have the gift.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
The 'close ration' (sic) gearbox ratios are shown on my gearing page. It's probably a pretty tall starting gear and then they're pretty close. 4th and 5th are the same as before. It wouldn't be my choice for a street bike.

Sorry, but the Corbin seat is just fugly. Hopefully the original is included.

Otherwise, looks like a fun bike. But it looks like it was built to sell, which just turns me off a bit. For instance, I wouldn't have chosen that seat or the Supercrapps, so why choose them for me?