Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
One other thing you might want to check for leaks with your coolant system is your oil cooler next to your oil filter up front. there is an in and out hose that comes from your coolant hose. I had an issue with one of the hoses and o ring seals.

better safe than sorry. I got one of the first '08s (650 twin) and i seem to get lots of the problems before they show up as a notice or a recall.

cheers,
Mark
Old 06-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
no leaks. oh wait.....i do have a leak but its the valve cover . thats another thread...lol.

Anyone know if the reservoir has an overflow or does it just shot out the pinhole of the reservoir cap?
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
no leaks. oh wait.....i do have a leak but its the valve cover . thats another thread...lol.

Anyone know if the reservoir has an overflow or does it just shot out the pinhole of the reservoir cap?
I don't know where the overflow is, but there will be one. Worst case, the reservoir cap will pop off, but the water in the reservoir shouldn't be that hot and the reservoir cap is a dust seal, nothing more.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

help again!

ok. went for a spirited ride this morning. all seemed ok til i pulled in the carport. coolant leaking from an oil cooling line below the water pump. Looks like the hose has pulled away a fair bit enough to leak all over the carport. This hose was not this way last night when i topped off and checked all hoses. could the system have too much pressure now to push off the hose clamp like that? All i did was to top off the radiator and fill the reservoir to the max line. what next to do? help!! Closest dealer is 200 miles away!!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
No, the radiator should be full to the very top. Something is up. Can you post a picture of which hose or line?
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #21
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
No, the radiator should be full to the very top. Something is up. Can you post a picture of which hose or line?
yes. Ill get one right quick. thanks joel.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #22
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
ok. went for a spirited ride this morning. all seemed ok til i pulled in the carport. coolant leaking from an oil cooling line below the water pump. Looks like the hose has pulled away a fair bit enough to leak all over the carport. This hose was not this way last night when i topped off and checked all hoses. could the system have too much pressure now to push off the hose clamp like that? All i did was to top off the radiator and fill the reservoir to the max line. what next to do? help!! Closest dealer is 200 miles away!!!!

read my post at the start of this page. sounds like the same problem. it should be fine as long as it's not dripping too fast and just keep it topped up til you get it to the dealership. have them order both hoses and seal ahead of time.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

this is the best i could do with a 6 year old camera. The hose in question is directly below the nipple where the recalled coolant hose goes into the water pump. Sorry about not knowing technical terms. You can see the lightish area where the hose was and has slipped down of the nipple. especially on the first pic.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #24
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
read my post at the start of this page. sounds like the same problem. it should be fine as long as it's not dripping too fast and just keep it topped up til you get it to the dealership. have them order both hoses and seal ahead of time.
i did read yours and appeared to me that is was a problem with the line coming directly from the oil cooler? if i misunderstood im sorry. i know your trying to be helpful. my issue was dripping rather briskly and the hose slipped down off the nipple just like the coolant hose did before the recall. odd to have happened just now when i try and fix something myself as simple as adding antifreeze.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i did read yours and appeared to me that is was a problem with the line coming directly from the oil cooler? if i misunderstood im sorry. i know your trying to be helpful. my issue was dripping rather briskly and the hose slipped down off the nipple just like the coolant hose did before the recall. odd to have happened just now when i try and fix something myself as simple as adding antifreeze.
sometimes one problem will happen right after a previous fix. probably from re-pressuring the system.

I've had 2 oil leak problems and 2 coolant leak problems. It's good to keep an eye on these posts cuz you can see what others are dealing with and keep an eye out for it on your own machine.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
sometimes one problem will happen right after a previous fix. probably from re-pressuring the system.

I've had 2 oil leak problems and 2 coolant leak problems. It's good to keep an eye on these posts cuz you can see what others are dealing with and keep an eye out for it on your own machine.
was your leak same as mine above?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #27
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
was your leak same as mine above?
I had that hose replaced but the issue was really at the point where it attached to the oil cooler up front... I just wonder if those smaller hoses are able to deal with the pressure.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #28
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I had that hose replaced but the issue was really at the point where it attached to the oil cooler up front... I just wonder if those smaller hoses are able to deal with the pressure.
got the hose pushed back up in place. I cant get the spring clamp back in place as usual so off to the auto store for worm gear clamp. the frame is right in the way. I'm not sure how i managed to even get the clamp off in the first place!! very difficult area to work.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #29
BMWHillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

got it fixed i hope. worm gear clamp and ran it a bit in the carport til it pressurized. all seems good but it did last night too before i rode it today...lol. im riding to work tomorrow so hopefully that will let me know if its good to go. 25 miles interstate @ 75mph to work should be a good test. wish me luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

should work.... fingers crossed