Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
Scooterholic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Sorry to bring up a old thread but I wanted to add mine to it. 2001 Katana 600 I've had her a week now and I have to say I love this bike. Much better riding position, I feel like I could stay on this bike all day. Can anybody tell me what the small light above the headlights is for.

2001 Suzuki Katana 600
1992 Kawasaki ZX7 ( in bike coma )
2007 Honda Reflex
Scooterholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
Noreaster
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,395
My 2002. I actually bought it for my GF at the time. It was to be her first bike but it scared the shite out of her so I rode it for a while before selling it to a good friend of mine for very, very cheep money for all that he had done for me. He in turn sent it off to it's (presumed) death at the hands of some teenaged squid.. I had a BUNCH of pictures of this bike but the computer crashed, blah, blah, blah....

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
2005 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #48
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterholic View Post
Sorry to bring up a old thread but I wanted to add mine to it. 2001 Katana 600 I've had her a week now and I have to say I love this bike. Much better riding position, I feel like I could stay on this bike all day. Can anybody tell me what the small light above the headlights is for.
Nice bike, it's actually on my list of next bikes! As for the light above the headlights, I believe maybe it's a parking light? I did a quick search over on katriders to be sure.
Tony

TonyKZ1 screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 08:29 AM
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #49
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Its a regulation in Europe and elsewhere where a motorcycle has multiple headlights to have the third light, notionally so that it can be distinguished from a car at much longer distances.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterholic View Post

Don't forget to add your action shots from yesterdays lake ride.
Bill (Gem STate ST)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #51
JimStl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
'92 Katana 600 was the first bike that I owned, drove it from Arizona to San Diego almost every weekend for about a year. I had fun on it, I'm 6'7" and it was even sort of comfortable! :O)
JimStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #52
Scooterholic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Hi Bill , Thanks for the info on the 3rd light guys. Heres my action shot Bill.

2001 Suzuki Katana 600
1992 Kawasaki ZX7 ( in bike coma )
2007 Honda Reflex
Scooterholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #53
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkami View Post
What do you like about riding your motorcycle?

The katana is a sport touring pig with a nice engine. If you want better highway capabilities, it's a great bike. If you like appreciate the handling of your 250, you'll hate the katana in stock form.

Maintenance is cake, btw.
I'm also interested in the Katanas and I'm currently riding a Ninja 250, like O-man21. I like my bike for the acceleration, the excellent handling, and the 60+ mpg, but would like a little more performance for the rural highways and more electric power for heated gear during the winter time. It sounds like the Katana would do fine if not at least better for some of that except maybe for the gas mileage including carrying another person when needed?

I wonder how noticeable is the weight at least compared to my current Ninja 250. I also do most of my own maintenance so I was also wondering about that, how easy it is, etc. I'm also a member over the katriders.com and have found a lot of info there on these bikes too.
Thanks, Tony

TonyKZ1 screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:03 AM
TonyKZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #54
FootDoc
Gas it

Oddometer: 104
My first street bike, 1998 Katana with my buddy Mike on his ('94?) Honda 1000. Lots of good memories, never left me stranded. Sold it to a guy named "Tron" Off craigslist.
FootDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #55
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,034
Had a GS650 Katana many years ago. My first "big bike" and absolutely loved it.
A very under-rated machine, being an under bored 750 with shaft drive it was an absolutely bulletproof lump. The huge tank was usefull too.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL

Andylaser screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 05:36 AM
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #56
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I've got a Katana 750 I've been working on that's mostly ready to go on the road. I shall have to post some pictures soon. My first street bike and the first bike I've had over one cylinder So far, from riding up and down the street and a brief stint on the road when it wasn't running really well, it's a lot of fun. Not looking forward to paying for insurance on it though, it's in the next bracket up from my DRZ400 :\ Wish they would hurry up and get transferable plates here in BC.

I'm always kinda confused when people say it's really slow. I mean it's likely to beat pretty much every cage you're gonna meet on the road, including a good deal of the sportier ones and it feels pretty fast to me (again coming from single cylinder dual sports :P)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #57
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,999
The 82s were 1000s the 83s were 1100s
baloneyskin daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #58
Moto_Geek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
95 Katana

I know it's not popular to revive an old thread... sorry... but this is the only thread I could find dedicated to the Katana. I just recently acquired a 1995 Katana 600 from a friend in California (I live in Montana). I'm 6'1", 250lbs. Wondering what you guys think of the ergonomics? Hard on your arms/shoulders/back? The main reason I ask is that I'm considering riding the bike home, about 1200 miles. I would split this up into three 400 mile days. I've ridden plenty of cruisers and "standard" type bikes, as well as dirt bikes. This will be my first "sport" style bike, just couldn't pass it up at the price (basically free)... 10,000 miles on the bike, getting it from the second owner who bought it for his wife and she was too scared of a "sportsbike" to ride it. I'm getting the bike checked out at the local shop near his house for peace of mind, and having a new set of tires put on it...

Moto_Geek

Moto_Geek screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:46 AM
Moto_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like fun! Have you been to the Cycle Ergo Site yet? You can look up the Katana and see how it compares to other bikes you may have ridden. It should be fine, not as hard on your neck, back, wrists, etc.. as a "lay on the tank" sport bike.
Tony
Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #60
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
400 mile days on a Kat should be easy peasy provided you aren't unusually tall or ummmm how shall we say, round?

Excellent bike, you won't regret it!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote