Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Safari Dreaming

Hi all,

Im starting this thread to reccord the build up of my DRZ400e into a "rallye" bike suitable to compete in the 2011 Australasian Safari.

I'd love to do the 2010 Safari but time/money and a distinct lack of fitness are currently holding me back, this is going to be a fairly slow build as the deadline for completion is July 2011.

Being a poor country pleb i'll be making as much gear as possible not only to try and save money but mainly because i like making things. I also like the idea of being able to make multiple copy's of some of the kit required to build a rally bike so that if any other NZ'ers want to do the safari (or just build a cool adv bike) i'll be able to help out.

From the start:

I'd better start off with how i got to this point. I helped 'javahead' build his 530ktm safari bike prior to the 2009 safari and followed him over to help out as suport crew for him and the rest of the "KiwiSafariTeam"

Following the 09 Safari i came home and built my 640e into a mock rally bike for the DB1k10 (dusty butt 100km 2010 adv ride),

For this i also built a "nav tower" and my own design of a full electric roadbook, which evidently worked like a charm during the ride.

After much soul searching i sold the mighty 640 earlier this year and bought a DRZ400e (thanks crazyfrog), and started my preperations for the 2011 safari propper. This meant i could start riding in local XC's and doing some slightly more adventurous rides than the KTM would normally allow, it also meant that i could start making a new nav tower and associated bits and peices.
Which brings us to today, the first fitting of my new nav tower.

Protype mounting bracket.

Tower fitted.

View from the seat.

With copy of meca systems fairing on bike.

Anyway that'll do for tonight, dinner calls.

GO BRO GO.......
topo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119
this'll be a goodun...
Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Go bro go!!! Been hanging out for this thread for a while.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
About time...

CrazyFrog's DRZ?

You'll want to mod the seat

A sheepy wasn't enough for the Dusty.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A few steps back,

After making my tower for the old 640 by hand out of 2.5mm alloy i decided to get this one laser cut out of 3mm alloy. This not only makes it a bit stronger by being thicker but also means that i can get spares cut out at a reasonable cost with a very high degree of accuracy. Here's the first batch, it includes the tower,RB holder plate and brackets and all the sides for a new alloy version of my homebuilt roadbook.

I also cut out a mounting plate for a MD roadbook just in case my own design doesnt work as well as i hope.

Here's the finished result, i had a few issues getting the folds in the RB holder tight enough so ended up using a 2mm cutting disk on the angle grinder to make relief cuts to make the folds tighter, this meant i had to get these welded up too. looks ok now but will have another go once i get all of the bugs worked out, the little holes on the sides are just pilot holes for tapping threads/mounting gear.

This pretty much leaves it where the im at now, i've removed the tower so i can make a few adjustments to the mounting system and so i can put the bike back into XC trim for the next nelson XC (rnd3) in a few weeks.

I've got a new gasket set turning up this week as the head gasket failed after the last XC (taking it swimming probably didn't help matters), the positive to come out of it is the piston/cylinder are in great condition with only a little carbon build up on the ex valves, there's no warpage in the head so hopefully just fitting a new base and head gasket will get me back up and runnung

GO BRO GO.......
Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
About time...

CrazyFrog's DRZ?

You'll want to mod the seat

A sheepy wasn't enough for the Dusty.
Not sure about the seat yet, it feels as good as the 604e's so far and that seemed ok for the DB1K last year after 16hr on the go - mind you i reckon i was standing for bout 11-12 of those hrs. can't wait for this years one.

GO BRO GO.......
Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,453
Looking Good Topo. Bash plate with water container & bigger tank/s to come?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Looking Good Topo. Bash plate with water container & bigger tank/s to come?
Thats the plan. been mucking around this arvo with different tank layouts, at this stage i'm probably going to go with an aqualine 17ltr front tank and a custom alloy rear tank on the right side.
This requires mounting the exhaust below the tank but will keep the weight down lower.

Water will go on the bash plate, which i'll get onto in a week or two.

GO BRO GO.......
Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,936
any Kiwi's coming over for 2010 Safari ???

our resident Kiwi Jaybo seems to have decided that the Emirites need his tourist $$$ more than regional WA so is going to be a no show it seems

pity cause the tally is 1:1 orange vs blue/yellow so far for '08 & '09 Safari's, thought 2010 might be the deceider
Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by topo
Not sure about the seat yet, it feels as good as the 604e's so far and that seemed ok for the DB1K last year after 16hr on the go - mind you i reckon i was standing for bout 11-12 of those hrs. can't wait for this years one.
Is writing up any of those ideas of yours re the DB1k floating to the top of the to do list

One comment about the nav tower - how confident are you that the top mount will resist the rotation/sideways movement forces. Bottom mount probably wont provide any resistance me thinks. Do you need too/could you run a couple of straps to the sides/back of the headset. Maybe use the steering lock protrusion some how?

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I haven't heard of any kiwi's going over this year, 2011 is the one Javahead and i are aiming for due to time/money/famly..............

I'm talking with another kiwi guy who's keen if his sponsors can help out, but thats a big maybe at this stage.

Any news about you dakar bike Gary? will you be riding it in the safari or building another one?

GO BRO GO.......
Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr
Is writing up any of those ideas of yours re the DB1k floating to the top of the to do list

One comment about the nav tower - how confident are you that the top mount will resist the rotation/sideways movement forces. Bottom mount probably wont provide any resistance me thinks. Do you need too/could you run a couple of straps to the sides/back of the headset. Maybe use the steering lock protrusion some how?

Will get onto the DB1k route ideas tomorrow, have you ever thought of a different start/finish point?

Thinking about the tower mount, i'll probably revise it by making the top clamp as wide as possible to make it more secure. being made of steel i think it should hold up ok - will put it to the test soon enough.

GO BRO GO.......
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
will be following this with interest.

Just curious why you chose a drz and not something like a wr/crf?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
topo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S

A couple of reasons really, firstly i needed to get a lighter bike (still able to be riden on the road if req) than my old 640e for doing XC's and trailrides to get my skill levels up, and secondly they have a proven record of finishing the safari - not the fastest bike out there but will still sit on 130-140ish all day and capable of a top 20 finish if ridden well

GO BRO GO.......
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Great to see you've started down the path topo. Hopefully I'll manage the Safari next year, depending on how I go with the DC in March 2011 and what I decide to do after that. Either way, I'm sure I'll do whatever I can to help you guys out. I already have javahead's sleeping bag and a 3/8" extension bar here for you .

Have you used stabiliser type arms to go around the steering head to support lateral forces on the fairing and nav tower? The clamp around the top of the steering head looks a little "light". I like the lighter look of the headlight mountings. That front section of the Mecasystem set-up is outrageous - like a roobar on a roadtrain! (That's a bullbar on a B-Train to you Kiwis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
any Kiwi's coming over for 2010 Safari ???

our resident Kiwi Jaybo seems to have decided that the Emirites need his tourist $$$ more than regional WA so is going to be a no show it seems

pity cause the tally is 1:1 orange vs blue/yellow so far for '08 & '09 Safari's, thought 2010 might be the deceider
Heh heh. You see it as 1:1 eh? I see me and my Orange finished 2oo2. You and blue/yellow was what ... hmmm ... 0oo2? (I don't count the engine blowup / rebuild / restart thing). I have nothing left to prove (except maybe top ten capability)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S

I reckon the WR 450 or a DRZ are almost ideal bikes for the Safari. Of those two, the WR if you have a bigger budget and the DRZ for a smaller budget. The DRZ is proven and the longer stroke motors seem to hold up better in the long run. The DRZs do need a bit of suspension work for the extra weight of Safari trim, whereas the WR might be okay with standard sproingy bits.
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote