Thanks.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
SBloke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38

I want one.... bullet-proof-ness of a K75 with the looks of a GS.
All it needs is a supertrapp and some nice luggage
SBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #18
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,598
I haven't ridden a K75, but wonder how well the little motor, which isn't know for gobs of power would do off road.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #19
SBloke
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
I haven't ridden a K75, but wonder how well the little motor, which isn't know for gobs of power would do off road.
I think it would be a bit on the heavy side but other than that it'll just keep going. Just make sure to have a good skidplate, the front of the engine seems a bit delicate here and there.

I might just have to give it a go and find out if I can build something like this. But first, deciding between either a K, or an R is tough enough

K75s seems the best bang for my bucks, but less fun than an R. How you guys ever choose between them is beyond me.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #20
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBloke
K75s seems the best bang for my bucks, but less fun than an R. How you guys ever choose between them is beyond me.

Easy to choose. My head tells me that a K75 would be sensible, a K75S even more so. My heart won't have a bar of it . . .

"Don't worry, it's not loaded."
last words of Chicago's Terry Kath before shooting himself in 1978
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #21
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
Actually, it is quite a powerful motor. Depends on what you're comparing it with.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #22
SBloke
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtwurm
Actually, it is quite a powerful motor. Depends on what you're comparing it with.
For the sake of argument:

K75s:
Max Power: 75 hp 54.7 kW @ 8500 rpm (rear tyre 70. hp @ 8500 rpm)
Max Torque: 68 Nm @ 6750 rpm

R80/7
Max Power: 50 hp 36.4 kW @ 6500 rpm
Max Torque: 58 Nm @ 4000 rpm

R100:
Max Power: 66.6 hp 48.8 kW @ 7000 rpm
Max Torque: 72 Nm @ 5500 rpm

Seems very capable although you really need to rev it for torque
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
I don't think that theres much doubt that for light touring, even two-up, the K-75 is the winner.

That engine will easily run for 250K+ miles with only normal maintenance, the prices are actually going up, here on the Left Coast, as more and more riders discover how great they are, good examples can be had with a little searching and they're good looking bikes. Always were and always will be!

The only thing thats an issue is that the K's carry their weight a bit high and need to be kept balanced at low speeds and when parking or rolling them around the garage.

The K-100s are even more top heavy and those can be a real problem for older riders or short guys but I can't think of anything else that you can purchase in good condition for $2000 and then use to haul a passenger and a loaded camping trailer for long distances, without complaint or excessive maintenance woes.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Airhead but I'm looking closely at the idea of selling my RS and buying a K75S!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 976
Go K75S go!

Well put, mmsok!

Here's a pic of mine for further inspiration :

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #25
SBloke
Adventurer

Ah, I've been drooling over that one a while already.

It's so damn hard to choose between these wonderful machines. Every time I hear an R I'm sold, but then I think of the benefits of a K and the rollercoaster starts again.

R100 with supertrapp.... but
Old 06-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #26
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Well, heres the thing....

The bikes are so completely different that you're simply going to have to make up your own mind and choose one or the other.

Both bikes have good points and bad points, both bikes have strengths and weaknesses and each bike will deliver a somewhat different riding experience.

An Airhead demands a very real commitment from the rider to understand how the bike works and to pay attention and provide service when necessary. Valve adjustments, regular lubrication, electrical system maintenance, etc.

The little K-Bike still needs the input shaft lubed and the small stuff looked at but it won't need nearly as much mechanical attention and for that reason, won't pay the owner back with the same feeling of having bonded with the bike and really "owning" it.

In other words, Lots of guys like and care for their K-bikes (I've seen some very very pretty ones!) but a huge number of us are in LOVE with our Airheads. We give them names, we keep then for decades at a time, rebuild them multiple times, repaint them with custom paint, SS fasteners and add period after-market parts and then ride em Coast-to-coast and everywhere else trying to wear em out.

To make a good choice, you're going to have quit asking us and go look at a some bikes, ride a few and then think about what kind of person you are. After that, the decision will be easy!

PS Zagando:

I really like your bike!!

I had completely forgotten about your thread over on the MOA site but I'm really happy that your project turned out so well. I've always liked the yellow K75s best of all but your bike looks so... so... BITCHIN!

As I said, nice job!

MM

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-08-2010 at 04:56 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I've looked at both for a while but decided that I preferred the relative simplicity (air cooled, carbs, almost no electronics) of the R bikes. I like to do my own maintenance and repairs and so far, that hasn't been an issue with my '83 R100RT. As others have mentioned they do require more maintenance but for me, that's a good thing. Very therapeutic....

Good luck with your search.
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardak
I've looked at both for a while but decided that I preferred the relative simplicity (air cooled, carbs, almost no electronics) of the R bikes. I like to do my own maintenance and repairs and so far, that hasn't been an issue with my '83 R100RT. As others have mentioned they do require more maintenance but for me, that's a good thing. Very therapeutic....

Good luck with your search.
I have owned both, K's and R's. In fact have a couple of boxers right now. I would buy a K75 again, As Mindsock notes we love our old airheads, but are affectionate with our K's. Sure the feelin' is different for a bike such as the K. Still....what a sweet bike it is!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #29
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz
This is my friend's '85 K100 (w/R-RS fairing)...bike just turned 200,000 miles. He has many bikes but prefers this one for trips. His K has been very dependable.
That's a great looking bike.

Think it's been said, but a well cared for K75 would be an excellent all-rounder. Smooth, comfortable, efficient, plenty fast and bomb-proof.

I'd look for one with decent aftermarket suspension, Corbin seat and good luggage.

I owned a K100RT for a season many years ago and while I enjoyed the motor, ergonomics and chassis stability, I hated the seat, suspension and heat captured by the fairing. A K100RS might have been a better choice? Either way, a decent seat and suspension's in order.

imho, fwiw, ymmv,
Lornce
Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 AM   #30
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce

I owned a K100RT for a season many years ago and while I enjoyed the motor, ergonomics and chassis stability, I hated the seat, suspension and heat captured by the fairing. A K100RS might have been a better choice? Either way, a decent seat and suspension's in order.

imho, fwiw, ymmv,
Lornce
Yes, I had my K100RS flyin through the Southwestern deserts in midsummer and although it got hot enough to boil the gas in my tank at one time (Jerome,AZ summer of '86) the heat from the bike itself never really was a problem) the RTs correspond to that old German term "der riederbakers."

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote