User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
mrcolin2u OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
First post for me..hello !

I have been looking at BMW GS models for a long time and finally have decided to go for it.
I haven't ridden a motorbike in 25yrs so I wlll be taking a weekend riding safety course before I go for my motorcycle test at the DMV.

I have my heart set on a F800GS and wondered if anyone else here on the forum has one as a first bike, because it has been so long for me it will be like my first.

Also, I have never bought a new bike before, can you wheel and deal like buying a car ?
I saw a 30yr anniversary model today at a dealers and it looked awesome, I would love to own that bike.

Anyway, thanks to all, in advance for any feedback to this thread..
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Welcome, and good thinking about taking the riding course. As far as the F800GS being a good bike to start over on I am not so sure. It's well mannered, balanced, but it's also very tall, heavy for being so tall, and it has plenty of power which can be good or bad depending on how it is used.

Guess hearing more about what you intend on doing on the bike would help as well as how you would "rate" yourself athletically and your comfort level with motorcycles in general. More info will help.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
First, welcome to the asylum

Even if you stopped riding for a long periode of time , you'll probably pick it back up in no time. The 800 ( I have the 650 but kinda the same) probably would be intimidating for someone who never rode a bike before. I stopped riding for 10 years before I bought mine and after a few days things started to feel natural again. It's like riding a bike .... you never really forget.

It's a great bike , you'll love it!

In my case there wasn't much dealing possible . But you can surely try, even more so if you have a few BMW dealers near you....

Good luck and make sure to post pics when you get it.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W

giodog2000 screwed with this post 06-07-2010 at 05:34 PM
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Welcome! Good idea on the safety course, I did the same thing and it was really great. I started riding in November '09 with no prior experience and I bought a used '09 F650GS. It was a handful in the very beginning, but after a few weeks I was very confident and infinitely glad I didn't start out with something smaller.

As for the purchase, in my case the dealer asked $8k (it was flawless with 2300mi., no OBC though). I offered 7 and he complained and ended up knocking it down to $7800. His reasoning was it was a popular bike, and a used one was rare and would go fast. I guessed as much, but what I've learned since then from people on ADV is the dealers' margin on the bikes is low; it's the accessories and services where they make their money (although with my bike he probably gave the previous owner 2/3's of the price toward the F8 he traded it for). So good luck, but don't expect much wiggle room.
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcolin2u
I have been looking at BMW GS models for a long time and finally have decided to go for it.
I haven't ridden a motorbike in 25yrs so I wlll be taking a weekend riding safety course before I go for my motorcycle test at the DMV.

I have my heart set on a F800GS and wondered if anyone else here on the forum has one as a first bike, because it has been so long for me it will be like my first.

Also, I have never bought a new bike before, can you wheel and deal like buying a car ?
I saw a 30yr anniversary model today at a dealers and it looked awesome, I would love to own that bike.

if your heart is set, anything is possible.

At speed the F800GS is stable and forgiving. It has plenty HP to keep you entertained, but notso much that you need to learn how to deal withtank slapers. The F800GS is an easy bike to learn to go fast on and off road, far easier then most.

At low speed, starts and stops, inseam or talent is important.

My inseam is 32' and even with a low seat, it took some getting used to. Unless your inseam is less then 30", this is not a big deal, but have the dealer install crash bars before you pick the bike up. I would suggest SW Motech bars, cheap and very strong.

The types of oopsies more likely on a tall bike are 5 mph tip overs. With crash bars and hand gaurds this equals a scratch on the bars, without it can cost $500+ on the first tip over.

I have sold2 F800GS's to new riders, one returning after a decade without, one as their first ever motorcycle. Both are happy, neither are dead :)

I would reccomend you get a bike with ABS, it can be a life saver to anyone but especially to a new or returning rider.

There is much less margin in a motorcycles then cars, and less margin in an F800GS then almost any other BMW.

If your dealer likes your personality he may offer a small discount, especially if he or she thinks you are going to be a good customer, but don't expect much.

A few dealers may offer discounts because they are in financhial trouble, but don't expect to build a relationship with them as they are likely to go under.

Every dealer got exactly one 30th year F800GS, so there's even less likelyhood of getting a discount on this bike.

My dealerships business model is to offer very high customer service. We will pick you up if your stranded, deliver your motorcycle to you, invite you on group rides, work technicians overtime if your bike is broken, allow test rides on any bike 5 days a week, and treat you like family.

As such, if you aproach us as a friend and ask for something off, we will probably do it as long as we believe you will be as loyal to us as we will be to you.

If on the other hand you demand sharp discounts bassed on the state of the economy, test ride other models and farkles then price shop to save a few bucks, we will cheerfully give you a map to another dealer of your choosing.

The moral here is don't just shop for the best price, shop for a great dealer, convince them you are going to be a loyal customer, and build a relationship that benifits both of you.

If there are no good dealerships near by, fly to chicago BMW and ride home, they are the cheapest dealer in the USA, but don't expect good service from them.

In any case, awesome bike, have fun, get all the training you can, enjoy the ride!
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
AK_Troyer
Not AKTroy

Oddometer: 143
Buy the F8

I went 16 years without a motorcycle, and after drooling over the GS's for the last 10 years, I finally bucked up and got the 800. I've had her 3 weeks and I'll roll over 2k miles tomorrow (I didn't buy it to look at it).

One of the first things you'll need to buy is a new seat or a comfy cover, because you're ass will go numb otherwise.

Welcome to ADV, and good luck on your decision.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
If you really want to be as safe as you can, you should take the MSF course (like you're planning), buy the bike (plus crash bars!), and then take the Advanced MSF course.

Availability can vary by location, but the general idea for the advanced course is to teach you to ride better *on your own bike.* They're currently rolling out new courses so who knows what they'll teach you, but if you're in the least bit worried about being able to handle your new F800GS, go to one of these and they'll get you riding it like a pro in no time.

Note that I personally haven't taken the advanced course, but I do have friends who have done so and they say it's worth every penny, at least in building your confidence on your bike.

Good luck!!
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:

As long as you're conscious of the concept that your skills aren't 100% yet and ride with a due sense of caution, you'll be fine. Mentally prepare yourself for the probability that the bike will fall over and break bits - crashbars are essential - the 800 is otherwise quite robust in a tipover.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
As long as you're conscious of the concept that your skills aren't 100% yet and ride with a due sense of caution, you'll be fine. Mentally prepare yourself for the probability that the bike will fall over and break bits - crashbars are essential - the 800 is otherwise quite robust in a tipover.
I can attest! I'm sure I've dropped mine at least 20+ times and with crash bars and hand guards the result has only been a couple bent brake/shift foot levers and minor scratches on the crash bars and exhaust. I just take out my multi-tool and bend the levers back into place (they are steel and not aluminum for this exact reason) and ride on!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,764
First bike for me. Test rode a 1200GS and Katoom 990 and decided they were too big, too heavy and too much. Went with the 800GS and love it. If you're still nervous of the power/speed, maybe consider taking the front sprocket down to 15 teeth (check in the index for reports) until you feel more comfortable. Put some crash bars on it and ride with your head, not your wrist and you'll be fine.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
mrcolin2u OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Crash bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I was looking at the F800GS today and was told that crash bars only get in the way and I could get a stick on plastic protector for the side panel that would work just as well. Personally I think the crash bars would offer better protection.
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Stick with your intuition. The plastic is fragile and expensive. Even a standing drop will damage your radiator and probably more. Crash bars would be the first thing I ordered.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
The Givi bars are cheap (<90 euros on ebay), easy to fit, looks nice and protects well.

The bike is really easy and comfortable to ride in lower speeds where the engine vibrates less and the wind becomes less of an issue.

It is not a bike that will tempt you to break a speed record on a long straight road. It is begging to be ridden on unpaved roads.

If you prefer the paved roads but still want the option I would go for the f650gs and a lower seat (depending on how tall you are). The 650gs is more or less an optimum entry level bike. The 800gs is a little bit more wild and a higher price tag.

The upright driving position makes it an easy type of bike to ride and the overall quality is great!

Go for it! (and dont forget protection. Real motorbike stuff. Full face helmet and separate back protector)
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was looking at the F800GS today and was told that crash bars only get in the way and I could get a stick on plastic protector for the side panel that would work just as well. Personally I think the crash bars would offer better protection.
what dealer came up with that crock???
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
wait, perhaps your dealer only carried BMW products? BMW crash bars are worse then nothing at all, they tip the bike right onto the radiator.

Givi are ok, tt are ok, adventure tech bend, sw motech are my favorite for protection, and the cheapest, but they do increase vibration some above 4000 rpm