Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #16
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer
Like the way you have the 530's set up. That head light looks very effective. The tank is an important add on. You've opened my eyes to that bike. I'm normally a Honda XR400 guy but...

I've ridden south out of Virginia City on the way to Death Valley on dirt roads that lead out in the middle of nowhere... so I thought. Ended up passing tycoon ranches with airstrips.
The 530exc has been a great bike! I think it was a perfect bike for this trip, I wouldn't have wanted anything heavier. The light works great, I'm running a 55W halogen bulb and I just aim it low while running on the street.

oh yeah....we ended up passing that same air strip

Hopefully I'll get the next installment up tonight.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #17
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele-steve

Thanks for the write up! We are headed out that direction in about 4 weeks!!!!
The photos are getting me pumped up for it!!!!
You'll have a blast! I can't wait to get back down there again, Beautiful country!

Take lots of pics

Hodakaguy
Old 06-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
Hodakaguy OP

5-29-10...Day 4

We woke up early, loaded the bikes and headed out. We filled up in Yerington:
Bike took: 1.99 gallons
Total Miles: 425

We hit dirt again shortly out of Yerington. A ways out of Yerington we came across the Flying "M" Ranch. This ranch has a 5500' x 50' paved runway!

Aviation Adventurer Steve Fossett took off from this airport on September 3, 2007 and disappeared in his Super Decathlon. They staged the search out of this airport, but he wasn't found until a hiker found his ID card in the Sierra Mountains on September 29, 2008.

Mark riding his XRR.

Stopping for a snack and soaking in the view!

Mark got a little stuck in this snow drift...it was deep. He hopped off, grabbed the bull by the horns and had it out in no time.

We had to ride around a couple snow banks that hadn't melted yet.

Alan resting on his pig.

We headed into Hawthorne NV to get some food and fuel. We ate at Maggies, made a few calls home and were back on the road.

Gallons: 1.56
Miles: 499

This canyon was a blast. Here we stopped to shed some of our winter gear...starting to warm up the farther we get south.

Alan and Mark coming down the trail.

This was a common sight along the trip. There isn't a hill in NV without a hole drilled in it. I love exploring mines but in the interest of time we only stopped at mines that had some kind of structures left, equipment etc.

Next we came to the old mining town (ghost town) of Marietta. Marietta was established in 1867 and originally salt was mined here. Then later in 1872 Francis Smith discovered Borax here and this became the center of the worlds borax market. The mining camp of Marietta became an official town in 1877 that had 150 residents. They had a post office, a store and 13 saloons. Smith established Teel's Marsh Borax Company, that later became the Pacific Borax Salt & Soda Company. Borax was mined here until 1890 when richer deposits were found in Death Valley and the town was soon abandoned. (Information taken from the book "Nevada Trails, Western region")

The workmanship of the stones is amazing. I can't imagine how much effort that took back in the 1800's.

Another decaying structure in Marietta.

Inside between the two big walls.

What's left of the old horse stables.

I feel lucky to get to see what's left of these structures while they are still here. I would love to see some pictures of this town back in it's glory days.

Up above the building relics there are several abandoned mines visible up on the hillside. Alan, Mark and I decided a little side trip was in Order. Off we go.

This was the first mine we arrived at. It had several old relics to explore.

This was the winch shack. It had a winch mounted inside that would pull the ore up out of the mine.

Another angle of the Winch Shack.

And the concrete winch mounting pad inside the shack.

What's left of the head frame. The winch cable would run up over this structure and then down into the mine.

Here is the mine audit. It's a vertical shaft...I wonder how deep it is?

I held the camera out over the hole for a look inside. Anyone what to test that old wooden ladder? Can you say Dry Rot?

They used a narrow gauge rail system to bring the tailings out in ore carts.

Close up of a piece of narrow gauge track that still remains.

A picture of the tailing pile.

Looking back down on the old town site of Marietta.

Another audit on the other side of the hill, we didn't hike over to this one.

After checking out this mine Mark headed back down and Alan and I took one more side trip to another mine.

Although the pics don't look it this road was steep and very rocky!

A few hard rock mines to check out here. Not a lot of mining relics here though.

Inside one of the mines.

Alan heading inside for a look.

Great Views!

If you look closely you can see the remains of a early airstrip. The frame work for the windsock is still down there!

Alan and I headed back down. One the way we noticed the town cemetery and stopped by for a look.

And someone was recently buried here as well!

These little guys were everywhere. I took this picture at the cemetery.

We left Marietta and soon came to the old mining ghost town of Belleville.

Here are a few pics of the old Belleville town site.

These are the rock walls that remain of the old Mill site.

Remains of a cabin.

Part of the old dump site.

Another rock wall. The effort to build all this back in the 1800's must have been incredible!

Not a lot of metal remains at the site. This piece was one of the few pieces around.

After leaving Belleville we headed south again. We rode a really rocky section for a good stretch and stopped for a break at the end of the trail. While everyone was resting I couldn't help but check out a couple more mines on the hillside above us

No way I'm going to enter this one! Yikes. A picture from the front of the audit will have to do.

Looking back out in the direction we just came from.

Heading out again. Lot's of rocks! Had to do a little boon docking here, the trail just disappeared into the scrub.

Back on a rocky power line road.

Soon came to another old mining ghost town, this town was called Columbus. Columbus was initially settled in 1865 when a quartz mill was erected here. In 1871 William Troop discovered Borax in the area and soon there were 4 Borax companies operating in the region. in 1875 Columbus reached it's peak with it's population at 1000 people! It had a post office and a newspaper, "The Borax Miner". By 1881 Borax production had drastically declined and only 100 people remained in the town.
(Information taken from the book "Nevada Trails, Western region")

The construction of this building was wild. The entire structure was built using boxed structures.

Inside another building.

Just outside the building was a open pit. These mines were everywhere in this area, some were fenced and some weren't. Be careful exploring here!

Craig off to check out the Columbus cemetery.

Checking out the cemetery. There were a lot of graves here, but with 1000 people in this town back in it's heyday I guess that's to be expected. The crosses were still standing proud but the paint they were painted with had long since pealed away. The people here are forever lost in time.

We left Columbus and headed south again. Soon we were hauling across another dry lake bed, this one had lots of Salt! The tires made a weird howling sound while flying across the salt.

Mark heading across the lake road.

Another shot of the lake bed.

There was suppose to be a fuel station at the other end of this lake bed....Nope! Nothing but wide open desert. We looked at our maps and weighed our options. It was getting late in the day at this point so we decided to head to Tonopah NV for the night.

Home sweet home for the night in Tonopah.

Mark performing the ritual of letting the bike run the carb bowl dry before bringing it inside for the night.

The bikes all tucked in for the night. We grabbed some food at the worst McDonald's that I've ever eaten at and hit the sack. I was going to change filter skins tonight but I get up early every morning so I'll just do it then.

Awesome day of exploring today!

Total miles so far: 622
Hrs on bike: 84.9

LOTS more to come!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 09:31 AM
Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 638
FANTASTIC!!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,407
Great trip!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #21
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,214
Getting into the outskirts of the Valley of Death...

I'm curious which way you chose to enter into the Valley of Death. Perhaps the northern dunes? There are some hot pools you may be staking out. Of course the bordellos are fun for a cold beer and a laugh at the stables. The beer there is cheap. Hopefully you won't get too parched with the soaring heat. Do tell.
DesertSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #22
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer
I'm curious which way you chose to enter into the Valley of Death. Perhaps the northern dunes? There are some hot pools you may be staking out. Of course the bordellos are fun for a cold beer and a laugh at the stables. The beer there is cheap. Hopefully you won't get too parched with the soaring heat. Do tell.
Not sure exactly what section you are calling the Valley of Death?

Hodakaguy
Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #23
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Keep it Comin'!!!

I'm hooked. Great photos and good history lesson. It's amazing how much energy people were willing to put into these old mining burgs even though they only lasted 10 or 20 years. Thanks for all of your work posting....dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Hodakaguy OP

5-30-10....Day 5

I was up early and needed to get the filter skin changed out on my bike, the weather was great so I pushed the bike back outside and went to work.

New filter skin installed, chain slack checked and gave the bike a good once over for loose bolts ect. Everything looks good! Just a note on the filter skins...they work GREAT! Did the whole trip on just one filter, changing out skins when needed (I carried 7 pre-oiled skins rolled up and sealed in a ziplock bag). Each time I removed the skin the filter itself looked perfect so I just installed a new skin, added a tad more grease to the rim of the filter and sealed it back up. Way easier than carrying a bunch of filters.

We loaded up the bikes, put on our gear and headed out to get breakfast before hitting the trail.....Well that's how it was suppose to go anyways. Mark's BRP started up, then died again and wouldn't re-start. After Mark got exhausted from kicking I gave it a try. Craig is still optimistic that we will be leaving soon and remained in his full moto gear at this point.

Ok...I can't kick any longer. Alan, your up! Alan kicked like crazy for a while but still nothing. I think it's time to pull the tank and see what's going on.

We decided to check the carb to see if something is plugging the jets or ??? While we stayed to work on the bike (and photograph the progress ) Craig headed back into town to the worlds crappiest McDonald's to get a few Egg McMuffins so we could save time eating and get back on the trail sooner.

Our tracks will take us out of town on a road behind this hill, once the BRP is sucking fuel again.

Mark re-installing the carb. Everything looked to be in good cond. We decided to pull the plug and check it out, the diesel that Mark accidentally filled with back in Virginia City may have fouled it out. The plug looked brown and in good cond but we changed it out for a new one anyways, can't hurt.

The plug did the trick With the BRP up and running again and everyone full from the crappy McDonald's we hit the trail again. We fueled up at a local station and met a group of about 30 dual sport riders that were out for a two day ride.

Gallons at fill up: 2.859
Total Miles: 623

After chatting with them for a few minutes we headed out of town. When we rounded the hill (the one mentioned above taken from the parking lot) there was a HUGE old mining dump site that the road cut through. It looks like the miners had been using that back side of the hill for a dump since the 1800's. Thousands of cans and metal bits littered the ground in every direction. There were numerous vehicles parked and people with shovels digging and sifting the dirt, I presume looking for old relics thrown away by the early miners that might hold some kind of collector value today...such as old medicine bottles ect. There was one guy that had a mini walk behind excavator and a gas powered shaker table mounted to a double axle car hauler trailer! Serious stuff. I really should have stopped and taken a few pictures of everyone searching through the dump but we were anxious to make ground and just glanced as we flew by.

This is the road out of Tonopah, the dump site is at the base of the hill in the top of the picture.

Alan cruising down the road.

We passed this large open pit mine and stopped for a few minutes to take a look. There is a building and an abandoned cement truck up on the hill that we didn't check out.

Taken along a sandy portion of the road, skirting a large dry lake bed.

Here we started seeing the first of the Joshua trees. Very cool!

Craig and I decided to walk over and check out one of the tree's. On the way we spotted a UFO! Oh, that's just the cow pie that Craig chucked towards Alan

Craig posing with the tree.

While he was out looking at the tree Craig found a new toy to play with. I think he's missing his wife more every day!

Hmmmm....what's this???

12 power zoom brings us this picture. Looks like the remains of a old mill site just south of the town of Goldfield NV. No trespassing heading to the site so we'll have to bypass this one.

Heading into the town of Goldfield for fuel.

Lot's of old Head Frames still standing around Goldfield.

This guy had a collection of art cars. Leftovers from Burning Man???

We topped off the bikes, picked up a couple snacks, a cold pop and parked across the street at an abandoned service station to rest a bit. While we were there we started talking about when to turn around and head north again. Do we ride another day or take a little more time going back north to find the crashed B24 and to explore some more around the Soldier Meadows area? We talked it over and decided to turn back and start working our way north again. Our tracks would take us a little further south from this point, just about to the gates of Death Valley before we turn north. The decision was made and off we went.

Gallons: 1.1
Miles: 673

Here I stopped to take a couple more pictures of the Joshua trees that were now much more abundant.

Craig coming up to a stop behind me.

Craig and Mark riding through the trees.

Heading across a long open stretch I stopped to take a "Darth Peach Pose".

I'll catch the action from here as the group passes by.

Here they come.

Alan cruising by at 60mph.

Craig and Mark flying by.

Further on down the trail I snapped this picture of Alan.

Time for a break and to grab a snack. We're getting close to our destination now. Fish Lake Hot Springs!

Alan resting in the shade.

Finally we pulled in to Fish Lake Hot Springs. This place is great, except we happened to stop here on Memorial Day Weekend so it was crowded and quite a few of the campers were loud and drunk We set up camp and I walked around to take some pics and check out the views.

Panorama of the Hot Springs.

The hot springs originate in the small concrete structure with a lid on it coming out of the ground at 105 Deg F. The water then flows into the concrete pool then out into the larger ponds. Very nice setup.

Sun setting in the hills. Felt great to just hang around and rest here for the night.

There were quite a few people camped here, we chatted with them for quite a while about the local area, riding dirt bikes etc. After dark when just about everyone was very drunk and obnoxious a couple of camp fires were started and we all stood around the fire for a bit. There was a 84 year old man there (I didn't catch his name) who brought out his harmonica to play us some songs, he played quite a few of the old Hank Sr. songs and wasn't to bad. Here's a picture of him playing the harmonica.

And here's a short video of him playing the Harmonica.

Had another great day on the trail today! Can't wait to see what Tomorrow will bring.

Total Miles so far: 770
Hrs on bike: 89.4

Lot's more to come!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 07:59 AM
Old 06-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #25
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,273
I once spent a night in Gerlach. It is probably the most remote place I have been. I was there on business. Been to Tonopah as well, but not on a bike. I am sure it was in a Ford Taurus. I buried a Ford Taurus out by Pyramid Lake as well, but that is another story. I bet the riding out there is pretty good.

Great report. Thanks for sharing. It takes a lot of time to do this and do it right.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #26
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,214
Fish lake campsite... very nice.

There is an entrance into Death Valley through Cucomungo Canyon( bounce off hw266) that some call the Valley of Death into Death Valley. You connect to a main dirt feeder leading into northern end of Death Valley. Some love to head south at the Eureka fork to the Eureka Dunes. Very picturesque. Some Dakar rally contestants practice their skills here and camp at the campground. I'd say you're getting deep into the bowels of Death Valley at this point and pretty far from home, Toto.
DesertSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Another spectacular report!!
Did you happen to notice if Gerlach had premium fuel. It seems everyone skips the Trego spring so I think we will check it out this week. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!! --subscribed for sure.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #28
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,611
Yeah Hodakaguy! Really enjoying your trip here!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #29
Hodakaguy OP

5-31-10.....Day 6

Woke up to a beautiful morning at the hot springs. I grabbed my camera to capture the sun rise as it was popping up over the mountains.

The moon still high in the sky.

Quiet and calm....Nice!!

Time to get busy breaking down the tent and packing all the gear onto the bike again.

Mark didn't get much sleep this night because of all the drunks carrying their party late into the night. I fell asleep pretty quickly and got a good nights rest, Craig slept with ear plugs and said he slept well also. The only comfort Mark had was knowing that he would wake them up when they had hang overs in the morning with that sweet BRP sound Mark started his bike plenty early to let it "warm up" before we headed out

Craig and I were packed first so we headed out to the near by town of Dyer NV to get fuel before heading north again. We arrived at the "24hr" fuel station to find that their credit card machines were out of service and we would have to wait till 9am to get fuel....it was 7:30am now so we left the bikes parked at the pump and walked across the street to the local bar/restaurant for breakfast. Alan and Mark showed up shortly after and we had a great meal while we waited for fuel.

Filled in Dyer:
Bike Took: 2.694 Gallons
Total Miles: 794

We once again crossed back over the salt lake this time stopping to check out the remains of another mining operation.

Hmmm...whats that?

Someone with a lot of time on their hands picked up a lot of misc pieces of scrap and arranged them into an art exhibit. Cool.

Collapsed building of some kind.

Craig cruising around looking for more relics.

Bikes parked out on the playa.

Old gas powered water pump.

Name of the engine cast into the block.

Soon we were back to the spot where we had to boon dock out through the rocky sage brush to find the trail again. We really wanted to take as many alternate routes as possible on the way back to avoid covering previously ridden ground so we started looking at the topo maps. Yep, there's another road that will take us through the same area so let's go!

Hmmm....those are HUGE tailing piles.

After a long rocky power line road we came to this...Dang! No Trespassing. This was the back entrance to a huge mining operation. Oh well, back down the hill and back through the rocky scrub.

Craig sitting at the locked gate, even with his gear on you can tell his expression....CRAP!

Back into the scrub.

And back onto the trail again.

We crossed through the old town of Belleville again and noticed a small cemetery up on a hill.

We stopped back into Hawthorne NV to get fuel again on the way north, then we were back on the trail again.

Bike Took: 2.711 Gallons
Total Miles: 909

There is another dry lake bed over every hill!

Heading out across the valley.

Another fun canyon to play in.

Craig on the move.

Our goal for tonight was to reach a hot spring just SW of Yerington NV. We hit some great single track and that took us all the way to the hot spring. Unfortunately the hot spring was dry! Dang. It was windy up on the hillside where the hot spring was so we headed down into the valley to camp at a place along the river that we noticed on the way up.

Home sweet home for the night.

Had a river right in our back yard. And a large ORV area behind that!

On the last section of trail (the single track) Alan said he heard a weird noise behind his bike. His dry bag had come loose and was now hanging by the Giant Loop strap that he had looped through it as a safety. He stopped to strap the bag back on but one of his sandals had fallen off the bike and was missing. He was about to go back looking for it when Mark pulled up with the sandal in his hand. The bike wasn't kind to the sandal!

Craig set to work on repairing Alan's shoe while Alan decided to check his air filter and his home brew (hair net) filter skin.

Repair complete. Not pretty but it's wearable again!

Looks like air filter oil will break down hair nets

Not sure if the spare filter Alan brought along is in much better shape.

Alan checking out his repaired sandal. Sweet!

Some previous campers had left some wood behind so we had a fire before we turned in for the night.

Hear the story of how Mark found the sandal out on the trail and Craig describe what happened to it. Funny Stuff.

Total miles so far: 982
HRS on bike: 95.5

Another great day on the trail!

LOTS more to come!

Hodakaguy
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #30
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Great report Hodakaguy -

Nice you can travel that far offroad......I would love that single track - No trees....

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote