Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Airhead old style plug wires for electronic /7

Anyone have an idea on how to replace the 5k ohm spark plug cap/wires with the old school /6 style? Those are 1k ohm as far as I know and understand it will do bad things to my Boyer electronic ignition. Can I make up the difference with spark plugs or does anyone make the /6 ones with 5k ohm wires? I just like the looks better and think it will add to my old school look.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
dotdash
scarecrow n hometown

Oddometer: 51
I'm short on useful details, but I got some nice plug wires for my /5 from a seller on ebay. IIRC, he could make them 5k. If you can't find the guy on ebay, PM me and I'll dig through my history and find an email address.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Jasper ST4

I was wondering if it could be done with 4k wires and attached to the /6 plug cap, which is 1k ohm. Not having ever had one I don't know if the cap separates or is molded to the wires like my /7s.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 956
Where's the problem?

The wires on R100GS (for example) with electronic ignition look just like the "old style" wires. The rest of the motor's the same, so you can count on the wires being the same, i.e. 5K ohms, too.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Jasper ST4

ah, didn't know that, thanks Chris. I'm not up on the GSes. I thought I was weird for preferring that look.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
Where's the problem?

The wires on R100GS (for example) with electronic ignition look just like the "old style" wires. The rest of the motor's the same, so you can count on the wires being the same, i.e. 5K ohms, too.
You're right lkchris, but unfortunately he has the /7, the wires from the GS G/S etcetera are a little shorter. they fit, but are stretched a little tight on install.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
If you get a length of ignition wire from a bulk roll (Some hot rod shops sell it by the foot.) all you'll need to do is install a set of resistor caps and you're done.

I like to use Accel, High Temp, Superstock, 8mm Silicone Wires along with a set of NGK resistor caps. The Accel wire comes in several different
colors and the stuff is super high quality. I installed a set of those wires on my R-90 back in 1990 and while they're on their third or forth set of caps, I'm still running them on my 82RS today. Thats 20+ years and they're still as flexible as the day I bought em and they show no electrical faults. I just wipe the road dirt off using a rag sprayed with WD-40 and they look brand new. Thats pretty amazing!

PS: I bought a set of dual plug wires from that Ebay guy and it looks as if hes selling the same wires and caps on his sets, so I'd have no fear in purchasing from him.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-08-2010 at 01:41 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Jasper ST4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
I like to use Accel, High Temp, Superstock, 8mm Silicone Wires along with a set of NGK resistor caps.
I have good wires, I just want the /6 look.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
This really shouldn't be a problem. The /6 spark plug caps are 5K ohms and look just like /5. You will need new wires to make the connection from coil to plug. I'd be surprised if the old wirwerker coudn't hook you up.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
dotdash
scarecrow n hometown

Oddometer: 51
FWIW, Here is the guy on ebay who sells spark plug wires:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/bmwires/
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,258
Hey
I just found this thread.. Sorry to jump in but here's my deal.

I just changed my spark plug wires. Short story is, I have a colleague who is into muscle cars. I was working out what I thought was electrical bugs On my 77 R100S (was really fuel delivery) He came over and used the Ohm meter to test the wires (not stock as I had NGK boots on the plug side) He saw the 5K ohm resistence and said "wow thats high"
He is a distributor for Fire Core 50 wires (for Muscle cars..- http://www.firecore50.com/ )
He figured Id be better off with wires that had the least resistence. So I got a pair off of him and installed them. I have only ran the bike for around 5 minutes since. I havent tested the resistance but it should be minimal (they say 50 ohm) I have Boyer electrics.. If I keep them in place will I trash the electronic ignition?
Could I leave the wires in place and use the NGK caps?
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...

fyr screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 02:50 PM
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Hey
I just found this thread.. Sorry to jump in but here's my deal.

I just changed my spark plug wires. Short story is, I have a colleague who is into muscle cars. I was working out what I thought was electrical bugs On my 77 R100S (was really fuel delivery) He came over and used the Ohm meter to test the wires (not stock as I had NGK boots on the plug side) He saw the 5K ohm resistence and said "wow thats high"
He is a distributor for Fire Core 50 wires (for Muscle cars..- http://www.firecore50.com/ )
He figured Id be better off with wires that had the least resistence. So I got a pair off of him and installed them. I have only ran the bike for around 5 minutes since. I havent tested the resistance but it should be minimal (they say 50 ohm) I have Boyer electrics.. If I keep them in place will I trash the electronic ignition?
Could I leave the wires in place and use the NGK caps?
Get rid of those things.
Run the solid core wire with the 5K caps.
Just trust me.
Rv

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Get rid of those things.
Just trust me.
Rv
Damn, whats the thinking behind having the resistance at 5k ohms if you dont mind me asking?
84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...
Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Damn, whats the thinking behind having the resistance at 5k ohms if you dont mind me asking?
OK
Im up to speed. Just had an hour to burn and read up 'bout the 5k ohm resistance. Im gonna pop my old NGK wires back on and order a proper set...
Hope no damage from riding with the no resistance wires though..
84 R65
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Get rid of those things.
Just trust me.
Rv

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote