User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
cyclynnut OP
Cyclynnut

Oddometer: 24
Cost for first brake fluid change and Conti tires

I need to have my brake fluids changed as part of the annual service-so I am told. My rear fluid has been dark since purchase(have read all about that). My dealer would only change it for the service fee so did not do it then. He is saying about $100 to change it. I have already had the 12,000 mile service so just need the fluid changed. Is that a fair price? They have screwed me on everything else so far. Any one have a comment on the Conti-attack tires versus the Bridgestone Battlewing.
cyclynnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
If you have any mechanical skill (or can follow instructions), buy a brake pump from Sears and do it yourself. It's not very difficult at all, and you'll save about $75 in addition to knowing you haven't gotten screwed.

I'm not sure if that's a fair price or not, but I know I wouldn't pay that to have it done.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Simonf8gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Very simple; that's how I do it, I'm sure someone will correct me if I forget something

what you need:
- Brake fluid, small bottle is enough for rear brake ($5-10?)
- little wrench to open valve
- piece of plastic hose to fit the valve so you can drain the fluid in a can
(You do not want brake fluid on any painted areas... )
- 10 min of time

Even if it take you an hour to do because it's your 1st time, you still save $90 and you wont save time going at the dealer...

The important thing is to make sure you dont "suck up" air bubbles in your system.

- plug hose to valve, put a can under to collect used oil
- press brake (pump it if needed but never with valve open), open valve, let oil escape, do not release brake until you close the valve, you do not want air bubbles...
- repeat until clear oil come out, make sure there is alway oil in your reservoir, top up when you're done...

A speed valve or other tools just make it faster because you don't need to open/close the valve all the time, but you can do without.

That's the way I've always done with all my cars, it's boring because you need 2 persons and you say: "ok" ... "ok" .... "ok" ... "ok".... for like 10 minutes, but much faster and easier with a bike

Did I miss anything?

---------------------------
08 BMW F800GS
04 Yamaha YZ250 2 strokes
Simonf8gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonf8gs
Did I miss anything?
Reset the stupid computer to no longer ask for the annual service .

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
nuland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonf8gs
Did I miss anything?
I might sound like a dumb, but how do you open the front brake reservoir? Just by twisting the cap? The other day I tried to open it but seemed to have a lock or something inside so I just left it alone
nuland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuland
I might sound like a dumb, but how do you open the front brake reservoir? Just by twisting the cap? The other day I tried to open it but seemed to have a lock or something inside so I just left it alone
There is a "special tool" for that. However if you look at it, there are locking tabs that must be pressed. Bound to be something in your garage that will do it.
Since I never drew Unemployment, never licked a food stamp, never spent a dollar of welfare, did my time in the military, and voted in every election since I've been old enough....I COMPLETELY REJECT THE PREMISE OF "WHITE PRIVILEGE"
upweekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
cyclynnut OP
Cyclynnut

Oddometer: 24
Thanks

I just told my husband how much they wanted and he agrees with you all. He will do it as I watch and then I will do it next time. He is quite the mechanic but has not worked with ABS before. We will follow your advice. Thanks.
cyclynnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Simonf8gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
There is a "special tool" for that.
No way!!! Really?

Here's my "special tool":

I did press the tabs with just my fingers, and twisted the cap, if they really sell a tool for that I'm shocked

08 BMW F800GS
04 Yamaha YZ250 2 strokes
Simonf8gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,207
My "special tool" looks like this... ok ONE of my special tools that is :
(sorry it's early)

http://f800riders.org/forum/showpost...21&postcount=2

My fingers are just too fat to get in there...

It probably goes without saying, but use only good fresh (preferably NEW from a sealed bottle) DOT-4 rated fluid.

On non-ABS systems I think it is like the post above, on ABS systems, I would add the following:

1) Before starting the flush go "exercise" the ABS unit - find a dirt road ;-)
(this helps get the old fluid moving around in the very-expensive ABS controller and makes flushing more effective)

2) Wiith or without ABS there is only one bleeder screw on the rear brakes - at the caliper

With ABS there are two bleeder screws on the front - one at master cyl. on handlebars and one on the caliper - The manual says to do the handlebar bleed, then caliper, and then handlebar bleed A SECOND TIME.

Side note, for a dufus like me anyway, it is easy to get involved in the bleeding session and not watch the reservoir - just be 200% sure you never let the reservoir run low, and keep it off the paint!

JRWooden screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 07:23 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Side note, for a dufus like me anyway, it is easy to get involved in the bleeding session and not watch the reservoir - just be 200% sure you never let the reservoir run low, and keep it off the paint!
Just a tip when that spill does occur. Always have a spray bottle filled with tap water ready to go. When that spill happens flood that area with the sprayer. The water will dilute the brake fluid (DOT 3,4) rendering it harmless to paint and other finishes. The key is to be ready act right away before the fluid can do damage. I goes without saying don't get water near the fluid in your brake system reservoir or other open element. I always prepare in this way when working with brake fluid. I also clean up the job once everything is sealed up with the spray to neutralize any brake fluid residue from the work.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Fluid

A wet towel or rag draped over any areas likely to get splashed works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
Just a tip when that spill does occur. Always have a spray bottle filled with tap water ready to go. When that spill happens flood that area with the sprayer. The water will dilute the brake fluid (DOT 3,4) rendering it harmless to paint and other finishes. The key is to be ready act right away before the fluid can do damage. I goes without saying don't get water near the fluid in your brake system reservoir or other open element. I always prepare in this way when working with brake fluid. I also clean up the job once everything is sealed up with the spray to neutralize any brake fluid residue from the work.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote