Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 334
Thumb Mishaps, Mountain Passes, and Moab…………Six days of Wind, Water, Fire, and Ice!

Photos of where we’re headed (preview pics only.......actual trip photos in follow-on posts)
1st Stop - Lake City

Ouray

Moab

White Rim Trail of Canyonlands National Park

Follow-On / Continuation from my planning thread called "Round-Trip to Moab via Engineer Pass & the Kokopelli Trail" http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543252

Planned Route
Day 1 - Colorado Springs to the Great Sand Dunes National Park
Day 2 - Sand Dunes to Mesa Verde National Park (GREAT RIDE on a bike!!!!!)
Day 3 - Mesa Verde National Park to Canyon Lands National Park
Day 4 - Moab and Canyon Lands National Park to Grand Junction CO via the Kokopelli Trail
Day 5 – Grand Junction to Black Canyon of the Gunnison and Crested Butte area
Day 6 – Crested Butte to Colorado Springs via Schoffield and Independence Pass

Map of planned Route

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 08:32 PM
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
AlabamaCowboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Very nice photographs.... thanks for sharing !
1982 Honda Passport
AlabamaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
brilliant........

Did you schedule around photo op's? Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

New Route Plan

The New Plan
As with all great ride plans, we are being forced to change this one due to obstacles outside of our control (snowpack, road conditions, work schedules, etc., etc.). The first obstacle is the fact that Engineer Pass is still closed because it’s covered by about 14 feet of snow and ice. The second set of obstacles is Jeff J’s work schedule and my last minute maintenance issues (overheating issues). The good news is that all of those obstacles can be overcome and the ride is still a “Go”. So, without going into a diatribe of details regarding the planning of the trip (like my last RR!), I’ll just go ahead and start out with the "Pack Day" and then continue on into the rest of the ride. Once the trip and RR are complete, the actual route taken will be provided via a GPS file from “Texas Jeff” (SprocketTX). So, let’s get to it!

Adjusted Route / Schedule (GPS File and Map will be posted at the end of the RR)
Day 1 (Jeff N. and Rick only) - Colorado Springs to Taylor Reservoir via Ute and Tin Cup Passes
Day 1 (Jeff J) – Travelling from Dallas to Colorado Springs and Sean’s “Man Cave”
Day 1 (Sean) – Still at the BMW Dealership with an overheating problem
Day 2 (Jeff N. and Rick) – Taylor Reservoir to Lake City via Gunnison National Forest roads
Day 2 (Jeff J and Sean) Colorado Springs to Lake City via Gold Camp and Old Stage Roads, Route 9, Marshall Pass, and the Gunnison National Forest
Day 2 Link-Up of both Parties at Lake City - Link up for a few drinks at the Packer Saloon and then travel to camp site somewhere on the Eastern slope of Cinnamon Pass
Day 3 – Morning – Cinnamon Pass to Silverton for lunch and then onto Ouray via Molas Pass, Crystal Lake, and the Million Dollar Highway
Day 3 – Afternoon - Ouray to Moab via the Uncompahgre National Forest, Naturita and Bedrock Road
Day 4 – Moab to our camp site on the Colorado River (inside of Canyon Lands National Park on the White Rim Trail – travelling the loop counterclockwise)
Day 5 – Camp Site (Potato Bottom B) back into the town of Moab via the White Rim Trail (continuing on the counterclockwise loop)
Day 6 – Morning – Moab to Grand Junction via the Kokopelli Trail
Day 7 – Grand Junction to Colorado Springs via whatever dirt roads and scary passes we feel like taking at that stage of the trip! : )

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 03:58 PM
Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
Did you schedule around photo op's? Bruce
Bruce,
No but it just sorta worked out that way. My original plan was to do the ride report while we were on the road BUT the "Mishap" part of this RR's Title came into play on Day 2 of our trip.

Yeah, that was the BRAND NEW 3GS video and web publishing capable iphone I bought for this trip. Long story short, I had a bit too much "American Honey" the night before and the entire iphone (screen, waterproof case, internal metal frame, and battery) got totally demolished when it fell off of my tank bag the next morning. Well, that little fall PLUS the fact that it then got smashed between my right fork and the frame of the bike just as I was pulling out of the camp site! Yeah, it could have been REAL BAD if it had happened on one of the cliff-side / high speed corners we encountered a few miles down the road!

Anyway, we then had to rely on the back-up / old school video camera, disposable cameras, and one small digital camera for capturing the rest of the trip. Yep, I was seriously bummed to say the least!

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-08-2010 at 06:32 PM
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Thumb Special Thanks to the guys at Pikes Peak Motorsports!!!!!

Before I go into posting the stuff for Day 1 of the trip, I want to send a special "Shout Out" to the guys at Pikes Peak Motorsports here in Colorado Springs. They're the guys who saved my bacon as far as making this trip goes! To make a long story short, I was having an overheating problem on the F8 and it was one day prior to the scheduled departure day for this trip. The problem ended up being minor (my fault actually!) but the fact that they got me in on the same day, got me taken care of and out the door in less than 12 hours was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!! So, hats off to Danny the Scheduler & Parts Man, Kevin the Chief / Master Mechanic Guru, and Larry the Service Manager / Miracle Worker ~ You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Left to Right ~ Danny, Kevin, and Larry

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-09-2010 at 03:59 PM
Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Day 1 - Trip Prep stuff while waiting on Jeff J. to arrive from Texas

So, while Jeff N. and Rick H. were on their way to Taylor Reservoir to get the party started, Jeff J. (SprocketTX) was on the road from Dallas Texas and I was picking up my bike from the dealership / prepping it for the trip (ie., mounting the new Denali Rack, Riggs Top Bag, and Cortech cases, packing my last minute items, etc., etc.)

Denali Rack ~ Installed and ready for Cortech Cases and Riggs Top Bag

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 09:20 AM
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778

If I wasn't already committed to something else that weekend, I wanted to go. Interested to see how it went.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

EJWPC,
No problem man. It's "All Good" as they say and we'll keep you posted on our next big trip. Bushwacker06 and I were actually up in your area on Sunday for the "Wild One's Dual-Sport Poke Run / Geo-Caching Race / Scavenger Hunt" ride put on by Tri-City Cycles and NYPUM. AWESOME Ride!!!!!!! Bushwacker06 and I managed to find 7 out of the 17 points that day. Not too shabby for a couple of rookies!!!!!! He and I have already talked about putting a run like this together here in the Springs! We'll keep ya posted.

PS. The White Rim Trail and your DR 650 would have been a great match! Just be sure not to pack anything on top of your the back half of your seat. You'll need that area for your counterbalance (yer arse!) while in the sandy bits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWPC

If I wasn't already committed to something else that weekend, I wanted to go. Interested to see how it went.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Day 1 - Jeff and Rick Get the Party Started!

Jeff N. and Rick logged approximately 140 Miles (100 Slab and 40 Dirt) today. They attempted to cross over Cottonwood Pass but were turned away due to heavy snow accumulations over the past few months. They then back-tracked to 285, shot over Monarch Pass, and then blasted down CR76 (intersection at Parlin and US 50) in order to make camp at Taylor Park Reservoir before dark (see attached map for details)

Landmark at Parlin for CR76

I've never been to Taylor Park but I've heard it was an awesome place for fishing. Here's a postcard shot I found online at http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com/ Looks Nice!

Jeff and Rick - Chime in and / or post photos from your Day 1 Adventures at any time.

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-10-2010 at 09:31 PM
Old 06-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Looks and sounds like a fantastic ride!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Thanks!!!!!

Gadget Boy,
Thanks for the compliments on the RR and thanks again for the cool stickers, camp flag, and all the other sundry items from your ADV "Closet". Super fast service, super fast shipping, and great products all the way around! Thanks again and stay tuned..............Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Looks and sounds like a fantastic ride!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
gypsyrr
in flux

Oddometer: 592
In.......

Too bad about the phone.
I took mine to Apple last week because the screen suddenly went white after a short fall. They were able to fix it. No charge. No questions. But by the looks of yours, I doubt you could pull that off!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
BeemerBizz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Sorry that I missed this one Sean...I'm sure it was awesome.

BeemerBizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Yep, that sucker was BROKE somethin' serious! I actually tried to plug it in when we got to the hotel in Moab but to my amazement, it became an instant hand-warmer ~ not good! Anyway, I went ahead and bought a new one when I got home and all was good until I heard that Mr. Jobs was introducing the new 4G ~ Two weeks from now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrr
In.......

Too bad about the phone.
I took mine to Apple last week because the screen suddenly went white after a short fall. They were able to fix it. No charge. No questions. But by the looks of yours, I doubt you could pull that off!