User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Heading south to ride some mountains

Just another day of work back in the spring of 2008. Driving around with a few of my co-workers while one of them was reading an issue of Cycle World magazine. It was the May 2008 copy. I just happened to see one of the pages inside and I saw a new bike called the BMW F800GS. Thats what started it all, after I got a chance to read that article I knew I wanted one. Now two years later it was time for my first big trip on the F800GS. All loaded up in the garage before heading out on is maiden voyage.

The plan is to head south into tennessee, north carolina, and virginia to do some riding in the mountains while stopping to see some friends and family along the way. I also wanted to ride the tail of the dragon. I had a few waypoints set in my garmin 60csx and if I was close along the way I figured I stop and check them out.

Neil Armstrong air and space museum just off of I-75 in Wapakoneta, Ohio. I was there before it opened, but I didn't plan on going inside as I've been here before many years ago.

Along with a F5D Skylancer out in front of the museum.

The goal for the day was to make it to Nashville for the end of the first day but I made it through Ohio in good time so I made a slight detour in Louisville, Ky. I stopped by Churchill Downs for a few quick pictures. I'm not a fan of horse racing but it was close by so I figured I'd stop to see the place.

The Barbaro Sculpture in front of Churchill Downs with Barbaro's ashes interred beneath the sculpture.

Just south of Louisville Fort Knox with The U.S. Gold Bullion Depository. Where's all the gold?

Easily visible from highway 31W. The clouds hung low and dark for most of my first day of riding only later in the day by the time I had reached Nashville did I recieve some sun and clear sky.

The Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee is a full-scale replica of the original Parthenon in Athens. Turns out it was built in 1897. My friend Carly showed me around the city a bit that night.

We planned breakfast the next morning after she helped me out with a place to stay for the night. After breakfast the next morning the weather wasn't looking the greatest. I figured I could beat the rain clouds but got caught in a down pour shortly after saying goodbye to Carly. The rain came down in buckets from about 30 mins. Sorry no pics of the downpour I was too busy putting my rain gear on.

I ended up making it to Knoxville, TN that night for plans of riding the tail of the dragon. I stopped at the shop of dualsporttouring.com just west of Knoxville around 5:30 that evening. I learned from Francois "Guy in Charge" shop owner that there was a rock slide on the north side of US129. A detour of about 3 hours was required to get to the dragon. To top it off they close the dragon from 8pm to 8am. So much for riding it today. If your ever in eastern TN and need dual sport items check out dual sport touring. Sorry no pics I was too busy talking and checking out the shop. After getting a good night rest I hit the road at 6:30 am hoping to get some good riding in and be able to ride the dragon. Within 30 minutes of leaving for the morning the rain from yesterday started to catch me.

Many pictures here while heading into the mountains just outside of Tellico Plains. I took 165 to 143 into the cherokee national forest and Nantahala National Forest. Some great roads even though the weather was less than ideal.

At just over 5235 ft the weather turned even worse rain and fog (clouds) it was a slow go after passing into North Carolina.

My view ahead into the uknown.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
TrappedAtWork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Keep going!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Nice trip!! Man, you pack light!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

After decending out of the clouds it was back to just a light rain. These national forests have some great riding. I stopped for a few pictures and to take in the sounds and smells from the rainy spring morning.

I could ride these roads all day.

I was getting close to US129, the sign ahead shows 6 miles to go.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Nice trip!! Man, you pack light!

I was gone for a little over 4 days, I had the Great Basin Saddlebag by Giant Loop and my back pack. Worked great even in the rain. I actually didn't even use half of the items I took, but the frogg toggs got plenty of use.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

The anticipation of getting to ride the dragon was starting to build. I had to make sure take it easy as the roads where still very wet and the corners could catch you off guard if you let your attention slip.
I passed the The Cheoah Dam which was used in the filming of The Fugitive.

Soon after I arrived at Deals Gap, NC. The rain had for the most part quit and the road conditions where slowly beginning to improve. Although they where still damp in many of the shade covered areas.
I took it easy for the first ride on the dragon as not wanting to add any of my bikes parts to the tree of shame.

Beware of the Tennessee State Troopers they patrol the area as soon as you cross over from NC. Here's one sitting as soon as you come into TN (left side of picture).

I bought some shirts and stickers after my first successful ride after making it back to deals gap.
I figured since I had come all this way why not ride it again. This time I kept my bike in 2nd gear for the entire road to get a good jump out of the corners. I never once shifted just a lot of on the throttle then hard on the brakes before the next corner. It was a blast on the GS. It took me almost 25 minutes to go 11 miles.

After a few stops to take in the view on the overlook and along the road I made my way back to deals gap.

I had plans to stay at my Uncle's house in Roanoke, VA. I left heading east along 28 which is a great road to ride as well. I had my gps set to route me on a faster time, but for some reason it took me off 28 by the fontana dam. It was a pleasant surprise.

Next was even more of a surprise. The gps showed the route to turn right before the dam even though it looked a big untraveled. I figured why not I'll see where this goes.

I figured why not I'll see where this goes.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Thumb Can't wait to see

How this goes. I just returned from the same are last week. Its incredible riding. Definately subscribed...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
Looks like so much fun! Good for you!
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
????

What sort of bike were you riding???

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
1994klr250 OP
Studly Adventurer

Found my way out back onto the highway after a short ride through the woods.

I eventually made it to interstate 81 to make it to my Uncle's by that evening. He allowed me to stay the night and feed me a great meal.

I left the following day with the only plans to make it somewhere into West Virginia.

New River Gorge Bridge.

The original bridge that used to carry traffic across the river.

After leaving the New River Gorge I made my way home the riding late into the night for a round trip of about 1812 miles. Well worth the trip as the roads through the mountains are a blast to ride even though I had rain and overcast conditions most of the days.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
mondays buddy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Crash bars

What kind of crash bars are on your bike?

Thanks.
mondays buddy is offline   Reply With Quote