Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #16
jack82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
What comments if any do you guys have on this?

Im really looking for a bike between the 650R and the 450X. Slowly the motor down a little is cool with me as I dont need lots of revs

650R would be great for the type of riding you describe.......too heavy??
jack82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #17
rmhrc628 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack82
650R would be great for the type of riding you describe.......too heavy??

Yeah - plus the CRF450X is closer to what I want. Revs a bit more than the XR628 I have. Has better parts standard. Is newer. More options. Much lighter.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #18
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,476
This may be of interest to you...take a wee peep at my ride report contained therein,if you wish...it'll give you an idea of what a CRF can do long term...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576833
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 12-17-2010 at 09:40 AM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Subscribed!

Looking to do something similar with a 450x myself.
RallyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #20
RiosLibres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Great report, and very usefull !!
I am in the process of getting a crf x, with which I am planning to do trail riding and pretty long off road trips here in Paraguay.
I currently own a XR 650 R, great for open trail riding and every day use, but a little too heavy to follow my friends in tight trails.
I already made this question, but I had very few responses: Having the crf x, should I keep the 650 r for relatively long trips and day use? Or, should I cange it for a KLR 650? I am just afraid that there will be a gap of roads and trips that I can not cover with the crf and klr. But, on the other hand, running through the Gran Chaco (a region similar to the outback in Australia), for 1500 km in 2 to 3 days, the XR is not very confortable.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosLibres
I already made this question, but I had very few responses: Having the crf x, should I keep the 650 r for relatively long trips and day use? Or, should I cange it for a KLR 650? I am just afraid that there will be a gap of roads and trips that I can not cover with the crf and klr. But, on the other hand, running through the Gran Chaco (a region similar to the outback in Australia), for 1500 km in 2 to 3 days, the XR is not very confortable.
Rios, unless you need to carry a pessenger in comfort or lots of heavy luggage stick with the XR650R, you will find the KLR way too melow. Fix something to the seat for comfort if needed.

I want to hear more about the 450 project.
At a local ride I heard a 2010 Paris Dakar finisher, Patrick Trahan, talk about how reliable the Honda 450s were. (One engine change, half way through the PD rally, not because they had to chage it but because they had a spare).
So look at the preps of the Dakar Honda 450s, specially if money is not a limiting factor.

Saludos,
Eduardo
XR650R, ex KLR

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,289

rm, I've seen pictures of your XR I think on TT. Your bike impressed me soooo much I printed pictures of it for my files. What a GREAT looking bike. I've always wanted to get a 600 and was going to use your photos as a bench mark. I'm a big fan of my XRR and have always been tempted to buy a 450 X. Can't wait to see what YOU can do with your new bike.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #23
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I dont think your being honest with yourself, as cool, interesting and awsome as this project would be your about to rebuild the wheel in the name of brand loyalty.
The 08 onwards engines in the KTM's the oil migration i tought was a simple fix they would take care of under warranty, and the cam chain tensioner is a simple cheap fix also.
The weird handling i agree with, but it has so much more going for it than the CRF, if the only real gripe you have other than brand loyalty is that it "handles weird". You really need to reconsider and at least go test ride a 530 or even a late RFS 525.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #24
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
I dont think your being honest with yourself, as cool, interesting and awsome as this project would be your about to rebuild the wheel in the name of brand loyalty.
The 08 onwards engines in the KTM's the oil migration i tought was a simple fix they would take care of under warranty, and the cam chain tensioner is a simple cheap fix also.
The weird handling i agree with, but it has so much more going for it than the CRF, if the only real gripe you have other than brand loyalty is that it "handles weird". You really need to reconsider and at least go test ride a 530 or even a late RFS 525.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
RAD800, with ALL due respect I have to say that I understand the OP position. I to have be a long standing Honda fan. I know sometimes it like swimming up stream. But I can't help myself. I've ALWAYS leaned towards the 'other' choice. I just can't jump on the KTM band wagon.

RIDE RED...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #25
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Mate im... was exactly the same way, and i know where he's coming from its just sometimes theres a cheaper more suitable option somewhere else, has nothing to do with jumping on the KTM bandwagon they just happen to make a more suitable bike out of the box that has little to no problems.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #26
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
My local Honda dealer has offered me a new 2008 CRF450X for $6500.
This seems a bit high for a 2 (almost 3) year old bike.
What is a fair price to pay for it?
Were there any improvments to the '09 and '10s that would make them vastly superior to an '08?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #27
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,369
I'm in. Sounds cool to me.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #28
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
Greetings,
My local Honda dealer has offered me a new 2008 CRF450X for $6500.
This seems a bit high for a 2 (almost 3) year old bike.
What is a fair price to pay for it?
Were there any improvments to the '09 and '10s that would make them vastly superior to an '08?

ktm950se
I wouldn't give a dollar over 5k otd AT MOST!!!

Give'm 4500
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #29
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
Or consider a '09 or later Husaberg which has not weird handling, but great handling by all accounts.

I keep hearing people talk about KTMs as if they are some fragile finicky race bike, and they really aren't.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #30
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
You are right, I do know that and should have caught it. Haven't had my coffee yet!

Who makes the wide ratio gearbox for the CRF, is it OEM or aftermarket? If somebody made one for the 690 I would probably sell 3 or 4 of my bikes and get one.
IIRC Baja Designs used to make a wide ratio gear set. Give them a call, they may have a set sitting on a bench collecting dust.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote