User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
cracked fuel tank.

Just updating y'all. After a good cleaning I noticed a crack along the external side of the fuel tank, under the painted cowl. Contacted the dealer and BMW does recognize a problem and will cover it under warranty if you complain about it. BMW is not going to issue a recall because it is "strictly cosmetic" and the tank is double walled so this will not cause an issue. I will try to upload some pictures later. Good luck
-Jason

In honor of Gregory N. Millard
Son - Brother - Hero
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Big long thread on that over here:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30073

Long story short, the tank has been redesigned.

Some folks report the new tank as being slightly wider and causing a minor issue with panniers, otherwise, all happy campers with new tank.

I need to get one on mine, but am in no hurry at this point!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden

Some folks report the new tank as being slightly wider and causing a minor issue with panniers, otherwise, all happy campers with new tank.

I wonder if that's the problem with my H&B racks not fitting properly?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I wonder if that's the problem with my H&B racks not fitting properly?
It could be ... In thread on F800Riders I think one guy had the Jesse cases, and after getting his new tank the gas cap rubbed on the inside of the panniers whereas before replacement there was clearance.

Tolerance stack-up when designing pannier frames has got to be a crap job to try and accomdate...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
It could be ... In thread on F800Riders I think one guy had the Jesse cases, and after getting his new tank the gas cap rubbed on the inside of the panniers whereas before replacement there was clearance.

Tolerance stack-up when designing pannier frames has got to be a crap job to try and accomdate...
That would be me. After a week or so that stopped being an issue, I guess things settled in. Probably just a difference in how the racks were installed since they had to removed to swap the tank. I ended up having to readjust the exhaust side too (but not for anything that had to do with the tank) so I'm pretty sure the tech wasn't careful enough when he reinstalled the racks. I know it was closing time and he finished after the shop was supposed to be closed so . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
That would be me. After a week or so that stopped being an issue, I guess things settled in. Probably just a difference in how the racks were installed since they had to removed to swap the tank. I ended up having to readjust the exhaust side too (but not for anything that had to do with the tank) so I'm pretty sure the tech wasn't careful enough when he reinstalled the racks. I know it was closing time and he finished after the shop was supposed to be closed so . . .
No, my problem was on the other (exhaust) side anyway.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:

Hmm, I was at the dealer yesterday to get that and some other stuff done, and they said that BMW was still researching the issue, and that while they'd replace the tank under warranty, it was the same one, and would probably crack again.

Very strange...
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe
Hmm, I was at the dealer yesterday to get that and some other stuff done, and they said that BMW was still researching the issue, and that while they'd replace the tank under warranty, it was the same one, and would probably crack again.

Very strange...
BOTH the dealers here in the DFW area are giving me the run-around. One claims BMW is still working on a fix, the other doesn't know anything about the issue (bullshit).

I'm not too worried about it but since I do all my own maintenance I'm about to request it done under warranty regardless of what my dealers know. This will force them to order the part and at least check out my bike for any other issues while they are at it (these guys are good like that but they usually are under-informed).
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 997
I just stopped by my dealer and they scheduled the hose recall and I showed the service manager the tank cracks. He said he knew nothing about it. I explained many others were experiencing the same issue and BMW was replacing them. He went into the shop and came back out telling me he ordered the parts to take care of both issues. I'm just waiting for the call now.
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Odd. This really is either dealer run around, or the service bulitin escaped their notice.

I can see a service buliten escaping notice of a dealer that doesent do that many f800gs's, but I'm still sorry about it.

This only applies to the USA, but I will post the bulliten #, as soon as I find it.

The bulliten says something to the effect of "if customer complains about tank cosmetic covering crack, replace it on warranty".

Redesigned tanks have been out for a long time.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
HayBailEY
Groovy

Oddometer: 32
Here's a link to the NHTSA, where you can lodge a complaint if you so desire: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I had to fight for a new tank, but finally got one.

Love the bike, but not the BMW experience so much.
HayBailEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Odd. This really is either dealer run around, or the service bulitin escaped their notice.

I can see a service buliten escaping notice of a dealer that doesent do that many f800gs's, but I'm still sorry about it.

This only applies to the USA, but I will post the bulliten #, as soon as I find it.

The bulliten says something to the effect of "if customer complains about tank cosmetic covering crack, replace it on warranty".

Redesigned tanks have been out for a long time.
Please do Joel! I will bring your information to my dealer, they are usually helpful but might need some prodding.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Joel, if you could point to someplace where it actually mentions the redesigned tanks, I'd appreciate it. My service manager (a guy I trust) is connected pretty high up in BMW NA, but he doesn't know of them coming up with a redesign, only researching it. If you have a bulletin I can print out and bring him, or a part number different from the normal tank, that'd be a huge help.

One of the other guys, who I didn't know, tried to tell me he knew nothing of the F800GS having issues with the chain!

edit: Never mind... Service manager just called me, evidently he missed the memo. After I spoke to him yesterday, he called BMW, and confirmed that I was correct - BMW does have a redesigned tank that won't crack. There are currently 72 in the country, so it should be no problem getting one for whomever still needs it.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red

dendrophobe screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 02:09 PM
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe
Joel, if you could point to someplace where it actually mentions the redesigned tanks, I'd appreciate it. My service manager (a guy I trust) is connected pretty high up in BMW NA, but he doesn't know of them coming up with a redesign, only researching it. If you have a bulletin I can print out and bring him, or a part number different from the normal tank, that'd be a huge help.

One of the other guys, who I didn't know, tried to tell me he knew nothing of the F800GS having issues with the chain!
Your service manager's connection is disconnected!

It's been redesigned, all the old tanks have been purged from the system, and the dealers are all (the five, now four, in my area) well aware of it and are replacing them without question anymore.

Tell him to contact Derek Anton at BMWNA. He is one of their lowly (sarcasm), not well-connected customer service agents who contacted me as a direct result of posting to this and other internet forums to get the issue resolved....along with several other issues now fixed.

Here's a link to a chronology of my experience -

LINKY

Old 06-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Sorry guys, I think I was wrong.

If there is any service bulliten about cracking tanks, I can't find them.

That said, we have been replacing them for some time without question through regular PUMA warranty channels.

So.... Go to your dealer, if they know nothing about this, ask them to submit a PUMA and order the tank when they get the afirmative responce.

As to the redsign, yes It has definantly been redisigned, just go look at a bike on the showroom floor that's a 2010. The radius of the edge where cracks occur is now much less acute.

Insisting they submit a PUMA, which is a standard warranty procedure and it should clear everything up.

As to the chains, if one didn't browse the web, no one in the USA would be aware of this. It is only a recall in some other countries at this time. It may never be recalled here, but my guess is it will in a month or two.

It takes time to build inventory for doing world wide recalls and all manufactures tend to do these in stages.

Also for all I know, the chains being recalled were never installed on USA bound bikes.

I doubt this because I haven't been real impressed with early chains on these bikes, but have no conclusive knoweledge.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote