ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Question Veteran's Day weekend, but where to go, what to see?

I am considering taking Friday off and doing a 4 day bike trip. I'm looking for 1) good twisty roads, 2) good scenery 3) a little bit of adventure.

I'll be starting from Washington, DC.

But I need some suggestions! Where should I go, cool things I should see, etc...

Right now, I'm leaning towards going to New River Gorge Bridge, and exploring that general area. Another option would be the Outer Banks, but I don't think there are any good roads out there.... I would prefer to head south, because of weather...

So... where should I go?
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
I am considering taking Friday off and doing a 4 day bike trip. I'm looking for 1) good twisty roads, 2) good scenery 3) a little bit of adventure.

But I need some suggestions! Where should I go, cool things I should see, etc...

Right now, I'm leaning towards going to New River Gorge Bridge, and exploring that general area. Another option would be the Outer Banks, but I don't think there are any good roads out there.... I would prefer to head south, because of weather...

So... where should I go?

Ask those guys on dcsportbikes.com, they should be able to help.

Been to outerbanks, there is nothing there. You can ride on the beach, thats the only reason I would go there again.

The new river gorge has plenty of stuff to see. Just get a map and look for twisty roads. Simple.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Go West and South...

Hey Witold - I was temperarily assigned in DC for a year or so. I took a bike with me to see the countryside on weekends. I did quite a bit of the eastern shore. Other then a couple Chesapeak bergs, it wasn't very interesting.

I enjoyed the mountains west and south of DC. Even PA. If I had 4 days, I'd be going back roads to Gettysburg, then working south thru New River Gorge to Knoxville, then back east across the mtns and north again to DC. Great country and lots of fun roads to buzz. It was new for me, so I probably missed all the attractions. But I loved it through there. I'd stay off that Blu Ridge Pkwy thing, though. It was too slow with sightseers.

Have fun - Pantah
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
scorch
Poser

You ever try going somewhere else other than the new river gorge. There are other places to see. Try going north for once.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:

So... where should I go?
I expect everyone will tell you WVa is 100x better for general motorcycle riding goodness because it is. Even the interstates are kinda fun to ride there. Outer banks is long and straight w/ not much to see except (if your bike is up to it) there are a few places where you can go on the beach. When you get to Hatteras / Ocracoke you either have to go back the way you came or take a REALLY long ferry ride (2+ hours) to cedar Island or Swan Quarter.

If you really want to go down the coast, a better option IMO is to take back roads down the mainland side of the sound. A couple (literally - there are 2 ) curves, a few short ferry rides, more to see and way less touristy.. Look up places like Manns Harbor, Swan Quarter, and Beaufort NC
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Witold OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
You ever try going somewhere else other than the new river gorge. There are other places to see. Try going north for once.
I've never been to the new river gorge.

I want to go south, because I don't have an electric vest yet, and I prefer warmer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
There are other places to see.
Then why don't you be constructive and suggest some of these palces? Give me ideas, whet my appetite. That's why I made this post.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,159
You should look into buying a heated jacket. I love mine. Let's me ride all winter. Obx is ok. I go on day trips from DC to ride in the sand. But only if it's cold. The sand is harder, and I don't get stuck so much. It's kind of a boring ride down, though. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions. Having 2 days off a week is new to me. I'm used to 1 or none.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,195
Quote:
I want to go south, because I don't have an electric vest yet, and I prefer warmer weather.
Much of the twisty goodness SW of here is at some elevation and will therefore be a bit nipply this time of year. You won't necessarily need an e-vest but don't expect warm "southern" weather either.

From D.C. head west into West Virginny. Turn south and roll for a day or two, wiggling over hill and dale. Sneak into N.C.. Turn NE and head for the barn. If you keep moving you'll have a fun four days.

If you give us a better idea of where exactly you want to go we can give you better route suggestions.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
scorch
Poser

Quote:
I've never been to the new river gorge.

Then why don't you be constructive and suggest some of these palces? Give me ideas, whet my appetite. That's why I made this post.
Fooled me, with all your talking about going to the new river gorge, I would think you been there tons of times.

I agree with xsquiggy, that area where Steverino lives is great. Probably the best roads in VA. As much as I like it, there are many other places I like riding. Pennsylvania is pretty cool, if you go towards state college.

With 4 days, try going to the mountains in Georgia. If I had 4 days, id ride up to new england. Or Ohio. Or niagara falls. Or tennesse. Im tired of riding in VA.

Try riding to the eastern shore, then following the coast down. Its not as boring as most people lead you to think. But I would avoid the outer banks. It basically has 1 road going north and south, and no smaller roads to avoid the traffic.

I rode there on my klr650, and really loved riding on the beach. Thats the only good part.

If you have a gps you can find backroads everywhere.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM   #10
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
5-Day Forecast for ZIP Code 28746
Tue56° | 33° Clear Detail
Wed55° | 35° Partly Cloudy Detail

Thu60° | 41° Chance of Rain Detail

Fri51° | 33° Chance of Rain Detail

Sat50° | 30° PartlyCloudy Detail

days'll be nice ... be somewhere by dark, it gets chilly quick when a mountain blocks the sun late in the day
get a e-vest
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E

xtphreak screwed with this post 11-09-2004 at 12:08 PM
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:30 PM   #11
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,240
Lot’s of good suggestions, I agree with the Mushman that it prolly will be nippy unless you ride way south or go to the OBX (OBX is interesting for a naturalist, but not so much for a motorcyclist). Xsquiggy’s suggestion about goin down Blacksburg way is a good and Scorch’s Idea on PA is not a bad one at all – State College area and then MikeO had a interesting report on Centralia, Pa http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm - would make a great ride IMHO . Also Google on the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon in the Tioga State Forest http://www.visittiogapa.com/grandcanyon.html Would love to join ya, but no can do at this time mate…
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote